PDA

View Full Version : sparkie's grips

dsparkie
04-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Ok guy's I just finished checkering a few more grips. Please let me know what you think:D

These are rosewood. couple mistakes on them,but good enough for me to use :o

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff395/dsparkie/_DSC0037.jpg

These are a Walnut & Cherry laminate:

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff395/dsparkie/_DSC0033.jpg

I just finished these: Black Sassafras,I think they are my favorite so far!

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff395/dsparkie/_DSC0004.jpg

My next project's are gonna be: Leopardwood , Purpleheart,& Figured Eucalyptus!

NAMVET72
04-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Sweet sparkie, the pics don't show how really nice they look......... I should know..........:):):)

Clyde

SemperFi1977m
04-16-2011, 05:09 PM
wow, great job sparkie! Those look really nice! If i tried checkering grips...it would look like rats gnawed on it haha.

dsparkie
04-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Sweet sparkie, the pics don't show how really nice they look......... I should know..........:):):)

Clyde

Thanks Clyde!! You all are good people! Glad you all let me in:)

dsparkie
04-16-2011, 05:32 PM
wow, great job sparkie! Those look really nice! If i tried checkering grips...it would look like rats gnawed on it haha.

You might suprise your self! It take's patience,and determination,oh, and a lot of practice LOL! In all honesty,If I can do it I'd say you or anyone else here could. I've seen the collective talent here and it's impressive what you guys can do. you all inspired me to try,other wise I doubt I would have even tried :)

NAMVET72
04-16-2011, 05:43 PM
You might suprise your self! It take's patience,and determination,oh, and a lot of practice LOL! In all honesty,If I can do it I'd say you or anyone else here could. I've seen the collective talent here and it's impressive what you guys can do. you all inspired me to try,other wise I doubt I would have even tried :)
sparkie we all know Marines don't have Patience......HEHEHE

Clyde

dsparkie
04-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Well you have a point there Clyde! Or at least the one's I've been around LOL:D

69Charger
04-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Clyde

Damn straight. ;)
Dave

Lane
04-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Those are really nice - I'd love to see some pictures/descriptions of how you do it. Have you tried checkering metal? Like front straps, MSH, etc?

dsparkie
04-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Those are really nice - I'd love to see some pictures/descriptions of how you do it. Have you tried checkering metal? Like front straps, MSH, etc?

I would be glad to help you as much as i can.But In the big sand box,there is a thread,I think it may be a sticky, By MR.SCIENCE. Dont know if you have read it or not,but he really goes in depth on how to checker grips. It really help'd me alot. And he has pics:D Feel free to pm me anytime with questions you may have. I'm still learning myself,but I will help you as much as I can, and maybe I can take pics on the next set that I do, if you think it will help!!
As far as checkering metal, no I havn't tried it yet,but I hope to one day!:D

BSea
04-16-2011, 11:35 PM
WOW, you've been busy. And just a few weeks ago you were asking for pointers on checkering. Now I think you can teach.

BadOscar
04-16-2011, 11:39 PM
I really like the look of those larger checkers and how it doesn't take away from the beauty of the wood.

dsparkie
04-17-2011, 07:28 AM
WOW, you've been busy. And just a few weeks ago you were asking for pointers on checkering. Now I think you can teach.

Thanks Bsea! I dont Know about teaching,But I've def. put a lot of time into learning this craft. Made me mad that I kept screwig up,so I just kept trying out of frustration:rolleyes:

dsparkie
04-17-2011, 07:36 AM
I really like the look of those larger checkers and how it doesn't take away from the beauty of the wood.

Yea I do too,And the 16 LPI is much easier to do. The smaller ones are 18 LPI and really tough on my old eyes:D Thanks for all the compliments,I know that I've got a long way to go with this,but I'm pretty happy with my progress so far:D

SemperFi1977m
04-17-2011, 11:44 AM
I agree, the large checkering doesnt take away from the wood's beauty. Nicely done.

dsparkie
04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I agree, the large checkering doesnt take away from the wood's beauty. Nicely done.

Thanks SF. I'm working on some Loapord wood grips now, doin them with 18lpi, may be the last that size for a while! A little different design, but what a pain in the A#$:rolleyes: Anyway if I were to give just one bit of advise to anyone wanting to learn how to checker, it would be this......Use 16 LPI tools!!!! You will be glad you did:D

Thedragonslayer
04-17-2011, 01:02 PM

Clyde

They just make them for what Ive seen!:D:eek:

dsparkie
04-17-2011, 05:41 PM
They just make them for what Ive seen!:D:eek:

LOL yea I'd say you're right!!:eek: But where would we be with out our marines?:):)

Cap
04-17-2011, 07:58 PM
excellent job Sparkie!!!

wish I had your skill....:(

..L.T.A.

AutoMag
04-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Very nice dsparkie!!!:)

Clyde, how many sets of grips have you accumulated so far!!!:D:D

Thedragonslayer
04-18-2011, 12:40 AM
LOL yea I'd say you're right!!:eek: But where would we be with out our marines?:):)

My guess is speaking German or Japanese!

Thankyou to all our vets for being in the front of the line,ready and willing to put the enemy in his place!!!

The enemy is prepared to die for his country, and we are going to help him! - Patton

Sorry guys it late and I got carried away again!:rolleyes:

dsparkie
04-18-2011, 07:23 AM
My guess is speaking German or Japanese!

Thankyou to all our vets for being in the front of the line,ready and willing to put the enemy in his place!!!

The enemy is prepared to die for his country, and we are going to help him! - Patton

Sorry guys it late and I got carried away again!:rolleyes:

No problem TDS. Wish we had more people in this country that felt that way!!!!!;)

SemperFi1977m
04-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Amen! Ever notice how heavy a concentration of prior-service we have here in COTEP! There's a bunch of us :-)

BTW....keep post'n pics of your work; I like seeing it sparkie

dsparkie
04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks brother................Makes me feel good about my work, even if I am a rookie:D I still make lots of mistakes , but I'm getting better LOL

skosh69
05-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Here's some more of Dale's work, just got them yesterday......my crappy picture taking does not do this mans work the justice he deserves....

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/Kimber3005.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/Kimber3003.jpg

CalWhit33
05-13-2011, 12:26 PM
when you going to open to the public I would love a set of the rosewood with the checkering.

dsparkie
05-13-2011, 08:58 PM
when you going to open to the public I would love a set of the rosewood with the checkering.

As soon as I can brother! If you want pm me and let me know what you want!