PDA

View Full Version : How many people practice one handed off hand shooting skills?

brownie
02-18-2015, 12:48 PM
How many members can hit reliably with their weak side shooting hand? How many practice one handed off hand shooting skills? How many members KNOW they can hit off handed one handed when and if it's necessary [ as in your strong hand/arm has been disabled ]?

If you can't hit like this with your off hand, might want to consider spending some time working on your off hand one handed shooting skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eN236EaJDQ

Xbonz
02-18-2015, 12:51 PM
I practice each time out to the range, but not enough lead down range to be ultra confident.:o

Caleb
02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
I will admit that I do not practice enough off hand.

PS: Brownie, when shooting two pistols..... Where are you looking? Obviously, you can't see both targets at the same time...... or can you?

sdmc530
02-18-2015, 03:13 PM
I do practice off hand shooting, a lot. When I go to the range I probably spend 60% strong hand and 40% weak hand. Its an important skill. Not super great at off hand but can hit a body if need be without any troubles. Its a good skill to have!

pony up
02-18-2015, 04:57 PM
I do not own a Glock, do not like a striker ignition system although the SA XDs was easier to adjust to than I expected, but I am sure that no matter how much I practice that in a real gunfight that the stress would raise hell with my ability to take up and then squeeze that striker fired gun. Thank you for your tips and the video. After watching the slide release and carry a round into the chamber when slamming in a fresh magazine will cause me to draw another line through the I wanna Glock on my Christmas list. My poly gun want begins and ends with the new Wilson Combat Spec-Ops 9 I finally picked up last Friday upon our return to our Florida winter location from the Seattle area. I put 3 boxes of 9MM through it yesterday. Amazing how fast that happened. I am no expert but I will write it up this evening for anyone interested. dennis

TLE2
02-18-2015, 05:09 PM
I have practiced it, but I am extremely right eye dominate, so I have to shoot left hand, right eye. It's a bit weird, but I'm a little more accurate, but a lot slower that way.

milkmanjoe
02-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Brownie needs to explain this, I'll screw up an explanation.....but I get it the skill. Ya need to attend his class......said the broken record over and over

pitor
02-18-2015, 07:07 PM
I shoot one handed pretty much exclusively when training for sd, but only about 10% weak hand, just to keep the skill fresh. I can hit what i aim at within 7yds no problem, good enough for me. I only shoot two handed when competing and when instructing others on technique.

NAMVET72
02-18-2015, 07:53 PM
brownie I do every chance I get to shoot my handguns,

Clyde

skosh69
02-18-2015, 08:19 PM
brownie I do every chance I get to shoot my handguns,

Clyde

What he said^^^

That and a friend taught me to use my middle finger as my trigger finger too. When I first asked him why, he responded with "what would you do if you lost your trigger finger and had to adapt but weren't ready?". Since that day, I've practiced both weak hand and middle fingered shooting.

Semper Paratus
02-18-2015, 08:54 PM
I run a couple of mags weak handed at 7 yds every time I shoot, which has been kind of rare since Christmas. I even do it with my 640. The BHP, 1911s I do fairly well with. Generally most of the rounds touching. With the Glock 17, Shield and Revos I'm alot more spastic. But then there are those who will tell you I'm spastic all of the time anyway. ;)

DrHenley
02-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Fairly good strong handed. I used to practice a lot with my weak hand, but never was that good. Some pistols seem to be a lot easier to shoot weak handed. Lately I have been forgetting to practice weak handed, maybe I'll take a smart pill next time so I will remember. :)

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=888

brownie
02-19-2015, 12:11 AM
I will admit that I do not practice enough off hand.

PS: Brownie, when shooting two pistols..... Where are you looking? Obviously, you can't see both targets at the same time...... or can you?

Very good question sir,

The "Enhanced Peripheral Vision © that's was developed to what you saw started with a dozen years [ 81 to 92 ] of peripheral vision shooting using Quick Kill Pistol. QK pistol uses a narrow band of peripheral vision. I owned that skill when this happened.

Talking smack one day, I made the comment that I could shoot two guns at the same time and make hits like the movies. Challenged and agreed I had some time to see if I could get to it, he thought not.

A week of shooting looking first at one, then the other, then trying to see both using as much direct vision [ as when you'd look for sights ] as I could muster. Nothing, not repeatable in any form until I decided to not look at either one and just started experimenting with enhancing the peripheral vision, extending it out past QK pistols narrow range.

The more I played with expanding peripheral vision, I started to walk around the house and just in peripheral point at objects on the wall, then check it with direct vision, first one side then the other, testing for the best solution and how far the peripheral could be used/expanded.

Come to find out, there's two things that need to happen for this to work reliably. One is to learn how to use peripheral vision to shoot without looking at the gun and then how to expand that peripheral out as far as possible to the 180 degree arc.

