PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger Precision Rifle

bttbbob
07-20-2015, 07:30 PM
At this price point theis is going to be a homerun...Frank Galli wrote this and loved it after putting 1000 rounds through it.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1564384-the-ruger-precision-rifle-6-5-cm

Riverpigusmc
07-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Sweet

ColMike
07-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Resch out and touch someone

bttbbob
07-20-2015, 08:09 PM
its very cool...It uses AR 10 Mags and any AR acessories....Kind schweeeeeetttt

sdmc530
07-20-2015, 08:16 PM
that is VERY sweet but still 2500 bones is bit much for this guy.

bttbbob
07-20-2015, 08:26 PM
only 1400.00 retail, you will prolly be able to pick one up at 1000.00-1100.00

Riverpigusmc
07-20-2015, 08:38 PM
I'm an old bolt gun fart :p

bttbbob
07-20-2015, 08:40 PM
This is a bolt gun.......floated barrel, bedded, bedded action...target bolt and trigger.

RKP
07-20-2015, 08:41 PM
dang, that looks interesting!

Lonestar grips.
07-20-2015, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9axtjT_tkg

milkmanjoe
07-20-2015, 09:46 PM
I'm an old bolt gun fart :p

I'll roll with the old fart part....:p

sdmc530
07-20-2015, 10:09 PM
only 1400.00 retail, you will prolly be able to pick one up at 1000.00-1100.00

YES, you are right but if you have to install a proper optic on thing you are looking at an easy $5-700 minimum maybe?

bttbbob
07-20-2015, 10:45 PM
YES, you are right but if you have to install a proper optic on thing you are looking at an easy $5-700 minimum maybe?

maybe more depending on your taste in glass........

But a custom long range gun will cost 3000-6000.......

Caleb
07-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Heck yeah, I'm interested! I like Ruger, some don't. ....I do. For $1100 street price and all that modularity. ...can't beat it. I predict it will be very successful and others will follow suit.

bttbbob
07-21-2015, 12:00 AM
Heck yeah, I'm interested! I like Ruger, some don't. ....I do. For $1100 street price and all that modularity. ...can't beat it. I predict it will be very successful and others will follow suit.

I thought so too....A gun that shoots under 1 MOA outta the box. Modular and is affordable for a long range gun. Whats not to like? It will be a hit.

Caleb did you get that Mueller scope and use it yet?

ronpaul50
07-21-2015, 12:42 AM
gotta save up some dough

TLE2
07-21-2015, 01:38 AM
A fellow was buying the last one H&H had, when I was there buying some guns. He paid about 1k.

Caleb
07-21-2015, 08:07 AM
I thought so too....A gun that shoots under 1 MOA outta the box. Modular and is affordable for a long range gun. Whats not to like? It will be a hit.

Caleb did you get that Mueller scope and use it yet?

I did and I have roughly 60rds through it. It's a nice scope for the money. Although, mine might of slipped through GC. First issue out of the box was the wrong turret cap on the elevation (it shipped with two windage caps installed). That was taken care of quickly after placing a call. Reading all the reviews for this scope, everyone (mostly ) said the clicks were tactile and audible (one review said it was too audible). Not the case with mine, the clicks are a bit mushy with a somewhat muted click. Also, there is a lot of slop in between the clicks. If you are not super careful, you will easily do two clicks when only wanting one. But, this might just be nit picky stuff so I progress. I got it mounted up, leveled, and zeroed. The glass clarity for the price is Excellent. The AO works great as well as the fast focus eye piece. The power ring (for lack of proper terminology ) felt very smooth but, way to easy to adjust ( 1 pinky adjustments ). This is an issue. As you know, the ranging is done at 10x. Well, after every shot, the power ring moved up closer and closer to 14x. Not a big deal for just playing around but, it will through you way off if you are trying to use the reticle for ranging. I tried tightening the small screw on the ring with no success. I think another call to Mueller is at hand. My Vortex Viper HS-T finally showed up at my door after being on back order for two months so, I mounted that sukka up to the 700. I will try the Mueller again on my .223 build once it's finished. This is just my experience with it so far. Got to honest, I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about it at this point.

bttbbob
07-21-2015, 09:50 AM
I have these exact scopes on my rental guns for my precision course. I am sorry you have had this experience. Mine has not been that or I would not have recommended them. My biggest gripe has always been the turrents were mushy and a little sloppy. But that is, to me, expected from a scope in that price point. Big difference in price between the Vortex and Mueller... If I was not happy with that scope, call Rich at Mueller and tell him your problems. I assure you, he will make things right.....

Caleb
07-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Yep....it's expected to have issues on any mass production product. I can see the potential and value of the Mueller APT. It is still a great scope for the money, surpasses a lot (if not all) of the other scopes in it's price range. I think I just got a bad one. I will contact them and I'm sure he will fix me up.

