PDA

View Full Version : Work Sharp

Riverpigusmc
03-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Bought one a week or so ago, just to sharpen kitchen knives, my machetes, shovels and such. Hate spending the time on the Sharpmaker for the cheap knives in the kitchen drawer...all the good ones I use edge protectors on and touch up on the Spyderco.
There IS a learning curve. First knife I used it on, I promptly turned into an icepick with a rounded tip. So I put it away until today. Since Jake is off on vacation, I tried it again.
Took one of those paring knives, made by that famous old world knife maker "China" with the handy pressed black handle, the one I use to open cardboard boxes, mail, and to scrape dog crap off my boots. This thing is dull as an Obama speech. In 5 minutes, using the red (medium) and finishing with the purple (fine/stropping) belts, I had the knife making long slices in printer paper and shaving hair on my forearm.
It comes with coarse belts (for lawnmower blades, machetes, and shovels) red medium belts (for setting the edge) and purple belts (finishing/stropping) along with edge guides set at 20 degrees, and one set at 25 degrees that includes a serrated knife guide and scissor sharpening guide.
You will get a convex edge, so I'd never put one of my Spyderco's on it....or any other expensive knife I like a lot. But for general utility knives, kitchen knives, and machetes and such, it works really well. Pretty much a mini belt sander.
Key is to keep the spine of the knife tight against the guide, let the weight of the knife do the work as you draw it through, and STOP THE MOTOR WHEN THE TIP OF THE KNIFE IS STILL ON THE BELT!. Failure to do that will result in a rounded tip. Fortunatly, the machine has a 3 position rocker switch...off/constant run/momentary with release to stop.
Anyway, 69 bucks with free Prime shipping, I'm satisfied

Caleb
03-19-2016, 08:01 PM
I almost bought one of those but, I don't sharpen "cheap" knives very often. Great info, thanks.

Riverpigusmc
03-19-2016, 08:12 PM
oh, make no mistake...I'm going to get out my knife locker out of the safe and use it on my Camillus K Bar I carried in the Corps, along with a bunch of other knives now that I have the method down. I'm just saying Spyderco and a lot of other high end knives are flat ground, and the belt would make them have a convex edge

Lonestar grips.
03-19-2016, 08:53 PM
good review!

DaFadda
03-19-2016, 08:59 PM
Nope nope nope nope nope.... those "kitchen knives" in the drawer get the same treatment as my "good knives".... since I do most of the cooking and carving at my home. So.... dispensing with belt driven sharpeners... the only thing that touches my blades is a "Wicked Sharp" system. And wickedly sharp they are!

Just sayin'
DaFadda

edgehill
03-19-2016, 10:06 PM
A friend recently bought one but he hasn't used it yet.

milkmanjoe
03-20-2016, 06:25 AM
I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. Never took to it in spite of trying with damn near every sharpener known to mankind. I need tutoring. badly.