PDA

View Full Version : Optics suggestions needed.

Caleb
05-28-2015, 08:30 AM
Question. ...... Say you wanted to run a fixed power scope on your rifle for 100-600yds (maybe sometime in the future out to 1k). Which magnification would you choose? 6x, 10x, 12x, or bigger.......and, why?

Purpose:
*Rem 700
*Target shooting/plinking
*Marksmanship training

BlackKnight
05-28-2015, 08:37 AM
I go with the 10, but my training and mission dictated it.
That's what I learned to shoot with. I also was taught to range with my scope which was conducted at 10 unless the reticle was front focal (doesn't change with power setting).
Check your pm.

Caleb
05-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Thanks, pm replied.

Caleb
05-28-2015, 09:30 AM
The 10X is what I'm leaning towards. Target turrets are a must. Mil or Moa adjustments will work for me.

I'm currently running a 3-9x42 on there now and when zoomed to 9x the shadow around the eyepiece (sorry, don't know the tech term for that) is distracting. I find myself concentrating on keeping the shadow even instead of focusing on my target and fundamentals. I thinl the fixed power will help me with this issue....?.....

BlackKnight
05-28-2015, 09:41 AM
The 10X is what I'm leaning towards. Target turrets are a must. Mil or Moa adjustments will work for me.

I'm currently running a 3-9x42 on there now and when zoomed to 9x the shadow around the eyepiece (sorry, don't know the tech term for that) is distracting. I find myself concentrating on keeping the shadow even instead of focusing on my target and fundamentals. I thinl the fixed power will help me with this issue....?.....
Me thinks when you set up your eye relief it wasn't on the highest power. That means your scope may be too close in relation to your eye.

Caleb
05-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Me thinks when you set up your eye relief it wasn't on the highest power. That means your scope may be too close in relation to your eye.

Good point..... I believe you are correct, I set it on 3x. Will have to look into that next range trip.

bttbbob
05-28-2015, 10:45 AM
I use a variable magnification scope on all long range precision rifles, but shoot mostly at 10 power. The higher power magnifications are almost worthless here in Florida due to mirage. I learned to shoot with a 2FP 10x fixed scope and still shoot them fine.
1st focal plane or second only matters if you are shooting unknown distance.....Most benchrest shooters use 2nd because they don't want the reticle increasing in size and covering the target. Most PRS or tactical shooters use FFP due to not having to move the magnification to rangefind.

I use Mueller scopes on my rentals for our long range precision rifle courses. Can't beat them for the price. They track great and are pretty clear.

http://muelleroptics.com/mt451440

BlackKnight
05-28-2015, 10:53 AM
I use a variable magnification scope on all long range precision rifles, but shoot mostly at 10 power. The higher power magnifications are almost worthless here in Florida due to mirage. I learned to shoot with a 2FP 10x fixed scope and still shoot them fine.
1st focal plane or second only matters if you are shooting unknown distance.....Most benchrest shooters use 2nd because they don't want the reticle increasing in size and covering the target. Most PRS or tactical shooters use FFP due to not having to move the magnification to rangefind.

I use Mueller scopes on my rentals for our long range precision rifle courses. Can't beat them for the price. They track great and are pretty clear.

http://muelleroptics.com/mt451440
Good stuff. Thanks.

bttbbob
05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Another issue it could be would be LOP (length of pull of your stock). To check this place the stock in the crock of your elbow, your hand should be comfortable on the grip without stretching or trying to reach back to get proper trigger finger placement.

Caleb
05-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks Bob, i was hoping to get your attention. :D

Thanks for the info and recommendation on that scope, it looks to be a great one. I believe the LOP is spot on but, I will double check when I get the chance.

What do you think of the SWFA 10X scopes?

bttbbob
05-28-2015, 12:33 PM
Ok but with the success I have had with Mueller makes me jaded..They have a lifetime warranty and do all that needs to be done for a new Long Range shooter.....Here is the major problem with fixed scopes. If you are trying to get a good identity on something out at range, being able to use the zoom is advantageous. I like having the option even if I never shoot it on higher magnification..........

On my personal rifles, not company, I spend a lot more for optics. But what would one expect of someone that has a school?

Another good fixed power 10x is the Burris. It is around 300.00 if I remember correctly.

If you are just entering long range shooting the Mueller scope is all the scope you will ever need.......

I dont have much experience with SWFA so I can't really recommend or not......