What I forgot to mention was that I tested the tracking and it failed there as well. Set up a target with inch squares out at 100yds. Took the first shot at zero hold. Then raised the turret to 5 moa and took a second shot. Should of been 5" straight up. Well, it hit 3"s up AND 2"s right. Wait what? My cross hairs where level, the target might be off but, not by that much. Also, I was using nato spec ammo that groups 1.5 to 2 moa from this rifle.

To be honest, it was not a fair test. Next time I'll level the target, level the scope , and use some match ammo. Then , it will be a fair box test.

More to come when I can test it some more.

bttbbob
07-21-2015, 12:41 PM
You can bet I would call Rich if I thought it was outta whack.....He actually returns phone calls. He will probably send you a new scope....Would be my guess.

bttbbob
07-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Both of the ones I use often, pass box tests and tracking tests and return to zero......

bttbbob
07-22-2015, 09:12 AM
Just heard this shop is selling them for 980.00 with a two week wait....Very good deal..

http://gunnersfirearms.weebly.com/

Sheepdog
07-22-2015, 10:10 AM
What no 338LM?

bttbbob
07-22-2015, 12:39 PM
not yet anyway.

GD2A
07-22-2015, 02:13 PM
What makes this better than something more conventional like say a Rem 700 and similar rifles?

Caleb
07-22-2015, 02:37 PM
What makes this better than something more conventional like say a Rem 700 and similar rifles?

Price. If you add up the goodies it would take to get your 700 on the level this Ruger is, you would be close to $2500 or more.

GD2A
07-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Price. If you add up the goodies it would take to get your 700 on the level this Ruger is, you would be close to $2500 or more.

So the base rifle, sans optics, is $1,500 (give or take) better than a Remington or similar make?

If that is actually true then Ruger has just made one of the most significant advancements in 100 years, no?

How can this be?

Mind you, I'm not arguing - just trying to understand.

bttbbob
07-22-2015, 03:15 PM
A Remington, will take at least 1500 or more to compete with this gun. Not including the cost of the gun.

Trigger 250.00
Chassis 1100.00
20 MOA Rail 165.
5R barrel 550.00
detachable box mag 250.00 for bottom medal and 75.00 for a mag

And that is just the start.

GD2A
07-22-2015, 03:26 PM
So they're legitimately selling a $2,500 rifle for 1K - that truly is revolutionary! But ... HOW??? :D

Lonestar grips.
07-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Bob,

I like the rifle a lot but in the end isn't accuracy more important than all those accessories?

say a savage 10 could out shoot the Ruger, wouldn't the Savage be the better choice for long range work?

bttbbob
07-22-2015, 03:32 PM
would be if it came with all the same options for the same price........But alas that would not be the case here.......I own a Savage model 10 in .223. I had to put a stock and bed it, put a target trigger on it, a 20 moa rail......Now I have better than a 1000.00 in it, but it does shoot 1/2 MOA.....And I don't have a fully adjustable chassis. Nor magazine feed...

Lonestar grips.
07-22-2015, 03:51 PM
that doesn't really answer my question.;)

I fully agree for that style of bolt action rifle the Ruger is a major win. definitely cheaper than taking a stock bolt action and adding that kind of stock, rail, and detachable mag and all the other little things.

what i'm saying is you don't need all that stuff to shoot at long range (Carlos Hathcock sure didn't) if you took a stock heavy barrled Savage model 10 or Remington 700 did no mods to it and it could out shoot the Ruger then wouldn't it be the better choice?

to me the answer would be yes!

saying it would take $1500 + the cost of the rifle to bring a Rem 700 to this level only really counts if you want all the extras.

bttbbob
07-22-2015, 03:56 PM
I disagree that Carlos didn't need that. I actually worked with him at Quantico. I was a PMI there. His original sniper rifle would have cost over 2500.00 in today bucks. He bought a Winchester model 70 that was completely reworked by the armorers in RVN. Barrel, trigger, bedded stock..........The works.

A standard Savage model 10 will not outshoot this gun...They are claiming 1/2 to 3/4 MOA out of the Ruger out of the box....I have yet to see a stock Savage even the high end ones like the 110 BA do under 3/4 MOA.

bttbbob
07-22-2015, 03:59 PM
I would agree, if you could buy something cheaper that shot better and you liked the way it was decked out. It would be a buy. I can tell you, i have about 8 rifles that shoot under 3/4 MOA but none of them could I replace for 1000.00

Lonestar grips.
07-22-2015, 04:30 PM
I disagree that Carlos didn't need that. I actually worked with him at Quantico. I was a PMI there. His original sniper rifle would have cost over 2500.00 in today bucks. He bought a Winchester model 70 that was completely reworked by the armorers in RVN. Barrel, trigger, bedded stock..........The works.

A standard Savage model 10 will not outshoot this gun...They are claiming 1/2 to 3/4 MOA out of the Ruger out of the box....I have yet to see a stock Savage even the high end ones like the 110 BA do under 3/4 MOA.

Bob,

cool that you got to meet and work with Carlos! I wasn't saying that he didn't need a tuned Rifle, I was simply stating that he didn't need a detachable mag, tactical stock and all those other newer things to shoot at long range.

