PDA

View Full Version : Zeroing with Wind

Caleb
02-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Question for you rifle experts. This Saturday I will (hopefully ) be taking a rifle out to the range to Zero (@100yds). The forecast reads 12 to 18mph winds from the east for Saturday. My question is..... Is it possible to zero a rifle with wind present? Is there a formula for windage that I can use to zero for no wind conditions? Am I making sense? The ammo will be 7.62x51 nato.

Or should I just wait till there is no wind and zero then?

BlackKnight
02-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Well first off depends where the wind is coming from. In front or rear not so much. Is it a full value wind going across your target? What kind of reticle do you have and you know how to make to make calculations with it?
I personally would wait for a clear flat day to zero. From there it would be easier to figure out the wind to hit your target. I think you'd be fighting yourself any other way.
To be able to read, calculate, and shoot in wind is a science all in itself.
Here's a formula guide from my data book. Sorry for the bad pic. I don't know why it placed it upside down. But as you can see it's only good after you're already zero'd.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/aburena/IMG_0300_zps990fdc31.jpg

Riverpigusmc
02-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Well first off depends where the wind is coming from. In front or rear not so much. Is it a full value wind going across your target? What kind of reticle do you have and is it going to allow you to make this calculations?
I personally would wait for a clear flat day to zero. From there it would be easier to figure out the wind to hit your target. I think you'd be fighting yourself any other way.
To be able to read, calculate, and shoot in wind is a science all in itself.

^this. Quarter value, half and full value (90 degrees to the objective) all require different ballistic calculations. There are formulas online if you dig for them, but the big trick is READING the wind direction and velocity. I used trickled sand to gauge it, but I'd done it once or twice :D
The calculations also change as range increases and decreases. Wait for a calm day to zero your scope. Go stick your roach in Lisa's skivvie drawer :p

Caleb
02-19-2015, 08:45 PM
Yeah, doesn't make sense on a windy day. Just wanted to make the best of it i guess. I'll take a different rifle.

At least I'll get a chance to do some Kentucky windage and moa adjustments practice.

bttbbob
04-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Formula is

Wind Speed x distance in 100's of yards = MOA
constant

O-500 yards constant is 15
600 14
700 13
800 13
900 12
1000 11

Caleb