PDA

View Full Version : 40 years ago today

sdmc530
04-29-2015, 11:10 AM
The fall of Saigon was 40 years ago.

Nice little story on CNN.com about it. Some of you remember it, bad day for Viet Nam.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/vietnam-saigon-evacuation-anniversary/index.html

'Another horrendous screwup'

In Washington, Secretary of State Henry Kissinger announced it was over. The last U.S. chopper had left the U.S. Embassy.

But that wasn't quite accurate. In fact, 11 U.S. Marines had been left on the embassy roof.

Kissinger, in the 2014 documentary, "Last Days in Vietnam," called it "another horrendous screwup."

Also still on the compound were 420 non-U.S. citizens who, according to the film, were promised airlifts out but instead were left behind.

"We were told that Martin had left on the last helicopter and that the evacuation had ended," Kissinger said.

The Marines barricaded themselves on the roof and prepared to defend themselves against a possible attack.

The last men out

After sunrise, the USS Hancock sent out a final chopper to rescue the stranded Marines. The mission went to Woods and fellow crewmen of a Sea Knight with the call sign Swift 22.

Approaching the embassy, Woods looked down from his position near the cockpit to see the compound was "overrun" by "hundreds or thousands" of South Vietnamese. "Like ants on a watermelon, they were just everywhere trying to get up to the rooftop so they could maybe catch a flight out of Saigon."

The chopper set down on the Embassy's rooftop helicopter pad and Woods opened the ramp and hatch.

There had been no attack. After surviving the night uninjured, all 11 Marines ran aboard.

BlackKnight
04-29-2015, 11:31 AM
I was 9 going on 10. I remember seeing it on the news. That, with the whole Vietnam war, made me really appreciate our service men and women.
Man, I'm getting old.

milkmanjoe
04-29-2015, 11:57 AM
I'm 57....remember it crystal clear...my father was a newshound, we were glued to the news every night at 6:30

Xbonz
04-29-2015, 11:59 AM
I turned 18 in Jan 73. Registered for the draft in Feb 73. Nixon ended it in March 73.. Looking back, I was very lucky...

NAMVET72
04-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Yes Phil I can remember that day like it was yesterday, also remember my Friends I lost ,

Clyde

sdmc530
04-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Yes Phil I can remember that day like it was yesterday, also remember my Friends I lost ,

Clyde

Sorry to hear that. I am blessed that my dad survived the ordeal and the 3 years he was over in country.

milkmanjoe
04-29-2015, 05:13 PM

Clyde

Some of my older sisters lost classmates in Vietnam....and some came home and committed suicide. Came from a mile square town, everybody knew as soon as someone died.

Snipersnest
04-30-2015, 07:54 AM
Saw the special this past Tuesday night on PBS. Those events occurred well after I was discharged (got out in 68). Spent two tours in 'Nam', saw a lotta sh!t happening. Even with my PTSD, and as bad as things got, I never considered suicide. I've got a good ole lady who understands me and helps me overcome my issues. God, I love growing old with that Gal!