PDA

View Full Version : TheTemple Index or Temple guard

brownie
01-16-2016, 07:12 PM
http://handguncombatives.blogspot.com/2015/03/ready-or-prepare-choose-wisely.html

Their Close Ready I call a Compressed Low Ready while The High Ready is better known as The Guard Position as made popular by Col. Jeff Cooper. Their Low Ready is aptly named and understood while The High Guard I have always known as The Temple Index and is also considered a preparatory position. The reason The Boot Leg, SUL and the Temple Index are considered Preparatory Positions is due to the orientation of the muzzle off the threat zone/battle space for safety purposes while the various Ready Positions orient the gun in a fast fighting posture.

Thoughts on the temple index/guard? Something you'd consider using?

milkmanjoe
01-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Hmmmm.....pistol next to my head, elbow forward, right side vision blocked.....I'll pass for myself......
However, I have seen this used in a situation or two when the armed individual(LE) had to stay low and communicate with team mates, similar to the picture, but elbow tight to ribs.

Nope, didn't read about it, wanted to post before researching.

Maybe he is just pulling his ear protection back.

sdmc530
01-16-2016, 08:36 PM
Looks detrimental to me. I am interested to see what Tony thinks though

Riverpigusmc
01-16-2016, 09:06 PM
as I said elsewhere, it looks like a tacticool unicorn. Noper

BlackKnight
01-16-2016, 09:17 PM
Thoughts on the temple index/guard? Something you'd consider using?

Looks detrimental to me. I am interested to see what Tony thinks though
I'll answer these two questions in one answer. I would consider it only if I'm shown a scenario where it would be applicable.
I learned a long time ago never to discount any tactics as long as it has a purpose.
In other words, not an absolute, but an option.
For example I'll use my personal ready positions. If I'm covering a doorway or a potential threat in front of me for what could be an extended period of time then my pistol is going to be tucked in, muzzle parallel to the ground, muzzle also in line with my sternum, elbows in. It a threat suddenly appears I can fire as the weapon is being raised.
Now, if I'm in a stack or an innocent crosses in front of me I can I lower the weapon to the Sul position.
Just my 2 cents.

Riverpigusmc
01-16-2016, 10:11 PM
I'll answer these two questions in one answer. I would consider it only if I'm shown a scenario where it would be applicable.
I learned a long time ago never to discount any tactics as long as it has a purpose.
In other words, not an absolute, but an option.
For example I'll use my personal ready positions. If I'm covering a doorway or a potential threat in front of me for what could be an extended period of time then my pistol is going to be tucked in, muzzle parallel to the ground, muzzle also in line with my sternum, elbows in. It a threat suddenly appears I can fire as the weapon is being raised.
Now, if I'm in a stack or an innocent crosses in front of me I can I lower the weapon to the Sul position.
Just my 2 cents.

Does your wife have any sisters in Florida? We could end up inlaws....

BlackKnight
01-16-2016, 10:15 PM
Does your wife have any sisters in Florida? We could end up inlaws....

Haha, no, although being your brother in law wouldn't be a bad thing. The problem is I don't think there is a women out there that can tame you. :D

Riverpigusmc
01-16-2016, 10:42 PM
:D:D:p

sdmc530
01-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Haha, no, although being your brother in law wouldn't be a bad thing. The problem is I don't think there is a women out there that can tame you. :D

Tame? I think you meant WANT funny

milkmanjoe
01-17-2016, 04:06 AM
Tame? I think you meant WANT funny

WANT?.....I think you mean.....want to keep......funny

bttbbob
01-17-2016, 10:00 AM
I have taught and used this position, once the gun is drawn, for 20 yrs....I think the Position SUL is the best for when you are in tight quarters and don't need to muzzle folks around you. It also has decent retention capability.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/advanced-handgun/

brownie
01-17-2016, 12:49 PM
I use SUL as well.

milkmanjoe
01-17-2016, 01:46 PM
I have taught and used this position, once the gun is drawn, for 20 yrs....I think the Position SUL is the best for when you are in tight quarters and don't need to muzzle folks around you. It also has decent retention capability.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/advanced-handgun/

Personally, I could snap his(picture) arm inward and feed him that pistol in under a second. God bless him if anyone is behind him. I know where I have seen it used, there was no chance of any sort of H2H attack.