PDA

View Full Version : Mag release

Pirate
09-21-2016, 06:56 AM
Just a quick one, probably a dumb question, but for the IWB carriers. Which side do you have the mag release? Body side or outer side?

Just something that came to mind getting ready for work. I know my G26 gen 4 has a newer mag release. And my question to myself is how have I not accidentally dropped a mag...

Just my question to self for the morning.

sdmc530
09-21-2016, 08:26 AM
I leave them all on same side just for familiarity. Would not like my glock on one side and 1911 on other. And i am left handed too. Just what I think makes most sense

BlackKnight
09-21-2016, 08:27 AM
Always towards the body. Never had an issue or heard of anyone having any.

milkmanjoe
09-21-2016, 08:51 AM
Always towards the body. Never had an issue or heard of anyone having any.

The are articles of LEO's having the extended safety on Glocks removed as it was pressing against their body, I believe when seated, and releasing the mag.

Pull gun and mag falls to the ground when acquiring the target.

sdmc530
09-21-2016, 12:01 PM
I am surprised agency's allow the extended releases to begin with. All agency's who issue guns here don't allow ANY modifications to the firearms of any type.

About 6 months ago a few guys wanted the rubber over-mold grips for the Sigs. They were very clear any modification to a gun will cause days off or termination. The left handed guys hate this rule, they wanted to reverse the release on duty weapons but policy is policy.

I bet though if you are required to purchase your own weapon the rules would not apply?

sdmc530
09-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Just a quick one, probably a dumb question,

BTW...not a dumb question. This is what we are about talking about guns and all aspects of them. I even went as far as to go try all the guns I do ever carry and see if I could drop the mag or release it while holstering and un-holstering. I tried inside and outside, and I couldn't do it even trying. BUT I only have 1 extended release on a glock and still couldn't do it.

BlackKnight
09-21-2016, 02:11 PM
I know here very few, if any agencies, allow any type of modifications on their duty firearms.

BeerHunter
09-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Mine are all on the inside against the body and have never had a serviceable mag inadvertently release. Don't have any extended mag releases, either.

Caleb
09-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Mine are all on the inside against the body and have never had a serviceable mag inadvertently release. Don't have any extended mag releases, either.

This.....

Pirate
09-21-2016, 07:32 PM
Thanks all, never had one get let go, but it is something to ponder.

pitor
09-21-2016, 08:39 PM
I know here very few, if any agencies, allow any type of modifications on their duty firearms.
So strict as to not allowing switching the mag release to the right for left-handed shooters? I mean that's part of the capabilities of certain stock guns like Glocks gen 4.

sdmc530
09-21-2016, 09:26 PM
So strict as to not allowing switching the mag release to the right for left-handed shooters? I mean that's part of the capabilities of certain stock guns like Glocks gen 4.

Right but any mods are modifications and they are not allowed. A lawyer had a field day with this at some point i bet so a rule was made. Being left handed is nothing difficult to overcome with a mag release. If its all you know you don't know anything different.

BlackKnight
09-21-2016, 09:44 PM
I should have been a little clear. No modifications allowed by the individual officers. If something needed to be done then it's done by the agency armorer.
I personally don't believe in modifying agency weapons to fit an individual officer except maybe the changing of the backstrap for different size hands. Everything else stays the same.

Riverpigusmc
09-21-2016, 10:07 PM
see what happens when ya move from a 1911 with an ambi safety to a plastic fantastic? Chaos.

Things that are plastic:
TV remotes
Credit cards
Vibrators

RKP
09-21-2016, 11:43 PM
see what happens when ya move from a 1911 with an ambi safety to a plastic fantastic? Chaos.

Things that are plastic:
TV remotes
Credit cards
Vibrators

funny

pitor
09-22-2016, 06:46 AM
Right but any mods are modifications and they are not allowed. A lawyer had a field day with this at some point i bet so a rule was made. Being left handed is nothing difficult to overcome with a mag release. If its all you know you don't know anything different.
But this is not a modification, more like a configuration. What if it's reconfigured for left handed shooter by the agencies armorer?

pitor
09-22-2016, 06:49 AM
I should have been a little clear. No modifications allowed by the individual officers. If something needed to be done then it's done by the agency armorer.
I personally don't believe in modifying agency weapons to fit an individual officer except maybe the changing of the backstrap for different size hands. Everything else stays the same.
Tony beat me to it. But the mag release position is no different than changing grip sizes. It's a reconfiguration meant to better operate the firearm well within the stock capabilities of pistols with ambidextrous mag release.

Anyways, thanks for the info, i didn't imagine LEA were that restrictive.

sdmc530
09-22-2016, 08:03 AM

Things that are plastic:
TV remotes
Credit cards
Vibrators

Not allowed to use any of these things......especially the second one......

TV remote....have not seen that in 13 years.

sdmc530
09-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Tony beat me to it. But the mag release position is no different than changing grip sizes. It's a reconfiguration meant to better operate the firearm well within the stock capabilities of pistols with ambidextrous mag release.

Anyways, thanks for the info, i didn't imagine LEA were that restrictive.

One more thing, yes the agency armor can only make changes, but one other reason for NO mods is if another officer uses or takes control of your firearm its the exact same as his/hers so no confusion as to use. Again that is a very rare occurrence but you never know I guess.

Gatorade
09-22-2016, 08:28 AM
If the holster is made for a specific firearm then it usually has a groove or a notch so the mag release is not engaged. On my Panther kydex the top ridge of the holster is right below the mag release. Giving enough space so the mag release is not pressured. Universal holsters may be different and when I used a slide holster I had the mag released a couple times.

