PDA

View Full Version : 1911 gunsmith( for me locally)

lx2008
02-05-2012, 09:08 PM
hi, have a question. looking for a local gunsmith that you may know that i don`t . got a pm for one in pa. but a little to far for me. i`m in bedford co. pa. was hoping to find one within 10-20 miles.

i have a DW valor and i don`t like the stock sights. i want to put on adjustable target sights like you find on ed browns, kimbers. called dw and they said they are novak type but will any sights that are novak fit? are the angles all the same? i would like to order a set and not get the wrong ones. and don`t want to have the slide milled or anything like that.( in case i would put originals back on to sell etc.) would also like the set to be tritium.

can any one help me find what i need? if so, can you send me some links to the sets of whatever companies sell them?

if i can get a perfectly fit set, i can do them myself and not even need a smith.

thanks so much for your help!

GoldenVolt
02-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Not sure about the Smith in your area...

You could send the slide to Novak and they will install them for you.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41869/Product/1911-AUTO-ADJUSTABLE-EXTREME-DUTY-REAR-SIGHTS

Good luck on your Quest.

Greg

MajO
02-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I just had Jim Garthwaite do some work on my Colt Gold Cup, and he is outstanding. cowboy

http://www.garthwaite.com/services/

He is simply one of the best pistolsmiths on the 1911, but not within 20 miles of Bedford, PA.

Good luck.

NAMVET72
02-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I just had Jim Garthwaite do some work on my Colt Gold Cup, and he is outstanding. cowboy

http://www.garthwaite.com/services/

He is simply one of the best pistolsmiths on the 1911, but not within 20 miles of Bedford, PA.

Good luck.

But Good Ole MajO still hasn't got his Colt Gold Cup back yet.................:D:D

Clyde

lx2008
02-05-2012, 10:26 PM
thanks guys. just need a question answered,

this one is for anyone who owns a valor.

if the valor uses novak sights, will any novak sight work? or are there still minor variances in the cut angles?

Grizzman
02-05-2012, 10:33 PM
What year is your Valor?

The sights, and sight cut, changed from the 2009 to 2010 and later years.

The rear for '08s and '09s is a Novak LoMmount cut. 2010s and later have Heinie cuts.

Novak offers sights for lots of different pistols (with different dovetail cuts), so the appropriate dovetail design will need to be chosen.

Grizz

MajO
02-05-2012, 11:33 PM
But Good Ole MajO still hasn't got his Colt Gold Cup back yet.................:D:D

Clyde
Clyde,

For Gosh Sakes man, take your medications!!!

Jim Gartwaite did excellent work on my Gold Cup and promptly returned it, when he said he would. I do NOT want him slandered for the terrible service I have gotten with the Colt "Custom" Shop. My Night Commander has been, and still is, at the Colt Custom Shop awaiting their Tactical Package. It has now been over ten months and, as of this past week, they still cannot give me a firm date on it's completion. Nor, can they tell me what, if any, compensation they will give me for their delay. I was originally told 4 months, which rapidly changed to 6 months. Most people that I have spoken with at Colt have been very nice, but they decry how small the operation is. (i.e. 200 employees and one (1) master gunsmith). If they are that damn small, they need to tell people the wait is a year and/or stop taking pistols in. I have had work done there in the past (Python tune and refinish) and was satisfied with the results, but that was several years ago. Under no circumstance would I recommend the Colt "custom" shop today.

What especially frosted my shorts this week was when I was told that the gun was away for refinishing and how pleased I would be with the workmanship when I get it back. How would the customer service guy know how the gun will look, if it hasn't come back yet. I have had 6 months of sunshine being pumped up my 6. They have my gun, so I will just have to have a coke and a smile until I get it back. But, I do not have to support Colt in any way, shape or form in the future. I will NOT purchase Colt products in the future, and should the ones I have need work, you can bet the farm that they will NOT go in to the Custom Shop. I have no experience with my Night Commander, but my other Colts (Gold Cup, Python, Diamondback, and Detective Special) are wonderful guns. It's a shame the Customer Support is so limited.

:bdh::facepalm:

lx2008
02-07-2012, 10:13 AM
What year is your Valor?

The sights, and sight cut, changed from the 2009 to 2010 and later years.

The rear for '08s and '09s is a Novak LoMmount cut. 2010s and later have Heinie cuts.

Novak offers sights for lots of different pistols (with different dovetail cuts), so the appropriate dovetail design will need to be chosen.

Grizz

mine is a 2010. so i was told by dw. now what?