PDA

View Full Version : I tinkered today

skosh69
11-13-2015, 08:20 PM
First of all, I want to thank Caleb for his support and helping me feed my vanity and ego. Seriously, he talked me through things, answered all my questions and made sure that I understood everything before I started.

So, remember that AR-10 I got awhile back? Well, it came with a 6" quad rail, which I really didn't like and it also had an A2 Bird cage flash hider. I'm all about things needing to be aesthetically pleasing as well and functional. Call it part of my OCD's or being anal retentive.

Anyways, I really wanted a 15" battle rail or similar for it - I don't like a lot of barrel showing, but didn't have the couple of hundred for one. I got lucky and scored a like new DPMS 12" FF quad rail for $55 and Caleb hooked me up with a Troy Medieval flash hider. Not sure how the flash hider is going to work out as far as recoil goes, but if it's too much, I'll get one of those tanker style muzzle break and just piss off those to the left and right of me. :D

Oh, also I skipped buying a new low profile gas block and just ground down the DPMS railed gas block that was already on it. A little touch up flat black and it was GTG.

Learned valuable lesson about FF handguards. There's an opening on the bottom so that you can screw in the two sets screws of the gas block. Guess what? There's carbine, mid and rifle length cut outs on the hand guards. The FF I bought was for a rifle and mine is a mid length. Sooooo, I got out the old drill and made holes so that I could tighten my gas block. More touch up paint needed. :rolleyes:

I think it looks a hell of a lot better now.

So here's a before:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/image.jpg1_zpsoqigbtss.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/skosh1/media/image.jpg1_zpsoqigbtss.jpg.html)

And here's after:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/757_zpsbyjrxz4u.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/skosh1/media/757_zpsbyjrxz4u.jpg.html)

Oh yeah, a shout out to the Wheeler AR15/AR10 upper receiver vise block, made life real easy taking things apart and putting back together.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/740625_zpsbnkycjdt.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/skosh1/media/740625_zpsbnkycjdt.jpg.html)

Gatorade
11-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Sweet! Was that a 2 piece handguard you had before? If it was PM me and maybe I can make a contribution to your .308 ammo fund! :)

Caleb
11-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Anytime brother, you did well. Now, to build a whole rifle! :D

Riverpigusmc
11-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Nice. You do know a flash suppressor has no affect on recoil....

Wilsoncrafter
11-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Very Nice.. Looking good..

skosh69
11-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys, it was fun.

Nice. You do know a flash suppressor has no affect on recoil....

Ya, after all the reading I did, I realize that. But the price was right :D

Lonestar grips.
11-13-2015, 10:14 PM
great job Ell! I really like the look of a longer rail.

Grizzman
11-13-2015, 10:47 PM
That's a Hell of a lot better. Do you plan to leave the picatinny exposed, or cover some of it with rails for more comfort?

How heavy is the barrel under the handguard? My LR308 was almost an inch in diameter till almost the gas block. I sent it to ADCO, and had them reprofile the barrel to .750 along basically the entire length, and it really improved the handling. It grouped just as well after as it did before.

skosh69
11-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Sweet! Was that a 2 piece handguard you had before? If it was PM me and maybe I can make a contribution to your .308 ammo fund! :)

PM sent

That's a Hell of a lot better. Do you plan to leave the picatinny exposed, or cover some of it with rails for more comfort?

How heavy is the barrel under the handguard? My LR308 was almost an inch in diameter till almost the gas block. I sent it to ADCO, and had them reprofile the barrel to .750 along basically the entire length, and it really improved the handling. It grouped just as well after as it did before.

Thanks. Not sure about barrel weight other than I know it's not a bull barrel like your's was originally. I have not weighed the entire gun, but I will tomorrow.

Grizzman
11-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Mine began life as an LR308-C. It had a heavy 20" barrel, but not bull profile, with rifle length gas system. I used to have a bull barreled upper, chambered in 260 Remington. It didn't shoot any better than the C, so I sold it.

skosh69
11-13-2015, 11:16 PM
Mine began life as an LR308-C. It had a heavy 20" barrel, but not bull profile, with rifle length gas system. I used to have a bull barreled upper, chambered in 260 Remington. It didn't shoot any better than the C, so I sold it.

Oh, my bad. I believe this is just a standard 0.750 DPMS barrel.

And I forgot last time, yes...I am going to look into rail covers. Any suggestions?

I'm guessing the reason the battle rails and MLok system were designed is because people got wise to how uncomfortable the quad rail is to grip and hold, huh? But a ton of money was made on them!

Grizzman
11-13-2015, 11:27 PM
I just pulled the ziplock bag out of the just drawer that's almost full of them.

I've got 6 different types.

Magpul ladder covers,
snap on covers of unknown origin (Magpul?)
LaRue index clips,
two different slide on type with locks, from the same manufacturer
some that are in 1/2 width sections that lock together

If you want to try them out, I'll fill a small flat rate box with them and send them to ya.

Caleb
11-14-2015, 12:03 AM
I just pulled the ziplock bag out of the just drawer that's almost full of them.

Magpul ladder covers,
LaRue index clips,

If you want to try them out, I'll fill a small flat rate box with them and send them to ya.

Great move, Sir.

I prefer the ladder rails, they don'tad thickness.

ronpaul50
11-14-2015, 12:54 AM
Cool beans!

skosh69
11-14-2015, 09:43 AM

Magpul ladder covers,
LaRue index clips,

Seriously? I'm gonna have to name this thing "The Cotep AR". Mich appreciated Grizz. Still got my addy?

milkmanjoe
11-14-2015, 05:02 PM
I like that rifle no matter what you do to it.....