PDA

View Full Version : My take on the Dillion 650....

sdmc530
02-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Sorry for the small pics used my phone. .. Anyways I was on the press for about 6 hours today. I have everything prepped and just had to do the actual work. I had the Dillion already set up so the powder was dispensing and the seating was already to go. It took me about an hour I suppose to get it all just right initially.

I just had to fill primer tubes and add powder. I have 5 primer tubes and that is the only thing I hate doing. The case feeder worked really well. Only had 3 come down upside down but I caught them before I tired to feed them so no issues there. I have 3 "loads" with primers upside down, that would be my error all together not the press. I loaded all that today, it was 2302 rounds. You can really make it go if you want too but about 400 rounds an hour is pretty comfortable, felt good. It helps I did the same load the whole time though. I did my range loads. I used every piece of brass I had clean. I even ran out of my MTM boxes. That was a first.

I was checking about every 20-25 at first but the powder was only varying by .1 plus or minus. So after a while I dropped back to about every 50 and never had an issue. It was very close every time. The OAL never varied more than .05 ether. That is good enough for practice ammo. I used a calipers for every 30-40 then after the first 500 I used my little gauge. Never had any significant changes at all.

The only thing I would change is the un-used primer chute, really bad will have to see if there is a fix for that.

I was told that slow and steady is good, that is the truth I found if you tried to push it two things, sometimes the case wouldn't drop from the feeder mech, and two when the casing would turn in the press it would spill some powder because of the fast motion. So I found a good pace and it was smooth from then.

I just ordered a primer tube hanger you attach to the case feed that will be nice instead of them just laying on bench.

I have some 10MM to load but I was really tired of reloading after the .45 so I just stopped. I have to do a caliber change to do that and didn't want to do it unless I was 100% focused at the task so I will wait for another colder day to do that.

All in all its a great press, very lucky and glad to have it. I did today what would have taken me all winter with my single stage. BUT I am super glad I started on a single stage for a few years. Lets you learn the basics and really understand reloading.

That is my take on the Dillion 650 with case feeder. Worth every penny!

Sheepdog
02-16-2015, 04:13 PM
You need a RF100 auto primer loader.:D

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23473/catid/9/Dillon_RF_100_Lg__Primer_Filler

douglas_knott
02-16-2015, 04:49 PM
what kind of powder do you use for your 10mm?

sdmc530
02-16-2015, 05:16 PM
You need a RF100 auto primer loader.:D

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23473/catid/9/Dillon_RF_100_Lg__Primer_Filler

Nice little deal but $320...holy moley. I think I am liking the other way. :)

sdmc530
02-16-2015, 05:18 PM
what kind of powder do you use for your 10mm?

well right now I am using Autocomp because its what I have. I have used 231 in the past too and works fine just not ideal. That is why I was not in a super hurry to load the 10MM, don't have a great powder. Autocomp is OK though, can get some good numbers on the chrony with it.

I did the conversion over from .45 to 10MM done was pretty easy, wasn't as bad as I thought as it would be. I have Wednesday off so maybe I will finish up the 10MM then....

ColMike
02-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Good report

skosh69
02-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the write up. Now I really want one!!! If it weren't for 2 family weddings, my sons 18th birthday and graduation, I'd order one. Maybe Christmas.

sdmc530
02-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the write up. Now I really want one!!! If it weren't for 2 family weddings, my sons 18th birthday and graduation, I'd order one. Maybe Christmas.

with all that going on you wife wouldn't even notice the extra 1K for the Dillion!

skosh69
02-16-2015, 08:49 PM
with all that going on you wife wouldn't even notice the extra 1K for the Dillion!

Hah, I wish. She's got eagle vision when it comes to our bank account. Notice I said "our bank account"? Not plural, singular.

I'll get it when the time is right. Family first, always has been, always will be.

Gatorade
02-16-2015, 08:55 PM
2k+ rounds! How long till it has paid for itself? All my single stage equipment paid for itself a long time ago. I love cranking out boxes of home cast bullets in reloaded brass. Pay for the powder and primer and you got boxes!

BadOscar
02-16-2015, 09:19 PM
I put my primers on the back side of a square piece of a carpet tile. I load all the shiny ones then take another square and place it on top. Flip the whole deal over then proceed to load all the rest that are now shiny side up.

sdmc530
02-17-2015, 12:03 AM
Hah, I wish. She's got eagle vision when it comes to our bank account. Notice I said "our bank account"? Not plural, singular.

I'll get it when the time is right. Family first, always has been, always will be.

Same here. I think most of use here have that great value though

2k+ rounds! How long till it has paid for itself? All my single stage equipment paid for itself a long time ago. I love cranking out boxes of home cast bullets in reloaded brass. Pay for the powder and primer and you got boxes!

Well i can load 100 rounds for about $20 and going rate for wwb of 100 is $45 so at 25 saved per 100 so far saved $500 ish if math is correct but when you reload you dont save cuz you shoot way more. Its a good thing though

I put my primers on the back side of a square piece of a carpet tile. I load all the shiny ones then take another square and place it on top. Flip the whole deal over then proceed to load all the rest that are now shiny side up.

I got one of them tbere fancy flip trays. Works good.

sdmc530
02-17-2015, 12:15 AM
FYI just did the math and you save about 227$ per thousand. So i would have to load up 5200 rounds to break even. Well i am already ahead being my dad bought the actual press i am already about even for my out of pocket. This only if you dont buy rounds in bulk then the number would be about 60% of that number.

Sheepdog
02-17-2015, 10:49 AM

About six to eight hours.