PDA

View Full Version : After looking at 45ACPs after owning Ed Brown

Shooter1103
01-28-2012, 03:15 PM
1911's and realizing for my honest needs and use, it was way too much gun. I sold it and I am now looking to buy either a Glock 21 SF or S&W M&P 45ACP full size and maybe buy the Glock or the M&P with a laser or add one to the guide rod area. I do not have a range or dealer where I can go shoot so please guys don't suggest that, I simply don't have that luxury. I have only handled the Glock 21 not the SF version and I am not even sure what the difference is? I have held my wife's pea shooter...LOL 9MM and like the different size back straps but never the full size 45ACP which is what I want. Not interested in anything but the 45ACP caliber. If anyone could lend some helpful suggestions to what I am looking for after having or currently having these two guns and actually shooting them. It would help me greatly as again, I will be buying one of these two guns on what I can gather from input from this forum and folks that have experience with them. Please guys, if you don't or have not owned or used theses guns, it will not help me for you to tell me what you think. I am only looking for feedback from those who again, have used and shot these guns listed above. Not trying to be a smartA, it just won't help me. I am NOT interested in anything else as I have owned Sig's, Beretta's , Bersa, Springfield, to name a few, and I am only interested in the two listed above. I had two Glock's and sold them both because they did not fit my big mits very well, but I got a chance to hold a Glock 21 at a distance gun show and it felt pretty substantial in my hand and unlike the smaller Glock 23 and it sub compact model I once owned and sold, I could actually get a good firm grip on it and control it. I am also interested to see what you guys think about guide rod lasers vs grip mounted Crimson Trace type lasers. Not really sure I want to go the rail mount type lasers. Thank you in advance for your help.

Riverpigusmc
01-28-2012, 03:54 PM
I owned a Glock 21 and also a 30, both of course in .45 ACP. They went bang every time, and were fairly accurate and easy to clean. Notice I said "owned". They had the feel and soul of a brick, and almost impossible to conceal carry without a briefcase. The 21 was just HUGE, and I have big hands and carry a fullsize 1911 every day. But, if that's what you want and like, then get one. My only thought on lasers on weapons is just like flashlights on weapons..they can attract bullets from a bad guy as easy as send bullets INTO a bad guy..just my opinion, YMMV

DaFadda
01-28-2012, 04:08 PM
I currently own a G21SF. I will tell you that it goes bang every single time. The reason I purchased it was that I wanted to keep the manual of arms in the house as simple as possible, and Mrs was used to the G19. Would I buy it again? No, I wouldn't. It's thicker than my 1911's, and harder for me to conceal. (Just my honest opinion). Is it a quality weapon? YES. Is it accurate? Yes. Reliable? It's a Glock. Mind you... although I wouldn't buy one again... I'd be hard pressed to not take it with me in a true bug out situation.

All this said... no, mine's not for sale! (chuckling)
DaFadda

Hoss in IL
01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Shooter, besides what I PM'd you earlier, I'll add that I only have experience with Lasergrips on my pistols and on my wife's M&P. I like them.

jmlutz
01-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Shooter, besides what I PM'd you earlier, I'll add that I only have experience with Lasergrips on my pistols and on my wife's M&P. I like them.

Yeah, I'm on my 3rd 1911 with CT's, I'm pretty much sold on them also. Mike

douglas_knott
01-28-2012, 05:54 PM
well I have owned a few Glock 20's including a SF I personally couldn't tell the difference in size. The 20 Is the same size of the 21. I have been carrying mine for the past week no issues oh did you mention Crimson Trace?

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j373/douglas_knott/IMAG0194.jpg

Lane
01-28-2012, 08:36 PM
I can't speak to the Glock question - I've never owned one. My nightstand gun is an XDm 9mm. It has a Streamlight light/laser combo on the rail that I'd highly recommend if you decide to go with something that is rail mounted.

Lane

sdmc530
01-28-2012, 09:33 PM
I have a glock for the simple reason that they work well and if I am not home the wife can pick it up and just shoot no questions asked, no fumbling safteys, nothing to do but pull the trigger. I have a glock 23 that is ported and do like it, but not nearly as accurate at any of my 1911's and not a purdy either! Glad I own one but will only own the one....

DaFadda
01-30-2012, 05:44 AM
The differences between the G21 and 21SF are small... but significant. The SF designation means "Slim Frame". The grip was made more compact by removing material from the backstrap area. If you put a 21 and a 21SF side by side, you'll easily notice that the hole on the bottom of the grip behind the mag port is smaller on the SF. It does help smaller handed shooters.

Second... Factory ambi mag release is on the SF only. The original 21 doesn't have it.

Third point.... and this one is germaine only to the 21SF, there are two types of rails that were built into the gun. Mine has the Pic rail, and there is also another type that I'm not familiar with. It's just a flat area with no serrations.

hope this helps in the decision.

fjweems3
05-07-2012, 05:37 PM
I have owned and shot the Glock 21. Would never want one again, but I do not have large hands. Glocks are not my cup to tea. It is what my department issues, however, so I shoot and carry a G23 on duty.

I own and love a M&P45c. It has the Apex sear and shoots like a dream. I love it. Have not qualified with it yet, so I do not carry it. Hopefully, will do so soon. Smith hurt themselves with LEO around here, only one department carries them anymore. My Sheriff is negative on them.

Snipersnest
05-08-2012, 07:46 AM
We had to carry the Glocks on duty too. I'm not fond of them. We got them because of a sweetheart deal. Basically an even swap for what we were already carrying. We (the firearms instructors and armorers) wanted to do a T&E with various makes, but the powers that be went for the "freebies" instead.

skosh69
05-08-2012, 09:39 PM
well I have owned a few Glock 20's including a SF I personally couldn't tell the difference in size. The 20 Is the same size of the 21. I have been carrying mine for the past week no issues oh did you mention Crimson Trace?

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j373/douglas_knott/IMAG0194.jpg

Didn't you give me crap about owning a Kimber? If not, I'm still gonna give you a hard time about your Glick. Look your's even has headlights.....funny

Sheepdog
05-09-2012, 12:22 AM
I would go crawling back and see if I could get the 1911 back. LOL I don't understand how a 1911 was to much gun but you are now looking at high cap 45's. I use CT's for practice only. They will show off your trigger management issues. IMHO I think lasers are to slow. I prefer fundamentals and a good sight picture.

scorpion1911
07-07-2012, 02:39 PM
I have shot glocks and m&ps
friend owns 3 glocks so ive had lots of shooting time with them !
I prefer the m&p so i bought one
3 very good reasons to buy m&p over glock
1) removable backstraps
2) better trigger (mine is @ 2.16)
3) usa made

PS: customer service with S&W is top notch !

girphoto
07-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Just for the record.
The gen 4 Glock have removable back straps.
I would not carry or walk around with a 2.6 trigger.
Glocks come with 4.5# and the lightest you should go is 4 on a carry.
Glocks are not made in the U.S. although they are thinking of putting a factory in Ga.
More professionals and PD depts carry Glocks as primary and backups.

Just IMHO. And my $0.02

Gary

LexKing
07-13-2012, 01:20 PM
I guess that it all depends on what you are going to use the pistol for, but I would not discount the Glock 36, as it is in the middle of what you have previously posted. It doesn't hold a lot of ammo, since it is single stack, but it is a .45ACP, feels good in the hand and a is very good personal protection weapon. I own the G36 and it is everything that I need it to be. Personally, I would have kept the Ed Brown 1911. :)