The second part that makes it work and if not done results in misses is using that peripheral vision to "punch" the chest of the threats with your fists [ superimposing them low abdomen ]. Now, once you can punch them reliably in the chest without looking at either, add the guns in hands, punch and fire.

It's brain dead simple and there's people here who have been shown how and actually performed two guns like the vid in the course of fire. It's a skill I impart if we have the time.

People think/call it's zen shooting after they perform it the very first time they experience under my direction. In reality, it's something we're all capable of and just don't learn to use peripheral vision as much as we could. It opens new worlds to the student, and I'm fond of telling them that now I've got them shooting without looking at the guns or the threats, the rest of the weekend they are going to be allowed to cheat by being allowed to look at the threats/targets :eek:

Joe, did I get that right? :D

brownie
02-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Appreciate everyone's replies, off hand proficiency is something to master one day. It could save your life if your gun hand is injured

Snipersnest
02-19-2015, 07:26 AM
When I as on the job, I taught weak hand shooting/reloading, etc., simply because in a combat situation if your strong hand is disabled, you need to be able to keep in the fight and survive. Since I've been off the job I haven't done much with it except for the annual LEOSA qualification. Thanks for the heads up, gotta remember to keep doing this when I hit the range.

BlackKnight
02-19-2015, 08:03 AM
When I as on the job, I taught weak hand shooting/reloading, etc., simply because in a combat situation if your strong hand is disabled, you need to be able to keep in the fight and survive. Since I've been off the job I haven't done much with it except for the annual LEOSA qualification. Thanks for the heads up, gotta remember to keep doing this when I hit the range.
Yeah, still do. It's also part of the syllabus when we teach pistol courses at the range I work at.

milkmanjoe
02-19-2015, 08:25 AM
Very good question sir,

The "Enhanced Peripheral Vision © that's was developed to what you saw started with a dozen years [ 81 to 92 ] of peripheral vision shooting using Quick Kill Pistol. QK pistol uses a narrow band of peripheral vision. I owned that skill when this happened.

Talking smack one day, I made the comment that I could shoot two guns at the same time and make hits like the movies. Challenged and agreed I had some time to see if I could get to it, he thought not.

A week of shooting looking first at one, then the other, then trying to see both using as much direct vision [ as when you'd look for sights ] as I could muster. Nothing, not repeatable in any form until I decided to not look at either one and just started experimenting with enhancing the peripheral vision, extending it out past QK pistols narrow range.

The more I played with expanding peripheral vision, I started to walk around the house and just in peripheral point at objects on the wall, then check it with direct vision, first one side then the other, testing for the best solution and how far the peripheral could be used/expanded.

Come to find out, there's two things that need to happen for this to work reliably. One is to learn how to use peripheral vision to shoot without looking at the gun and then how to expand that peripheral out as far as possible to the 180 degree arc.

The second part that makes it work and if not done results in misses is using that peripheral vision to "punch" the chest of the threats with your fists [ superimposing them low abdomen ]. Now, once you can punch them reliably in the chest without looking at either, add the guns in hands, punch and fire.

It's brain dead simple and there's people here who have been shown how and actually performed two guns like the vid in the course of fire. It's a skill I impart if we have the time.

People think/call it's zen shooting after they perform it the very first time they experience under my direction. In reality, it's something we're all capable of and just don't learn to use peripheral vision as much as we could. It opens new worlds to the student, and I'm fond of telling them that now I've got them shooting without looking at the guns or the threats, the rest of the weekend they are going to be allowed to cheat by being allowed to look at the threats/targets :eek:

Joe, did I get that right? :D

Hehehehe.....you can even get it across in writing. I am confident I could get it across on the range, but I would need to steal the above from you if asked online. So stick around. :D And stick around on the range too, while I love practicing this skill I have no intent of teaching it.

brownie
02-19-2015, 08:56 AM
The point is it works, pretty much everyone is capable of same once the learning curve is shortened as I present it, and myself and students are living proof it's something that's attainable by anyone with the interest ;) :cool:

milkmanjoe
02-19-2015, 10:33 AM
The point is it works, pretty much everyone is capable of same once the learning curve is shortened as I present it, and myself and students are living proof it's something that's attainable by anyone with the interest ;) :cool:

When we are up in SC in March I will do a video with two of the steel silhouettes. I am at near 110 degrees now, dual G17's, looking straight ahead and hitting steel at twenty five feet.

It's FUN!

brownie
02-19-2015, 01:28 PM
When we are up in SC in March I will do a video with two of the steel silhouettes. I am at near 110 degrees now, dual G17's, looking straight ahead and hitting steel at twenty five feet.

It's FUN!

:) ;)

Rick McC.
02-19-2015, 05:58 PM
I do.