Caleb
05-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Thank you Sir, I value your opinion as well as Tony's. You guys have personal experience on both sides of the spectrum.

Yes, I'm a new LR shooter. I will seriously consider that Mueller you suggest. It does has everything I'm looking for. 30mm, exposed turrets, mil dot reticle, puts me in that 10X range, affordable, quality, and lifetime warranty. .....what's not to like except not much play with eye relief. But, if I have the proper LOP and cheek weld, I should be fine.

Caleb
05-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Ok Bob, I had a gift card to Amazon and found the Mueller on sale there. After all said and done , it only cost me $114. So, I bought it and will mount it to a 20moa 1 piece mount and super low rings. I should receive it in time for next weekend. Thanks. For your help.

Lonestar grips.
05-29-2015, 09:40 PM
I was going to suggest a Bushnell Elite 10x40mm but I see once again i'm too late to the rodeo.:outta:

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-Mil-Dot-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B004NKY6DU

just looked at some of the Mueller scopes on amazon and they look really nice, be sure and let us know how it works out Caleb

Caleb
05-29-2015, 10:33 PM
I was going to suggest a Bushnell Elite 10x40mm but I see once again i'm too late to the rodeo.:outta:

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-Mil-Dot-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B004NKY6DU

Nice suggestion Zane, thank you. I'll probably get a fixed power just for kicks down the road.

just looked at some of the Mueller scopes on amazon and they look really nice, be sure and let us know how it works out Caleb

Nice suggestion Zane, thank you. I'll probably get a fixed power just for kicks down the road.

I'll do a review once I get enough cheek time behind it.

AutoMag
05-30-2015, 09:58 AM
I am late to the game also but you could also check out www.sunopticsusa.com

My 2 are working out just great!!:)

bttbbob
05-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Good deal...You will like it.

brownie
05-30-2015, 11:00 AM
I use a 10x fixed Pride/Fowler BDC on the M1a.

MPDC
05-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Probably all good suggestions. Bob taught at Marine Corps Schools and runs his own now. Hard to go wrong taking his advice IMHO.:D

bttbbob
06-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the compliment MPDC, appreciate the kudos.

Caleb
06-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Hey Bob, I have a question. I received my Mueller yesterday. Something seems off tho. The elevation turret cap reads "Left and Right" instead of "Up and Down". Also, the adjustments only go to 7moa per revolution and the numbers are sideways but, I can get 70 moa adjustments full range. It seems to me that this cap might be for the windage of another scope. The Windage cap on this one has "L and R" with 14moa per revolution. Am I making any sense here?

My question is...... Are your Muellers the same as what I'm describing?

PS: According to the Mueller website and Optics Planet (where this scope came from) the turret cap is different. I can't speak to Mueller directly today as they are not open on Fridays.

Thanks for your input.

bttbbob
06-05-2015, 12:29 PM
I am not where I can look at mine right now. So I can't tell you what my turrents have. But I do know On my windage turrent there are two 7's..Never really bothered me so I don't mess with it. Not sure what the elevation says, but I think it is U and D arrows. Not sure. But listen, Mueller will take care of it, no questions asked. If it is not right. It may have had the turrent replaced but full turns should be 14 MOA. And I know my turrent numbers are straight so I can see them.......Rich who is the owner and service mgr is great to deal with, call him Monday and see what he says. Every review I heard of them, it was handled within days if there was a problem. I called him on a mounting issue and he was very responsive and it was handled immediately.

Oh and another thing, are you sure it doesn't have a R or U arrow instead of U and D on the elevation. And L or D on one of them? Sometimes I see those on turrents.

bttbbob
06-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Oh and I am surprised that Optics Planet didn't ahve a better answer for you...........Seems weird, they normally are very responsive.

Caleb
06-05-2015, 01:58 PM
I'll take a picture tonight and post it on here. The elevation turret has 1/4 minute hash marks with the moa markings (numbers) sideways (which would be correct for the windage. Also, on the top it's marked "L" and "R" with opposing arrows.

Optics Planet said I would have to return it through Amazon even tho they are the seller...?.... Apparently, the items they sell on there are their old stock and not in the regular inventory.

I will call Mueller Monday and see what they say. Or, I'll just return it to Amazon

bttbbob
06-05-2015, 02:14 PM
I bet Rich at Mueller will have you mail it to him direct.

