PDA

View Full Version : Quick Draw shooting

ColMike
05-31-2015, 08:48 AM
Yesterday down in Enterprise Alabama, Lock N Load guns shop and range hosted a customer appreciation day. We took a mobile "quick draw" range to provide some entertainment. Two targets on one timer, instant win/lose and elapsed time. Once the targets are "set" there is a 2-5 second delay before they go active. When the light comes on you draw and fire. Must hit the target which is about 10 feet from the line. There are several techniques for this shooting event but I use it as a first round training device for my cowboy action shooting. I started out a few weeks ago in the hi 1 second times 1.8, etc. I am down to routinely .6xx -.7xx now and my best score yesterday was .653 seconds in full draw. That's pretty quick for an old guy. While not part of an official match, we allowed semiautos with modern holsters to shoot. The fastest times were around .49x but they didn't to cock the weapon.

Here's the setup with me running the range and two young guys using the lean back and shoot from the hip technique. It looks odd but works for this sport. I don't use it. Counter productive for what I'm trying to do.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt204/davismh76/11063763_359335990933510_654728834870899784_o_zpst q8n0l67.jpg

It was a good day and lots of fun but provided some real eye openers. A store employee toting a PM9 tried 5 times and never hit the target! And she's got a better chance of shooting herself or a bystander than a perp. One guy trying to go way fast missed shooting himself in the thigh by about 6 inches. Some of these people carrying weapons are really dangerous.

OH, forgot to tell you. We use wax bullets, and the propellant is a 209 primer in the 45LC cartridge. some cases are not drilled to accept a large primer and use the normal primer as a propellant. There were some other pics taken and IF I can get ahold of them, I'll post them as an update.

D

jmlutz
05-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Good deal, looks like y'all had a great time.

RKP
05-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Looks/sounds like an enjoyable day for sure !! :cool:

milkmanjoe
05-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Looks like good fun..... I have to agree, some people are more dangerous to the general population than a perp. I've seen some wild shooting from a draw too. Of all the timed and non timed close quarters pistol shooting I have done, BTTBBob and Brownie have the absolute highest regard for getting people on target, and safely.

Looking forward to more pictures if you can get them.

Riverpigusmc
05-31-2015, 11:31 AM
Looks like fun

sdmc530
05-31-2015, 12:00 PM
Good fun!!!

ronpaul50
05-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Nice!

brownie
05-31-2015, 06:58 PM
What a great time that must have been Col.- Kudo's to that fun factor.

Thanks for the thoughts Joe. My times with a semi would be about what they saw in the lowest times as well. Some people there obviously had some speed.

pitor
05-31-2015, 07:09 PM
OH, forgot to tell you. We use wax bullets, and the propellant is a 209 primer in the 45LC cartridge. some cases are not drilled to accept a large primer and use the normal primer as a propellant. There were some other pics taken and IF I can get ahold of them, I'll post them as an update.

Thank goodness you mentioned this. I was already mumbling that this was some mighty irresponsible shooting by some, and a huge safety issue for others if you just let any stranger shoot from the hip, etc, as fast as they desire to go. Whew!

Did you also have wax bullets for 9mm, 45 acp, and any other semi auto? I know cowboy action shooters use wax bullets in 45LC cartridges.

ColMike
05-31-2015, 07:36 PM
Thank goodness you mentioned this. I was already mumbling that this was some mighty irresponsible shooting by some, and a huge safety issue for others if you just let any stranger shoot from the hip, etc, as fast as they desire to go. Whew!

Did you also have wax bullets for 9mm, 45 acp, and any other semi auto? I know cowboy action shooters use wax bullets in 45LC cartridges.

wax bullets for all caliber and weapon. 1 round at a time.
D

Caleb
05-31-2015, 08:24 PM
That's awesome, looks like tons of fun!

pitor
05-31-2015, 09:04 PM
D
Awesome. Looks like a ton of fun. Would love to try it out myself.

brownie
06-01-2015, 11:25 AM
D

I'd be all over this if I were anywhere close to the location. nanner

milkmanjoe
06-01-2015, 11:59 AM
I'd be all over this if I were anywhere close to the location. nanner

I'd be right next to you.....what an afternoon of fun this would be

DrHenley
06-02-2015, 08:55 PM

I just pour a thick sheet of wax and press it down onto the mouth like an upside down cookie cutter while it is warm and still pliable. So any caliber will work, but semi-autos won't cycle the action, obviously.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=888

brownie
06-02-2015, 09:07 PM
I just pour a thick sheet of wax and press it down onto the mouth like an upside down cookie cutter while it is warm and still pliable. So any caliber will work, but semi-autos won't cycle the action, obviously.

That sounds too easy, Wow, that easy!!!!!!!, I'd have never thought of it. :toast:

Lonestar grips.
06-02-2015, 09:27 PM

that's how I do it except I just use a brick of gulf wax.

shooter
06-02-2015, 11:03 PM
im a little lost on the wax thing.....:confused:

milkmanjoe
06-02-2015, 11:28 PM

Grasshopper....wax on...wax off

pitor
06-02-2015, 11:43 PM

I see. Thanks that wax an excellent explanation.

Lonestar grips.
06-03-2015, 12:37 AM

how so? as to the reason of their use?

if so it's because wax is safer than lead. mistakes can happen even to the best and the simple fact is wax hurts less than lead.:)

it's also cheaper to shoot than lead if you're just practicing at close range and it gives you the ability to shoot indoors.