PDA

View Full Version : Bowie knife workout

brownie
10-09-2015, 12:33 AM
With the Covington "El Hefe" fighting bowie and Panther Concealment Commodore sheath. Yes, I've been working with the blade since I received it and starting wearing it daily, about 6 weeks now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAgnRVr1OwY

pitor
10-11-2015, 12:13 AM
Beautiful blade by Covington. Are you more used to the balance and feel now?

brownie
10-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Yes, it's becoming one with me over the last several weeks since receiving it. I work the steel about 15-30 minute a day, sometimes a little more, but yes, it's "getting there" as the vid demonstrates.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Caleb
10-11-2015, 03:33 PM
That's a big knife. Do you actually EDC it? If so, how is it when you're sitting down?

milkmanjoe
10-11-2015, 04:18 PM
That's a big knife. Do you actually EDC it? If so, how is it when you're sitting down?

Caleb...Brownie knows where the vid is, I'm sure he'll post it here.
But a word of advice....take his Edged Weapons class. You will likely stop carrying a pistol a good percentage of the time. No, I have not taken the class...personal temperament problem for me that, if triggered, would f*ck up the class. And I won't do that. But I may ask Brownie next year to come early and do 1 on 1 with me.

brownie
10-11-2015, 05:13 PM

As Joe mentioned, here's the vid where I'm showing bending over, squatting with it the way it's carried. It prints a little though the vid says it doesn't. I meant that without knowing the knife is there, one wouldn't see a weapon printing. Got called on that on comments on the you tube channel, then explained same as here. They agreed, no one would take it as a weapon in the way it prints.

When seated, the sheath rides up off the button keeping it from falling into a pant leg. The butt of the knife is about 2" below my armpit when seated and is still accessible from that position. Course I've got some practice and carry time in with this system so it comes as second nature as much as it might look awkward to others. The sheath system is designed to "move" with the user. So, sometimes the butt is forward of the armpit, other times straight up and down. The antler handle can be "kicked" forward or to neutral with the elbow depending on which is more comfortable and the activity at the time.

I've hopped fences with it, jumped off 4 foot landing with it. It stay put, till I want it in my hand. Then it's as fast to acquire as my concealed carry firearm on the "other" side. See, I'm right handed with the pistols so the knife is carried on the left side. Fortunately, I'm ambi in many things including the blade work.

It's not that big a knife, I've got bowies I can carry where the blade is 11 1/2" instead of this 9 1/2" daily carried Covington. That's not really going to be a carry knife for body/frame/length of arm in my case, it then is too long when seated and gets to be too much to handle for edc.

Joe, sounds like a great idea, would be good to see you again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXp5zGqwmw

Yup, the one in this link has been sold to a very good friend of mine who is also a long time student of the blades with me.

This one is the one I'm carrying now, in this thread.

edgehill
10-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Caleb, we should get together soon. I carry a Bowie that is 10-inches made by Covington and a 10-3/4-inch Bowie that Mike gave me in a karma. Once you understand the flow of how it moves in your belt you can hide it easily.

Caleb
10-11-2015, 06:34 PM
As Joe mentioned, here's the vid where I'm showing bending over, squatting with it the way it's carried. It prints a little though the vid says it doesn't. I meant that without knowing the knife is there, one wouldn't see a weapon printing. Got called on that on comments on the you tube channel, then explained same as here. They agreed, no one would take it as a weapon in the way it prints.

When seated, the sheath rides up off the button keeping it from falling into a pant leg. The butt of the knife is about 2" below my armpit when seated and is still accessible from that position. Course I've got some practice and carry time in with this system so it comes as second nature as much as it might look awkward to others. The sheath system is designed to "move" with the user. So, sometimes the butt is forward of the armpit, other times straight up and down. The antler handle can be "kicked" forward or to neutral with the elbow depending on which is more comfortable and the activity at the time.

I've hopped fences with it, jumped off 4 foot landing with it. It stay put, till I want it in my hand. Then it's as fast to acquire as my concealed carry firearm on the "other" side. See, I'm right handed with the pistols so the knife is carried on the left side. Fortunately, I'm ambi in many things including the blade work.

It's not that big a knife, I've got bowies I can carry where the blade is 11 1/2" instead of this 9 1/2" daily carried Covington. That's not really going to be a carry knife for body/frame/length of arm in my case, it then is too long when seated and gets to be too much to handle for edc.

Joe, sounds like a great idea, would be good to see you again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXp5zGqwmw

Yup, the one in this link has been sold to a very good friend of mine who is also a long time student of the blades with me.

This one is the one I'm carrying now, in this thread.

Roger that, brownie. That makes sense. I was picturing the sheath staying down the side of your leg when seated. But, I see what you are saying.

Btw, beautiful blade.

Caleb
10-11-2015, 06:38 PM
Caleb, we should get together soon. I carry a Bowie that is 10-inches made by Covington and a 10-3/4-inch Bowie that Mike gave me in a karma. Once you understand the flow of how it moves in your belt you can hide it easily.

We definitely need to get together, it's been a while. I'd love to see that blade in person!

brownie
10-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Roger that, brownie. That makes sense. I was picturing the sheath staying down the side of your leg when seated. But, I see what you are saying.

Btw, beautiful blade.

Thanks for your thoughts on the knife. The sheath system really makes carrying these large blades pretty easy.