PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 Shield

Rick McC.
09-18-2016, 10:06 PM
Well, since I hadn't been using my standard Shield 9 since buying the PC one; I decided to trade it in on a 45 Shield.

I picked one up this past Monday, and planned to shoot it as a BUG at IDPA practice last Tuesday..

When I field stripped and cleaned it, I noticed some interesting differences internally between it and the Shield 9; lockwork changes obviously to allow for a slimmer profile (the 45 is barely wider than the 9mm), and a frame mounted feed ramp.

It fits in the same leather holster that I carry my PC Shield9 in, and I was able to get a good fit in a kydex Panther Concealment paddle holster by tightening the two tension screws some. Obviously, I could do the same with my Panther IWB.

ETA: Both holsters were originally made to fit an M&P9c.

My LGS hasn't been able to get any extra mags for the 45 Shield, hopefully that'll change soon.

Rick McC.
09-18-2016, 10:07 PM
I decided not to go to IDPA practice since they were practicing for the classifier, and went to the open range about noon on Tuesday.

The 45 Shield functioned flawlessly with both Winchester 230gr ball, and 230gr JHP.

I had noticed on Monday when I had the pistol on the bench that the front sight wasn't centered, but was offset to the right. I decided not to change it until after I shot it.

It shot @3 1/2" to the left at ten yards for both me and one of the RO's that I know, so I centered the front sight before cleaning it this PM.

Those FS are in as tight as folks say they are! I used my JMT sight pusher, and had to put more force on it than any sight I've ever worked on. I don't know that it'd have ever budged if I was using a hammer and punch.

I'll be glad when mags start hitting the market. I searched online yesterday, and the best I could find was that Cabelas is taking "backorders," with a delivery guestimate of seven weeks.

All in all, a good shooting pistol, and I didn't notice the grip texture presenting a problem at all.

I also thought the recoil was easily managed using either the flush fit or extended mags; but the RO thought that it "kicked" pretty good. I don't think he shoots any small handguns other than .38spl J-frame revolvers. I thought it was a pussycat for a 20 Oz. .45.

Sheepdog
09-18-2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks Rick.

skosh69
09-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Nice write up, thank you. Sadly, California will probably never see the 45 Shield.

Has Apex started making parts for it yet? If not, if you remove the rear sight and polish the USB, that'll smooth out the trigger.

skosh69
09-18-2016, 11:38 PM
OBTW, have you tried "flea-bay"???

Yes, you'll pay a premium, but you can have them now.

I went through the same thing when they first released the Shield years ago.

Rick McC.
09-19-2016, 10:05 AM
OBTW, have you tried "flea-bay"???

Yes, you'll pay a premium, but you can have them now.

I went through the same thing when they first released the Shield years ago.

I've seen plenty of M&P 45 mags there, but none for the 45 Shield.

Rick McC.
09-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Nice write up, thank you. Sadly, California will probably never see the 45 Shield.

Has Apex started making parts for it yet? If not, if you remove the rear sight and polish the USB, that'll smooth out the trigger.

Apex hasn't started making 45 Shield parts as yet, but the trigger on mine is pretty good as-is.

Pirate
09-19-2016, 10:14 AM
Was looking at this same tool not to long ago, but I bought the G26 instead because it was in stock. May be my next purchase.

Caleb
09-20-2016, 12:22 AM
Nice pickup and write up, thanks.

BlackKnight
09-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Can't go wrong with a .45 in almost any firearm.
I always said that if there's one handgun that was going to give Glock a run for their money was the S&W M&P platform.

Rick McC.
09-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Quantico Tactical now has 45 Shield mags in stock.

I ordered two seven rounders this AM.

http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=5705&type=M&CMN=Smith%20and%20Wesson-%20LE/Military&CMNum=142&CMSNum=679&CMSN=Magazines

BeerHunter
09-20-2016, 11:26 AM
Glad to know Shield 45 mags are now available; one more in the plus column for getting one. :D