PDA

View Full Version : A year in the making... Squirrel slayer is done!

pitor
09-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Hi guys.

It all started with a Ruger 10/22 TD Threaded. I bought a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC Rimfire scope, AMAZING! Then I replaced the hammer and parts of the trigger group with Volquartsen Sport Hammer kit, and also shimmed the trigger group. The result... 2 - 2.5 lbs of trigger pull, no creep, no slack, just glass! Best trigger I've ever used.

Then it laid there, for months, until this past week I finally finished it. Added Butler Creek scope flip-up covers, got a decent bipod that pivots and tracks (Blackhawk!), and had to install the swivel stud to the stock by drilling it and gluing it in place.

The results: Squirrels pooping their pants at the mere sight of this black beauty.

Now the only thing missing is a can. But I hate the idea of paying a tax stamp and waiting months for something so frivolous as a silencer. We'll see...

http://i67.tinypic.com/fkpndh.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/29zoo6u.jpg

Riverpigusmc
09-16-2016, 01:00 PM
Sweet

RKP
09-16-2016, 01:06 PM
.... The results: Squirrels pooping their pants at the mere sight of this black beauty.

^^funny

Looking good !! :cool:

skosh69
09-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Good brother, looks great.

jmlutz
09-16-2016, 01:25 PM
Good deal, enjoy it!

FfNJGTFO
09-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Very Nice! nanner

AFJuvat
09-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Looks great!

Go with the can, they are fun!

pitor
09-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Thank you guys, coming from a community of gun enthusiast with plenty of ARs and high powered juggernauts, I appreciate it.

Haven't fired it yet in it's present configuration, but I used DaFadda's karma (bore sighter kit) to get me on paper and we'll go from there.

After it's sighted in, I should be able to look at the squirrel in the eyes and ask "So, are you feeling lucky... punk!?" and then choose between right eye or left eye shot.

Caleb
09-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Looks mean as foxtrot! Nice rifle Sir.

LittleGator
09-16-2016, 02:58 PM
Good looking black rifle. It is sure to scare a pack of squirrels (and even a liberal or two). :D

Xbonz
09-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Suhweet!! But be careful, rumor has it the anti's want to arm wildlife to level the playing field....

Gatorade
09-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Looks good! What kind of range is it capable of? If I recall correctly Mossad used a Ruger military version of the 10-22 as a urban sniper rifle. Not as much penetration as a .308 so it worked better for densely populated areas. I have thought they were a good plinking gun but may think more about them for longer distances for fun. I did some 100 yard steel with a .22LR pistol and the trajectory is pretty flat. I am just curious what the distance capabilities are of a 44gr bullet.

AFJuvat
09-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Suhweet!! But be careful, rumor has it the anti's want to arm wildlife to level the playing field....

Well, if we have the right to bear arms, I suppose it is only fair that they arm bears.

Sheepdog
09-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Good looking rig.

Riverpigusmc
09-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Looks good! What kind of range is it capable of? If I recall correctly Mossad used a Ruger military version of the 10-22 as a urban sniper rifle. Not as much penetration as a .308 so it worked better for densely populated areas. I have thought they were a good plinking gun but may think more about them for longer distances for fun. I did some 100 yard steel with a .22LR pistol and the trajectory is pretty flat. I am just curious what the distance capabilities are of a 44gr bullet.

I've had a single shot Marlin since I was a teenager...first rifle I ever reblued and refinished. I routinely made head shots on squirrels at over 50 yards with a cheap Weaver rimfire scope. I have since upgraded optics on that one

BeerHunter
09-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Nice work, pitor! Looks like fun and good hunting for tree rats!

pitor
09-16-2016, 10:28 PM
Thank you guys. Hitting Tenoroc Range in Lakeland, FL tomorrow early morning.

Charlie, out to 150 yds with tremendous precision using Federal Automatch or Aguila Hyper velocity. And this is out of the stock barrel and rifle stock (non-floated).

I've seen projects with Kidd components (bull barrel and drop-in trigger group), and those fancy boyds rifle stock. Then using ammo that's hot (over 1,400 ft/sec muzzle velocity) you can accurately group around 1" - 3" at 300-400 yds.

But it gets expensive to build such a rifle. Look up Kidd components, pricey.

http://youtu.be/RJy5pNQsXh8

ronpaul50
09-16-2016, 10:58 PM
Looking good.

Gatorade
09-16-2016, 11:14 PM
http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

http://www.palestinemonitor.org/details.php?id=blwf4ha2971ym7mocp0zq

sdmc530
09-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Very nice. Better pass it around for break in

milkmanjoe
09-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Nice rifle....Love .22's.....the underestimated rifle....People are building them for SHTF scenarios as you can easily carry a few thousand rounds of ammo in a backpack.

Load it with CCI Velocitors, in the right hands it becomes a pretty quiet stopper of organisms large and small.

pitor
09-18-2016, 08:53 AM
Nice rifle....Love .22's.....the underestimated rifle....People are building them for SHTF scenarios as you can easily carry a few thousand rounds of ammo in a backpack.

Load it with CCI Velocitors, in the right hands it becomes a pretty quiet stopper of organisms large and small.
Absolutely Joe, that's why i bought it. It's the take down model so barrel and action separate for easy storage and carry. I was going to keep it stock but got the bug and added some parts, but it's still pretty stock (no custom barrel, no fancy stock, no drop-in full trigger assembly). It shoots mighty nice, I tremendously improved the trigger (I impressed myself with that one), and it shoots true with or without the scope. I also have a red dot for it, for fun and for rapid target acquisition if the situation calls for it.

I figured in a SHTF situation hunting and eating small game would be more realistic than killing a deer and having a bunch of meat spoil before I can use it all.