PDA

View Full Version : Dillon vs. Hornady LnL

DaFadda
04-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Ok ok... no flames here... I found this thread on "The firing line" and was impressed by the analysis that the second poster (Waldog) posted.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460533

The second poster..... :
1. States that most people have loaded on either an LnL OR a Dillon, but not on both.... and...
2. He talks intelligently about what he perceives to be the strengths and weaknesses of both.

So... my question is to my brothers here who use the Dillon... read the post and tell me if this analysis is true for the Dillon in your honest opinion. and if you are an LnL user... give me your thoughts about the analysis as well.

In advance, if you are a Dillon owner, you are obviously dedicated to your machine and its processes. I get that. Just as the Hornady owners are undoubtedly married to their machines too. I'm more interested in discovering if the perceived flaws and positives are accurate. I.E. "The LnL rotary powder dispenser is vastly superior to Dillons powder dispenser." and..... The reloading process starts at the front and bullets are seated in the rear on Dillon and is opposite on the LnL.....Really???? I don't know.... AND.... does it matter??? so... "What say You?"

Thanks in advance.
Michael

sdmc530
04-28-2015, 06:40 PM
First that is a great read. Well written. I have NO experience with the LNL press except for playing with it in the store when I was deciding on what press I was going to buy. But
I do have a few comments from the article about the Dillon. I am not dismissing this guys write up I think he is a bit off on a few things but still a great write up.

The red writing is from the article, my rebuttal is after.

IMHO the Dillon has one major shortcoming and, most Dillon owners will agree if they are honest. The Dillon powder measure is sorely lacking in ease of use and adjustability. It is sliding bar type measure. It meters ball type powder well but, flake type powder less so.

I have never had a issue with the powder measure. I will say getting is set just perfect can be frustrating at times but once it is set it is spot on. Not changing more than +/- .02. I think that is pretty darn good. I have no complaints about the powder measure. Its a decent measure, however if I could go back to my RCBS one on my Dillon I would just because its so easy to dial in.

it is a pain to swap out the Dillon powder measure to another die plate. As a result, many owners have several powder measures on separate die plates for changing calibers. This significantly drives UP the COST.

YES, if you are loading a regular pistol load like the .45, .40, 9mm and so on you are ok on this, HOWEVER if you load these plus .357, 44mag the bigger stuff you will more than likely have to but another measure. I don't need more than one because I don't have to change the bar.

Also, IMHO, the Dillon de-priming/priming system is less reliable than the LNL.

Don't know the LNL system but I think this a false statement. Less reliable, I don't feel this is true. I have had an issue a few times with primer being seated upside down but felt this was a user error not a press error. Junk in junk out.
But the primer system is messy, to elaborate, the spent primer system works fine for me, but if you don't use a good primer it has a "chute" and I think that little system plain old sucks!!! I would get rid of that in a heartbeat if I could.
If you don't clean each part of the primer system you will have issues I bet its a dirty process.

In addition, the LNL auto indexing is significantly smoother than the Dillon 650. The LNL indexes 1/2 step while the ram is going up and 1/2 step when the ram goes down. The 650 indexes a full step on the ram down stroke and can cause pistol cases to spill SMALL AMOUNTS or powder with the indexing "bump". IMHO, the LNL is dramatically better. Of course, the amount of powder "bumped" from a case is dependent on the powder charge, operator and, speed of reloading. As I stated above, you get primer problems with a dirty press. "Bumped" powder fouls BOTH Dillon and LNL

Yes I had this issue, the smoothness they are talking about, the spring under the Dillon plate is way to stiff and creates the "bump" and can spill some powder when really going at it. I found a "softer" spring and fixed this issue to my satisfaction. The index on the presses I think is user preference and not an issue. Just different designs.

It makes changing calibers and SNAP

again can't speak for the LNL but the Dillon change is super fast and easy. I don't think it takes me more than 5 minutes anymore. Unless you have to switch to small primer this is quick. I bet the LNL is pretty fast too.

Additionally, the LNL seems to be built like a tank! The ram is about 2"+ in diameter and the basic press is similar in construction to the RCBS Rock Chucker. I would say that a side-by-side comparison to the either the Dillon 550 OR 650, the LNL is at least as sturdily built

Not sure how sturdy the LNL is but the Dillon is built like a tank as well. the main shaft is I think 1 3/4 inches, a good ram. The lnl when looking looked just as well built. Don't think either is built poorly!

With the Dillon, “right-left-right-left” hand operating procedure, clockwise rotation and, the fact that you start your loading process at the front, right side of the press, your bullet seating die is at the rear, left side of the press. Why is this important? The Dillon powder measure drops powder into the case and the case is rotated clockwise to the REAR of the press to the bullet seating die. It is very difficult to see inside of the case to see the gunpowder. Many Dillon owners rig up flashlight, mirror or, believe it or not, a video camera to “look” into the case to see the powder charge.

