PDA

View Full Version : A word of advice

Dave Waits
01-06-2012, 05:28 PM
I was on the 1911Forum this morning and read a thread about a guy building his first 1911. looked at his thread count and join date then searched for prior posts. Anyway, he got his first 1911 four months ago and had zero previous experience with the gun. Well, he chronicled his journey with a running thread and pictures.The mistakes and lack of finishing are many. He even took the unfinished gun out and shot it right after installing the barrel and didn't bother to even check headspace.

What I'm getting at here is that it takes an extreme familiarity with both the 1911 and Gunsmithing procedures in general to take on a project of this magnitude. I guess what I'm saying here is that people should be well aware of their capabilities, knowledge and what exactly they want to do before attempting it. As an example, there is a gentleman on another forum who tried this. He started his build two years ago, isn't finished yet, screwed up both a Frame and a Slide and numerous other parts. So far he has an estimated $2400.00 in this project and is about 60% complete.

This is not something you just wade into gentlemen.

NAMVET72
01-06-2012, 05:30 PM
That is why I Don't Play Kitchen Table BubbaPistol Smith..............

Clyde

Riverpigusmc
01-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I carry
I shoot
I clean

That's it unless something busts. Then I get someone to fix it. Except grips and springs :D

MajO
01-06-2012, 06:40 PM
+ 1 Amen.

AutoMag
01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Very well put Dave!!

On a project like a pistol build you need to have patience, you cannot just rush the parts together.

Take your time, ask questions if you are not sure of something and once again take your time!!!!!:)

sdmc530
01-06-2012, 09:53 PM
You wern't talking about me dave were you? :wf: I built a gun...too soon before I probably should have and I had some same issues, HOWEVER when i thought I was finished I took it to my gunsmith and had him go through it..turned out really nice....I did buy some parts twice though. For the record I will not build another gun either......

Sheepdog
01-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Great point Dave.

eugunieum
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
I agree totally! I know how to use a mill and a lathe, can weld, and have a toolbox full of gunsmithing tools. I know my limitations and will not try to exceed them. I can put new sights on a 1911, but no way I am going to try and cut the dovetail. http://www.cotep.org/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks,
Mark

GoldenVolt
01-14-2012, 09:55 AM
But I bought the Colt .45 Automatic shop manual.........
Doesn't that make me a pistol smith?

There are Gun Smithing classes you can take and build your own 1911 for about the same money the guy on the 1911 Forum sunk into his project. After the week long class......... You have a finished working 1911 that you made yourself with proper instruction.

If I ever have the opportunity, I would love to be in a class like that.