PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Dillon dies ?

Arley
07-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Will Lyman rifle dies .223 work in a Dillon 550 ?
Found a 2 piece set for $32.00 . Then I will need to get what to finish dies ?

I always just bought Dillon sets but now I am not rich ,

Cal . conversion will also be ordered .

Thanks,

Arley

Grizzman
07-03-2016, 07:52 PM
While I haven't used Lyman, I do use RCBS, Lee, Redding, and Dillon with my 550. I see no reason to believe the Lyman would be any different. Actually, I haven't "used" the Redding dies yet, but they're in the shell plate waiting for use. I am curious to see if they work better than my RCBS dies.

The two die set, in addition to caliber conversion kit and powder die, are all that is required. A separate crimp die can be used in the 4th station if you want.

sdmc530
07-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Your fine as long as they are 7/8 dies. The only different set up is on the square b i believe.

DaFadda
07-03-2016, 09:27 PM
I purchased a set of Lyman 38 Super Dies for around $36. It proved the old adage.... "you get what you pay for." I have had continued problems with the seating/crimping die. Lyman's response is " buy a separate crimping die".

RCBS doesn't need to do this. In fact... I took my RCBS 9mm seating/crimping die and used it for the 38 Super (yes, you can do this safely, according to RCBS) No problem whatsoever. I won't purchase any more Lyman dies.

RCBS, Redding and Hornady. In that order. Just my opinion. RCBS and Redding are equal in quality, but Redding asks for more money.

DaFadda

Rick McC.
07-03-2016, 11:25 PM
Yes.

I use several different die sets in my RL 550B, and none were made by Dillon.

sdmc530
07-03-2016, 11:36 PM
I had lee a rcbs dies to start with both were good. Rcbs probably a bit better but when i got a dillon i got dillon dies because they are super easy to adjust and use. But are a bit more expensive too.

Never tried hornaday myself but don't hear bad about them either. I don't think you will go wrong if you buy good quality off the bat. I figured you don't replace them very often so go what you think is best quality right out the gate. If I didn't buy dillon i would buy rcbs.

AFJuvat
07-04-2016, 02:22 PM
As long as the die treads are 7/8th x 14 they will work in any press.

Coyote44
07-16-2016, 10:19 PM
As long as the die treads are 7/8th x 14 they will work in any press.

This ^^