PDA

View Full Version : All you front sight press shooter, check this out

brownie
05-12-2016, 11:47 AM
From the 1961 "The complete book of modern handgunning", written by Jeff Cooper:

page 126
"Therefore, the practical pistol shot must be a good quick draw performer. It is sometimes hard to convince people who have been trained along the lines of this, as to identify the term "quick draw" and "fast draw" with all sorts of show business foolishness, but as a matter of fact a quick draw is not necessarily a TV stunt. It can be an essential way for a police officer, a soldier, or even a private citizen to stay alive. "

Same page is a picture of Don Nowka drawing a duty revo to Fairbairn/Sykes 3/4 hip from concealed from under a suit jacket.

Same page,
"In order of importance the three qualities of a practical pistol shot are (1) accuracy (2) power and (3) speed-but lack of any of one can be fatal"

Page 129
"To conclude this chapter [ How to shoot ], I feel obligated to quote a remark from a non shooting friend made a week or so ago. I had been discussing a few fine points with a shooting companion after a practice session,when this man spoke up. "Hell, he said, don't make a production of it. All you've got to do is point it and pull the trigger!". Come to think of it, that's all you do have to do.

Page 101
He advances the idea that 3/4 hip [ he describes it as "bent arm, pistol at diaphram level" ] is good for kill zone of a man at 10 yrds. He makes the case for 2 broad classes of pistol shooting, sighted and unsighted fire. Under sighted fire there are two categories, under unsighted fire, same for 4 division under the two classes [ sighted/unsighted.

That Cooper advanced the idea that 3/4 hip can be effective at 10 yrds with kill zone of man accuracy was a little disconcerting, what with all the modern technique shooters posts admonishing anyone who would come close to advancing the same idea.

The more I read the old masters, the more light is shed on the subject and truths emerge. Here's the supposed father of modern technique advancing the use of unsighted fire at out to 10 yrds. Something I've not done myself [ advance 3/4 hip shooting out to 30 feet ]. I'll be referencing several of the masters quotes from time to time in the future in responses to others posted thoughts/opinions. Will the Cooperites here dispute their mentors own opinions on various talking points they themselves have posted to the contrary opinion of Cooper??