Maybe not every out of the box Savage will get 1/2MOA but I've read a lot of user reviews over the years stating outstanding accuracy. heck I've even seen lots of threads about the Savage Axis putting 5 shots under a dime.

because of technology Rifle makers today more and more turn out a consistently accurate firearm but if you take ten Savage model 10's and shoot them one after the other they won't all shoot the same. some will be better and others worse. saying "A standard Savage model 10 will not outshoot this gun" is a bold statement don't you think? you'd have to shoot every single rifle ever made to know that.

not trying to Piss you off or start a fight. you certainly know more about long range shooting than I do. I just find it hard to believe you need all the extras to shoot accurately at long range. I guess my 222rem, 22-250 and 25-06 that shoot under 1/2MOA (all sporter's under $600) have spoiled me.:)

bttbbob
07-22-2015, 04:42 PM
I don't evah get pissed anymore......I get it. The whole point of this was to inform folks of a new tactical rifle with all the stuff that are options on other rifles at this price point. It is an apples to apples comparison........If you have 3 sporter rifles that shoot under 1/2 MOA you are either the luckiest guy in the world or someone that sold them to you love you.
I can tell you that out of a 100 off the shelf guns less than 5 will shoot under 1 moa that cost under 600.00.

Need is a relevant affair. I don't need a bull barrel to shoot 1000 yards.....Unless I shoo t more than 10 rounds then I do. I don't need a gun to shoot under 1 moa unless the target is under a moa...............

If you find a gun under a 1000.00 that shoots under .75 moa you have a steal.

Lonestar grips.
07-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Bob,

I've always been lucky and my Dad (a Marine) had great taste in Rifles and left my brother and I some good ones.:)

I understand what you were trying to do and the fact is before you posted your thread I was going to post that Gunblast video about the rifle. you beat me to the draw lol.

it just seemed like y'all were saying you need all that stuff to make long range hits. while every advantage you can get is helpful I didn't think it was necessary.

for that style of rifle i'd say it's a winner!

Caleb
07-22-2015, 06:56 PM
You have to understand also that this type of rifle (precision LR) is built to shoot under a moa all day long. You can deffinatelly hit LR with a sub $500 but, will it do it after the barrel heats up shooting lots of rounds down range. ...is the question. My 700 5R with an HR Precision stock shot 3/4 minutes if I did my part throughout the 50 or 60 rounds shot without a long cool off period. Will a out of the box Savage Axis or Ruger American do that? Idk, I don't own those rifles but I would think not. Now, a model 10 heavy barrel might but, that's not a sub $500 rifle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still new to LR shooting. :D

Lonestar grips.
07-22-2015, 07:16 PM
yes a heavy barrel is better when shooting lots of rounds. it also adds more over all weight which means less movement and recoil which helps with accuracy. the Savage 10 and Remington 700 both come with heavy barrels for $823 or less.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/41046/Remington+700+SPS+Synthetic+VAR+308+26

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/69321/Remington+700+SPS+TACT+AAC-SD+308+Hogue+Overmolded+Ghillie+Green

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/90819/Remington+700+Long+Range+4%2B1+30-06SPRG+26%22

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/411540367/Savage+308+24+5R+THREAD+BL

when I was talking about the model 10 and 700 those were the versions I was speaking about. I only mentioned the Savage Axis to show that you don't need to drop lots of cash for accuracy. there's always a better tool for the job and the heavy barreled rifles are much better for lots of long distance shooting.

bttbbob
07-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Therein lies the issue...Long Range Precision Rifles need bull barrels due to the amount of rounds fired. They need to shoot under 1 moa groups constantly. I can tell you over the years I have heard people brag about submoa guns that when push came to shove wasnt'.......They always show a one hole 3 shot group under an inch, the best group they ever shot. That is not a submoa gun.....When they show a target with 5 5 shot groups on one target under 1 moa, then they have a true submoa gun.......Not as many guns out there that will do it.

Riverpigusmc
07-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Therein lies the issue...Long Range Precision Rifles need bull barrels due to the amount of rounds fired. They need to shoot under 1 moa groups constantly. I can tell you over the years I have heard people brag about submoa guns that when push came to shove wasnt'.......They always show a one hole 3 shot group under an inch, the best group they ever shot. That is not a submoa gun.....When they show a target with 5 5 shot groups on one target under 1 moa, then they have a true submoa gun.......Not as many guns out there that will do it.

Yup Bull barrel will also reduce harmonics. My Savage Tactical .308 shot cloverleafs at 100, pie plates at 800 all day. But I can't handle those adjustable space gun looking stocks. Just can't

bttbbob
07-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Cause you are old school like me......But I do have to tell you, you can custom fit them a lot easier than my McMillan stocks.........

But the otherside is a hand filling heavy stock just feels good to the touch.

Caleb
07-28-2015, 10:32 AM
I too prefer wood and metal, never really liked the chassis stocks (looks wise). I have never tried one so, I'm open to it. This rifle is on my wish list for the future. Time to concentrate on ammo till after 2016.