PDA

View Full Version : anybody

Riverpigusmc
11-29-2015, 09:23 PM
ever tumble primed brass? I'm in the process of breaking down some ammo from an unknown source, and the brass is tarnished. Thanks

pig

Lonestar grips.
11-29-2015, 10:06 PM
I tumbled a live round once by accident. it didn't go off but that may not always be the case. (no pun intended) if they're just primed cases then the worst that could happen is they go off and you lose the primers.

Rick McC.
11-29-2015, 10:46 PM
I've actually read several posts by guys that tumble their brass again after they're fully loaded rounds.

I've never done that myself, but I'd think that cleaning primed brass in a vibratory tumbler would be much less hazardous than that.

In your situation, that's what I'd probably do. The only downside to it I see would be if the tumbling media plugged the flash hole in the brass.

I see it all the time in mine, but the pin that pushes the primer out gets rid of it as well.

In your instance of already primed brass; that won't be happening.

skosh69
11-29-2015, 11:55 PM
Have you given any thought as to how you're gonna re-size the brass without de-priming it? :confused:

It's actually pretty simple :D

Lonestar grips.
11-30-2015, 01:32 AM
Have you given any thought as to how you're gonna re-size the brass without de-priming it? :confused:

he wouldn't need to re-size it unless he fired it would he? of course he would need to bell the case mouth out. most of my dies do that and de-prime at the same time so he'd lose the primers that way.

if that's what your stuck with doing pig get yourself a brick of Gulf wax, push the primed cases into it and go out in the backyard and shoot them with Jake. lots of fun.

Riverpigusmc
11-30-2015, 07:33 AM

yep, take the decapping rod out of the sizing die, ya dillweed "p

skosh69
11-30-2015, 09:10 AM
he wouldn't need to re-size it unless he fired it would he?

Yes he would because of the crimp.

yep, take the decapping rod out of the sizing die, ya dillweed "p

See Zane, he's not as dumb as you said he was. :cool:

RandallZ
11-30-2015, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't. I'd fire all the primers and do it all over again, the right way. The problem, to my thinking, is there is a high likelihood of polishing cob working its way into the flash hole. You won't be able to see it or get all of it out. When you fire your loaded rounds, the grit will interfere with th e primer flash, and give you unpredictable powder burn. Or failure to fire altogether.

Randall

RKP
11-30-2015, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't. I'd fire all the primers and do it all over again, the right way. The problem, to my thinking, is there is a high likelihood of polishing cob working its way into the flash hole. You won't be able to see it or get all of it out. When you fire your loaded rounds, the grit will interfere with th e primer flash, and give you unpredictable powder burn. Or failure to fire altogether.

Randall

^ My train of thought as well ....

Riverpigusmc
11-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Nope. We're talking at least 700 or probably more .45 pieces of large primer brass. I'll resize em tarnished first

sdmc530
11-30-2015, 01:00 PM
I have heard of people tumbling loaded rounds, but not unloaded and just primed. I would think you would be ok. I have tumbled live rounds before, not on purpose. I do though put .22 in the tumbler. .22 can be very dirty so if you tumble it for a just a short bit it cleans it and keeps the gun cleaner. Works too.

anyways I would think it would be an issue of getting something in the primer hole...but heck I don't really know.

If you have any casing that are shot and still primed you could just tumble them and see if crap gets in the flash hole? A little test.......

skosh69
11-30-2015, 03:56 PM

Randall

Hey man, long time no see. Glad to see you're still around. Come around more often.

RandallZ
12-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Hey man, long time no see. Glad to see you're still around. Come around more often.

Since retirement, I've been way busy with hunting, fishing, shooting, and building an airplane. It's a tough life.

Anyway, back to the thread...why bother with re-tumbling? Tarnished btass shoots just fine in my guns.

Randall

7.62Kolectr
12-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Unless the tarnishing is so bad you can feel it and worry about feed and function why bother? Reload em and shoot em. Then start the process over correctly by depriming them before tumbling.
Or is there a mental need to see fresh shiny cases going into the chamber? :)

I don't reload but the first thought I had was same as others, how do you guarantee no material clogs flash hole inside?

Gatorade
12-01-2015, 09:26 PM
I would worry media woud get in the primer. I have tumbled hundreds of rounds of live ammo. The vibratory tumblers won't generate enough punch to dent a primer enough to fire. So I would load then tumble. One othe suggestion would be to decap the primed brass, tumble the un-primed brass, then re-seat the primers. I do it with a decapping die. You just have to move a little slower and press softer than if you are using fired brass.

Riverpigusmc
12-01-2015, 10:06 PM
nah, I'll just resize, expand and load. I ain't decapping 1000 live primers

shooter
12-05-2015, 05:29 PM
I would reload tarnished and then polish the finished rounds. I have done this before with no issues. What I didn't do was stuff the tumbler. I also would make sure up I didn't hang around this it was time to turn it off :D