PDA

View Full Version : Anyone send a slide back for refinish?

Shark1007
02-03-2015, 12:32 AM
I've been carrying my older CCO quite a bit lately and the slide finish is looking bad, sort of washed out looking.

Anyone send one back? Suggestions, the finish is just unacceptable.

dw1911
02-03-2015, 07:57 PM
Email Keith at DW. He'll treat you right! PM Me if you need His email

Riverpigusmc
02-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Might also check into Dave Severns Hard Hat

Caleb
02-03-2015, 09:33 PM
No but, I need to send both STI's for a refinish. Thinking of the hard hat as pig mentioned.

Sheepdog
02-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Keith will take care of it.

GD2A
02-03-2015, 09:56 PM
No but, I need to send both STI's for a refinish. Thinking of the hard hat as pig mentioned.

Some day I'm going to send my ORM 1991 Commander to dave for HH. It's the first Colt I bought so I reason it deserves something special!

Shark1007
02-08-2015, 06:28 AM
I'm strongly considering Mahovsky's Metalife, good rep. fair price for a slide (70 bucks) and been doing it for 30 years. I just need to see how backed up he is.

I'm also wondering what the price would be for Google Chrome, I see it advertised a lot. (just checking to see if you were awake)

brownie
02-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm strongly considering Mahovsky's Metalife, good rep. fair price for a slide (70 bucks) and been doing it for 30 years. I just need to see how backed up he is.

I'm also wondering what the price would be for Google Chrome, I see it advertised a lot. (just checking to see if you were awake)

I see what you did there ;)

GD2A
02-08-2015, 10:33 AM

Please report back with the current wait times. His pricing seems very fair - thanks for introducing me to another resource.

sdmc530
02-08-2015, 11:56 AM

STI's only downfall is there finish...not good. When the time comes for my three STI's for new surface it will be hard hat!

Caleb
02-08-2015, 02:03 PM
STI's only downfall is there finish...not good. When the time comes for my three STI's for new surface it will be hard hat!

Exactly, except I will probably do one in HH and the other in HC.

Rick McC.
02-08-2015, 04:00 PM
I actually prefer the "used a bit" look to new myself:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm115/rmccleery/Photo1-20.jpg (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/rmccleery/media/Photo1-20.jpg.html)

sdmc530
02-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Rick you are right on but at some point you have to refinish the metal to make it last "forever" That is a beautiful gun with great wear, super nice looking but if say %60 of the finish is gone I would refinish it.

Shark1007
02-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Talked to the owner this morning, he said 30 day turn around time. I think I will send the DW to him and see the results and then maybe send the New Agent and STI if it looks good. He seemed a pretty matter of fact guy.

As I think, I may do the whole pistol, not sure, what says the group? Concealed is concealed, so no worries there.

My FTO forever ago carried a nickel 1911 and dipped the end of the barrel in shoe black enamel. When I asked, he told me "it scares the bejesus out of folks when you pull it on them, all they can see is a .70 caliber looking barrel pointing at them"

I will post pics.

Xbonz
02-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Have you checked out Ford's? They're in Florida..

http://www.fordsguns.com/

Shark1007
02-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Bonz

I looked at them, but they are exactly twice the price of the other guy. Have you had anything dome by them?

Xbonz
02-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Bonz

I looked at them, but they are exactly twice the price of the other guy. Have you had anything dome by them?

Nope, and at twice the price not likely to either.. :D

aqualungs
02-11-2015, 10:58 AM
There are the 3 Hard Chrome places I have been researching for my SS Vbob. Also for my RIA compact, but I may Hardhat or Black Chrome or even go 2 tone.

Metalife (in PA only one state over!)
Read they do take longer than what they say, but work has been good. Typical smaller family operation. I kind of like that! $155 to chrome Semiauto

APW Cogan
Great work more high volume in a big corporate setting. Heard very good things, and people highly reccomend them. They also do custom work. They are the second cheapest at $200

Metaloy
Supposedly the original? Most expensive but they have that great Matte look that I like on a SS pistol. I may pay the extra, but what I am tripping over is I can get 2 guns done at Metalife vs 1 @ Metaloy. I am not sure if paying more $ is worth it over the other two? It's about $300 to chrome a semiauto

milkmanjoe
02-11-2015, 02:10 PM
George lives a ten minute walk from me.....gets great reviews on the forums.....haven't seen him in a year, Thanks to this thread I remembered some work I want done.

http://gunblue.homestead.com/

Caleb
02-11-2015, 02:27 PM
George lives a ten minute walk from me.....gets great reviews on the forums.....haven't seen him in a year, Thanks to this thread I remembered some work I want done.

http://gunblue.homestead.com/

Looks like he is booked up till the end of April, gives me time to save up. Will shoot him an email for quote. Thanks Joe.

milkmanjoe
02-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Looks like he is booked up till the end of April, gives me time to save up. Will shoot him an email for quote. Thanks Joe.

Yup, ya never know with him...people who can drop off and pick up might get quicker service. Helluva nice guy...Ya sit at his living room table to discuss the work.