PDA

View Full Version : High Standard Sport King .22LR

TJM
01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Recently inherited this gun from my father - it had been well used by him back in the day, but recently has been sitting for a decade or more in his gun cabinet without seeing the sun.
Long story short, shortly after receiving, noticed some issues and took it to my local gunsmith who diagnosed the problem as a faulty firing pin. He was able to work the pin back into useable condition, so the gun will fire, but he promises that in very short order the firing pin, due to metal fatigue, damage, etc, will stop functioning.
Given this model has been discontinued for some years, any leads on how I might get a replacement firing pin, or even have one made? My gunsmith had a lead somewhere in the midwest (I'm in NJ), who apparently can machine new parts, but it's been about 4 months now and still no new firing pin.
Just curious if folks had any suggestions. While I'd like to have the gun in useable condition, I also don't want to end up paying so much I could just buy a new gun.
Thanks for any thoughts, input, etc.

Tom

Snipersnest
01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
You might try Numrich Gun Parts. They used to have quite an array of parts for all kinds of old stuff.

TJM
01-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestion - I called my gunsmith, he indicated he tried Numrich, they don't have them. He's working with Jack First now, but as of last friday, still no luck...
We'll keep looking around.
Tom

AutoMag
01-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Tom check with www.highstandard.com

They are producing the Sport King again. They may have the needed parts.

TJM
01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the note, tried them too. Think they are not making the same models as this was, so short answer is they are not an option. Hopefully the First Supply will come through.....until then, just have to keep happy taking my Valor to the range!!

Olympus
01-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Check Brownells. They have some parts for High Standards.

RandallZ
01-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Bob's Gun Shop web page says they have the firing pin.
http://www.gun-parts.com/histandard/

Randall

TJM
01-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks to you both. I'll have to check in with my gunsmith and see if he's checked these places. He tells me there are about 6 models of this old Hi-Standard SKI have, and they are primarily differentiated by the method in which the barrel is removed, some slide off, mine apparently lifts out. The FP is different for each model.
I'll have to check in with my smith to see if he's found these sites....I'll give him a few days though, don't think he loves the idea of me poking around and then calling him up with the 'have you checked here' calls...
Thanks for the suggestions, hope you're all a bit warmer than we are here in NJ this weekend.

nightal
01-22-2012, 02:32 AM
Mine comes off after pushing a button in the front of the frame, under the barrel, to take it off first, then the slide just slides off.