Not sure what this is getting too but case drops at 2, primer/powder at 4ish, check at 530, add bullet and press in to case at about 8-9 and crimp at 11. I don't have any issues with seeing the powder in the case. I did put a light in the top of the press to make it easier to see. But with a case feeder the only action I have to do is put the bullet on the case and run the handle...pretty seamless I think.

Dillon Customer service is legendary.

YES, I broke a roll pin installing my press out of the box. I called them to buy a pin, they said we will send it out. I wanted to pay for it or the shipping or something being it was my mistake. They would have nothing to do with it. Sent if for nothing. I have called on two occasions and they were fantastic on the CS side. I have been thought the Hornady factory in NE and they are also SUPER people so I have no doubt there service is top notch as well.

You can load anything on both the Dillon and LNL from .25 ACP to 500 N.E. Realistically, I would say that people with progressive loaders mostly load pistol ammo 99% of the time. After using the LNL, I feel confident that my Grandkids will be using when I'm gone.

Well stated for both presses I would bet!

In summary, the Hornady LNL has all the features of the Dillon 650 but, is much cheaper. However, the Dillon automatic case feeder is about $50 cheaper than the Hornady.

I am not sure about price of the LNL but no doubt blue is spendy, but worth it.

The deal here is whatever you choose you will be fine and happy no doubt. Both I am sure are great presses. I would however not give up my Dillon for anything, well anything less of two LNL :D

Hope this helps tried to keep it factual.

DaFadda
04-28-2015, 10:52 PM
@ Phil... THANK YOU... exactly what I expect to hear.... honest evaluation of what you use and why... very much appreciated!!!!

Michael

sdmc530
04-28-2015, 11:08 PM
@ Phil... THANK YOU... exactly what I expect to hear.... honest evaluation of what you use and why... very much appreciated!!!!

Michael

One of my favorite actors said. Just the facts please. Friday, Joe Friday. Good stuff Michael glad you enjoyed my views. I should of pointed out also if my dad hadnt ponyed up 80% of the money and i was able to sell my single set up i would not been able to afford blue myself. I probably would have gone red just because of initial set up costs. But always wanted blue and was lucky to get it.

Horse'nround
05-03-2015, 01:39 PM
A very well written article. I really will only take issue a couple of his points. 1st – the ease of changing calibers with a Dillon, the system was designed with this mind. 2pins, a rod clip, a 5/16” allen bolt and if necessary a primer tube and feed shoe. 3 to 5 minutes tops and yes every setup has a powder measure all setup. That’s what makes it so nice. And yes after 25,000 plus rounds through it there have been some maintenance issues. I have worn a few things out and broke a couple more. So far Dillon has replaced them all for free. I personally do not like an auto-advance system, I like to do it myself it keeps me focused on what I’m doing. And here’s the kicker… I bought my Dillon used from a guy who loaded match rounds for a living, I have no idea how many rounds he’s put through it. Dillon doesn’t care either. When I called them with a problem they told me it’s a lifetime warranty, on the press not the owner. I wonder if Hornady has the same point of view.

Just my 2 cents...

Chris

DaFadda
05-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the input Chris... I'm still on the fence as to Red or Blue... OR... whether I even want to move from my tried and true Lee Classic Turret. Phil swears that its faster... and I'm sure it is... but I don't see a thousand dollars worth of difference ($300 vs $1300 outlay) FOR ME... not anyone else.. just for me.

Now... finding a used Dillon... knowing that the warrantee is lifetime... I'd keep the Lee Classic and use it for rifle... dedicate the Blue for pistol rounds. But again..... still sitting on the fence...

Thanks
Michael

Jdl2
05-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Michael,

Forgive me for jumping in but you're just the guy I need to talk to. I have never reloaded and want to start as a desperately needed hobby. I have serious focussing issues so I've been convinced that SIMPLE is what I need and a single stage is best for my limitations. I am the least mechanical, least handy guy you'll ever meet... I seriously doubt I'll ever nee or desire to use a progressive setup.

Lee Precision tells me their Classic 4 hole Turret Kit is right for me as it can be used as single stage. With your Turret experience would you recommend it for me? They also have a Classic Breech Lock single stage and then there's the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme for considerably more $$$.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jim

Jdl2
05-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Michael,
You've already answered my question in a thread I started a few weeks back and was just now reviewing again. Got lots of great info in that thread.

Sorry if I crapped on your post.
Jim

Horse'nround
05-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the input Chris... I'm still on the fence as to Red or Blue... OR... whether I even want to move from my tried and true Lee Classic Turret. Phil swears that its faster... and I'm sure it is... but I don't see a thousand dollars worth of difference ($300 vs $1300 outlay) FOR ME... not anyone else.. just for me.

Now... finding a used Dillon... knowing that the warrantee is lifetime... I'd keep the Lee Classic and use it for rifle... dedicate the Blue for pistol rounds. But again..... still sitting on the fence...

