PDA

View Full Version : Help a guy out!

sdmc530
05-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Barbie just got me that really sweet sharpmaker and I was thinking about the knives I do own and carry. Now with that said I do need a new hunting knife. A fixed blade knife for animal dressing and general purpose. I will be honest the knife I am currently using for this purpose is a knife I got in high school hunting deer. I am sure I get it at wallyworld, it had a Remington stamp on it years ago and is beat to heck so thought I would upgrade.

I have no idea what budget I would need for a decent "reasonable priced" knife.

I have a rotation of carry knives, Clyde's switch, and a SOG. My work knife is a SOG Flash II that I just love...great knife but I need a new fixed.....

any thoughts......

Riverpigusmc
05-21-2015, 07:44 PM
ESEE 3 or 4

I paid 107 for mine, but I got the OD coated blade and orange handles. Built like a TANK, I mean solid. Sharp as a razor out of the box, and running it over the Sharpmaker made it scary sharp. The folks who build it partner with Randall. And it's carbon steel, so it takes an edge quick...but use a silicone cloth every once in awhile or the edge and engraving will rust.
Mine's an ESEE 4, the Colonel got the 3 and had Panther make a sheath for his

sdmc530
05-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks pig, I have an EESE neck knife that I have stowed in my truck, forgot about it. Its called a fire ant or something......

that is a good company I forgot about....that is one for the list!

Caleb
05-21-2015, 09:46 PM
What pig said, I want one of those. Just recieved a Kershaw Antelope Hunter with an orange handle. It's built well, light as a feather, and sharp out of the box. It's a nice hunting blade but, I have no experience with it.

pitor
05-22-2015, 12:16 AM
Buck 110, look no more. The most classic of all classic knives, excellent for field dressing as well as any other woodsman chores

douglas_knott
05-22-2015, 02:27 AM
Buck 110, look no more. The most classic of all classic knives, excellent for field dressing as well as any other woodsman chores

Great knives. My father has one and he's had it for years. I have had mine for about 10yrs

sdmc530
05-22-2015, 08:49 AM
thanks,

So far on my list to check out is:

EESE 3 or 4
Buck 110
Kershaw Antelope Hunter

this is a epic decision.....

LittleGator
05-22-2015, 10:31 AM
Half the fun is sorting through all the great choices.

I vote for the Buck 110. Great folding knife. Or, if you decide on a fixed blade go with the 120. My father bought me a 120 "look alike" when I was a kid in the Boy Scouts (long before they banned water balloons). I loved the look of that cheap knife. I found it under a pile of junk in my garage about two years ago, all rusted out. Kept it.

Have fun!!

Caleb
05-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Here's a cool video I just found, it's about seven minutes long.

Watch "Knifemaking: Hunting Knives" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/IkG3r8HPV44

NAMVET72
05-22-2015, 04:33 PM
thanks,

So far on my list to check out is:

EESE 3 or 4
Buck 110
Kershaw Antelope Hunter

this is a epic decision.....

Phil you have a lot of extra money get one of each and then do a write up on each one,

Clyde

AutoMag
05-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Phil, for a fixed blade check out a Buck 119 and for a folder the Buck 110. I have them and they are fantastic.:)

sdmc530
05-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Phil, for a fixed blade check out a Buck 119 and for a folder the Buck 110. I have them and they are fantastic.:)

thanks!!