PDA

View Full Version : Is my Black Valor shedding?

TJM
02-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Seems like a very odd question, so could think of no better place to post it.

After last 2 range trips with my Valor, notice my forearms covered with little blacks specks. They wipe right off, but am curious what they are? Shot 250 rounds of 9mm with my P226 tonight, no issues. Later, about 75 rounds into my session with the Valor it looked like someone sprinkled black pepper on my arms - both arms, although seems heavier on right forearm than left.

At first I thought maybe some difference in ammo given I'm shooting 9mm vs .45 acp. RO at my range says he thinks its from the gun - the coating coming off in small specks. Upon cleaning, I can't really see any noticeable areas of flecking on the frame or slide where the coating might be damaged.

Is this something as simple as normal break-in for a Valor? I don't recall reading of a similar experience from others elsewhere. I am a total of 750 rounds in after 3 range trips. It's only seen Federal Champion .45 ammo. During this period, I've also been using the same Federal Champion ammo in 9mm flavor in my Sig and that's not created the same issue.

Thoughts?
Tom

dw1911
02-10-2012, 11:18 PM
It's the powder. Trust me. I have used Federal Champion ammo in 45 ACP, it does the same thing. No worries. Shoots fine, just the powder they're using.

TJM
02-10-2012, 11:27 PM
That is what I was hoping it would be. You saved me a minor heart attack...I just love how that gun shoots, and to think something was slowing wearing off the internals....

Thanks for writing.

Next online order I'll spend a bit more and see what some other manufacturer's .45 ammo does...

AutoMag
02-11-2012, 03:55 AM
Correct, just the powder TJM!!:)

Thedragonslayer
02-11-2012, 01:47 PM
That is what I was hoping it would be. You saved me a minor heart attack...I just love how that gun shoots, and to think something was slowing wearing off the internals....

Thanks for writing.

Next online order I'll spend a bit more and see what some other manufacturer's .45 ammo does...

Yes, its totally messed up.... Just send it to me. I will see if I can fix it!

Snipersnest
02-11-2012, 03:26 PM
It's molting!! :p

dw1911
02-11-2012, 06:10 PM

Thanks for writing.

Winchester White Box does that even worse. F.Y.I.

GoldenVolt
02-11-2012, 06:47 PM
I totally agree with Noel. :D If it's a problem send it to me.:)

TJM
02-11-2012, 10:02 PM
You guys got me chuckling, I'll suffer through. Just received Friday my new case Of Federal ammo for it, so have some time to find another brand....thanks again to all.
Tom