Thanks
Michael

Michael,

So here's some food for thought, as I said before I don't like an auto staging progressive, whether it be cam or lever the mechanical actuation will cause powder flip. If I'm the one doing the advancing then I'm the one in control of the movement which is why I like the RL550B. Now you can step into this model for around $400.00 and all you need is your dies and supplies.
http://www.scheels.com/shop/en/scheels-catalog/hunting-/hunting-/dillion-precision-rl550b-reloading-press-4235-14261-y3

I have found quick changes kits on sale for as low as $89.99. the really nice thing is they will come with the powder charger on it. You can be into a starter for under $400 and 3 caliber Dillon setup for around $750, well under that $1300 mark.

Chris

sdmc530
05-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Chris, you can "fix" the powder issue with a different spring. I am not a fan of the person doing the indexing because with all that is going on it might be easier to double charge or make other type mistakes. Not saying its not a good set up just like it for the speed. I did consider the 550 but I wanted to reloaded that would be as efficient as possible.

don't mean to start any reloading wars...just wanted to jump in :)

Horse'nround
05-04-2015, 09:42 PM
No wars big guy,
To each his own. For me, doing the indexing insures I check powder levels each time I index (I use the just powdered round to index) and I leave the powdering stop pin out of the press plate for easy brass removal. I usually scale every 10 to 20 rounds-yes I'm anally paranoid... A hot scares the hell out of me and squibber would just flat piss me off. thank GOD I have experienced neither.

sdmc530
05-04-2015, 10:25 PM
No wars big guy,
To each his own. For me, doing the indexing insures I check powder levels each time I index (I use the just powdered round to index) and I leave the powdering stop pin out of the press plate for easy brass removal. I usually scale every 10 to 20 rounds-yes I'm anally paranoid... A hot scares the hell out of me and squibber would just flat piss me off. thank GOD I have experienced neither.

Oh I hear ya....I don't ever want a "hot" load ever! I can only imagine the carnage. I check every 20 for the first 100-150 rounds and then I go to evey 50 rounds are so. I don't have much change so I am never more than .01 or .02 so I feel pretty good about it.

I have not purchased the powder check die yet... I would have but the reviews are not very good and they guys who have them say the are more trouble that they are worth.

Sheepdog
05-04-2015, 10:25 PM
I am a Dillon fan. I have never reloaded with a LNL. I use a Dillon 1050 and 650. I have had absolutely zero problems with my powder measure or de-priming. My powder measures stay dead on. I can't say anything about the LNL because I haven't used one. As far as the auto indexing, i like it. It is almost impossible to screw it up unless you work at it. Crank one, drop one and repeat. I wish everything I own worked as reliably as my Dillon.

Dwe
08-15-2015, 10:32 PM
I can't speak to Red at all, except to say folks like em.

Can't speak to an auto indexing press at all.

I have had the same Dillon RL550b for almost 25 years and I've run 45-50k rounds thru it and had one no powder squib load. My fault.

I'm gonna be getting a second one so I can keep one set up for each large and small primers.

I load .223, .308, .44 mag. 45acp, 9mm, 10mm, 38super, 40sw, 400 Cor-Bon,
38/357mag.

I can't afford to change to red and wouldn't want to anyway.:)

coatessey
12-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Definitely a good read DaFadda, thank you. Curious as to which way you went red or blue? I am leaning blue after researching for some time however it is certainly cheaper to start with red.

sdmc530
12-07-2016, 09:08 AM
Good to see this thread still getting use....
You know what they say," Once you go blue you never go back"

coatessey
12-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Lol. That very well may be the case. The cost difference right now is the only reason I am favoring red.

AFJuvat
12-07-2016, 12:28 PM
I use a Lee Classic Turret press and a Classic Cast Powder Measure.

Given that I bang out about 500 or so rounds per month across 11 different calibers, it keeps my equipment costs down: A new $12 turret.

IMO, the benefits of a progressive press outweigh the cost only if you are knocking out 1000+ rounds per month.

sdmc530
12-07-2016, 02:29 PM
I use a Lee Classic Turret press and a Classic Cast Powder Measure.

Given that I bang out about 500 or so rounds per month across 11 different calibers, it keeps my equipment costs down: A new $12 turret.

IMO, the benefits of a progressive press outweigh the cost only if you are knocking out 1000+ rounds per month.

Agree I shoot about 5K rounds a year of 45 and probably 1K of 10MM. I used to load that on a single stage and it took me all winter to re-stock but it was manageable in the cold dark winters when you couldn't do anything else.

I only load in the winter months.

Now with the 650 I can load all my years worth of shooting in a weekend if I really wanted to. I drag it over 2-3 weekends so I have something to tinker with and hide in my "cave"

It is a matter of cost vs. time spent. Any press will do the job and well with no issues but when I got my Dillon I accomplished the same goal just A LOT faster. I was lucky my parents gifted me the money to pay for 80% of press. If not for there generosity I would still have my single stage set up and still be doing just fine too.