GD2A
06-05-2015, 05:05 PM
I don't have a dog in this hunt and I'm unfamiliar with Mueller and, having only one scope, optics in general. That said, is it common to have to rely so heavily on the warranty when buying scopes? Good on them for standing behind their products but the sense I'm getting is a lot of folks need warranty work from them.

Caleb
06-05-2015, 09:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EaOvNEw.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/zKGbXyg.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/RoAVWvm.jpg?1

BlackKnight
06-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Me thinks they installed the wrong turret on top.

Riverpigusmc
06-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Me thinks they installed the wrong turret on top.

Tropical Minion speaks the truth. Or they know how ****ed up you are, and figgered it didn't matter

Caleb
06-06-2015, 12:27 AM
Tropical Minion speaks the truth. Or they know how ****ed up you are, and figgered it didn't matter

funny I know which way is up and down, can adjust by clicks. But, that will be a pain in the butt after 300yds. 300 = 20 clicks up.

The fact is, it's not correct for whatever price point the scope is. It will be going back Monday. First I'll speak with Mueller, maybe they can just send me the correct turret. I'll update this thread next week sometime.

bttbbob
06-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Please let me know what happens...........With Mueller....

Caleb
06-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Just spoke to Mueller, they are sending me the correct turret cap. He said the cap was etched with the wrong nomenclature.

RKP
06-08-2015, 11:20 AM
^^^^ Good deal ! :cool:

bttbbob
06-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Great, I knew they would do whatever to make it right...

Caleb
06-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Received the correct cap today, that was quick. Slapped it on and now the wait till my next range trip.

bttbbob
08-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Received the correct cap today, that was quick. Slapped it on and now the wait till my next range trip.

did this get straightened out and have you shot it?

Caleb
08-13-2015, 04:21 PM
did this get straightened out and have you shot it?

Yes, he sent me the correct cap and I zeroed it last month. Everything worked as expected except the power ring kept moving with every shot. I would set it at 10x and it would creep up after every shot. Not sure if there is a way of tightening it up a bit. I have not emailed Mueller about it yet.

Lonestar grips.
08-13-2015, 05:21 PM
should have got the bushnell.:D

bttbbob
08-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Yes, he sent me the correct cap and I zeroed it last month. Everything worked as expected except the power ring kept moving with every shot. I would set it at 10x and it would creep up after every shot. Not sure if there is a way of tightening it up a bit. I have not emailed Mueller about it yet.

contact themmmmmm

Caleb
08-13-2015, 06:26 PM
should have got the bushnell.:D I have a Vortex Viper HS-T now. :p

contact themmmmmm

I will, just procrastinating. Plus, a ton of OT at work has had me busy.

bttbbob
03-07-2016, 08:57 PM
that is a great scope Vortex makes good stuff

TLE2
03-07-2016, 09:22 PM
I think you're going to have trouble finding a high quality fixed scope. The M4 sniper rifle had a Leopold Mark 4.

Caleb
03-07-2016, 10:22 PM
I think you're going to have trouble finding a high quality fixed scope. The M4 sniper rifle had a Leopold Mark 4.

Found one........SWFA Super Sniper 10X.

Caleb
03-07-2016, 10:23 PM
that is a great scope Vortex makes good stuff

I agree, I have been happy with it so far. nanner

Sheepdog
03-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Range Report??????

Caleb
03-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Range Report??????

Have not finished testing the Vortex yet for a range report. Still have to do the tracking tests and the return to zero tests. But, I will do range report as soon as I get those done.

ColMike
08-12-2016, 04:27 PM
I have a weapon with a Piccatinny rail. I want to mount an accessory, but the accessory says weaver mount. From what ive read, a weaver mount works on the picattinny rail but not vice versa. Looking for a cotep confirmation.

Riverpigusmc
08-12-2016, 06:06 PM
I believe that info is correct. I have mounted weaver stuff on a Picactinney, but noticed they had adaptors to mount a piccatinny base on Weaver grooves.

ColMike
08-12-2016, 06:59 PM
I believe that info is correct. I have mounted weaver stuff on a Picactinney, but noticed they had adaptors to mount a piccatinny base on Weaver grooves.
Sorry to hijack your thread. I thought I started a new one.

Mea culpa
;D

Riverpigusmc
08-12-2016, 07:03 PM
heheheheeeee,,,,wasn't my thread, just the Roach's, and he'll get over it :p

Caleb
08-12-2016, 09:32 PM
I can care less, lol.

You are correct Sir. You can mount the weever to a pict rail. Just make sure to torque it down.