BlackKnight
09-22-2016, 12:17 PM
One more thing, yes the agency armor can only make changes, but one other reason for NO mods is if another officer uses or takes control of your firearm its the exact same as his/hers so no confusion as to use. Again that is a very rare occurrence but you never know I guess.
Correct. The firearms are agency issued they are not the property of the officer. At any given time they may be swapped. We have many instances here where an officer who's been involved in a shooting has their firearm seized as part of the investigation. Their agency immediately (as they should) issues them another one until the investigation is over.
So far I haven't seen any southpaws who needed or wanted the mag release changed. Like Phil, they're so ingrained in working it with their weapon hand that it would be more of a hindrance than an advantage.

Lonestar grips.
09-22-2016, 01:00 PM
since y'all are shooting double stack berettas, M&P's or Glocks with a 15 and 17 round capacity you'd think you wouldn't need to change mags at all.:D

BlackKnight
09-22-2016, 01:29 PM
since y'all are shooting double stack berettas, M&P's or Glocks with a 15 and 17 round capacity you'd think you wouldn't need to change mags at all.:D
You would think, right?
Correct. The firearms are agency issued they are not the property of the officer. At any given time they may be swapped. We have many instances here where an officer who's been involved in a shooting has their firearm seized as part of the investigation. Their agency immediately (as they should) issues them another one until the investigation is over.
So far I haven't seen any southpaws who needed or wanted the mag release changed. Like Phil, they're so ingrained in working it with their weapon hand that it would be more of a hindrance than an advantage.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

sdmc530
09-22-2016, 02:53 PM

right :rolleyes:

we have some good shooters but have a few bad ones too.

I know we have 3 second drills now for ambush settings, you have to draw and fire three shots center mass while running all in 3 seconds at 7 yards. they had trouble with guys with this so everyone was issued a competition timer that beeps at you. Very cool gadget too. I guess if its good enough for Jerry M its good enough for our agency!

Pirate
09-25-2016, 06:53 AM

It is a habit for me to carry 2 spare mags. nanner

Lonestar grips.
09-25-2016, 03:00 PM
good for you.

Caleb
09-25-2016, 03:31 PM
It is a habit for me to carry 2 spare mags. nanner

good for you.

I know I should carry more ammo daily especially with all that going on these days. But, I just can't seem to find a comfortable way to carry them. Tried the pocket.....too much trouble and time to pull it out. Tried the vertical belt carry.......pokes my fat rolls when sitting or driving. Have not tried the horizontal carry yet so, maybe that's the ticket for me.

Any suggestions?

PS: I have been looking at replacing my Shield 9 for a double stack higher capacity pistol. Right now I'm only 9 Mighty Mouse shots from danger.

pitor
09-25-2016, 05:44 PM
I know I should carry more ammo daily especially with all that going on these days. But, I just can't seem to find a comfortable way to carry them. Tried the pocket.....too much trouble and time to pull it out. Tried the vertical belt carry.......pokes my fat rolls when sitting or driving. Have not tried the horizontal carry yet so, maybe that's the ticket for me.

Any suggestions?

PS: I have been looking at replacing my Shield 9 for a double stack higher capacity pistol. Right now I'm only 9 Mighty Mouse shots from danger.

Please I urge you to check www.Magholder.com (http://www.magholder.com) .

BlackKnight
09-25-2016, 05:58 PM
I carry a G19 on and off-duty. When I'm on duty two extra mags, off - one.
I am putting a small bag together to throw in the car. It's going to consist of a medical kit, two extra mags, a hundred rounds of ammo, flashlight, an additional knife, and few more things.

pitor
09-25-2016, 06:17 PM
I am putting a small bag together to throw in the car. It's going to consist of a medical kit, two extra mags, a hundred rounds of ammo, flashlight, an additional knife, and few more things.

Very good, I did this two years ago, lives in my car. Both 9mm and 380 auto as I switch my carry here and there. Add to your items Duck tape or Gorilla tape, a bit of paracord, and a way to make fire and signal.

My purpose is TO GET HOME to wifey and pups and hunker down. I could walk from work to home in about 1 hr, leaving car parked somewhere relatively safe (although in a SHTF what's safe?).

Riverpigusmc
09-25-2016, 06:21 PM

I have one of those in the truck, Tony. Everything you listed, plus fat lighter and magnesium stick for lighting fires, compass, rope saw and paracord in case I have to head into scrub to get home.

Riverpigusmc
09-25-2016, 06:22 PM

Any suggestions?

You could throw a mag in Lisa's purse next to your testicles :p

My 1911 is to fight to my truck, where I keep the AR, 3 30 round mags, a Kabar and sometimes a 12 gauge coach gun

Caleb
09-25-2016, 08:47 PM

My 1911 is to fight to my truck, where I keep the AR, 3 30 round mags, a Kabar and sometimes a 12 gauge coach gun

funny smartass.

My latest build will be my truck gun. With three 30rd mags filled with 300blk.

sdmc530
09-25-2016, 09:15 PM
I will vouch for magholder. I have one for 1911 and it is very nice. Don't use it 100% of the time but its a good product.

Gatorade
09-26-2016, 11:42 AM

Please take pick of the bag and contents. Most of the bags I have seen are either too large or too expensive for a stash bag that may never get used. I have first aid kits but need to add some items like Quickclot and tourniquet. Also I don't have much room to stash a bag out of sight. I don't have an enclosed trunk and the area near the spare is kinda tight.

BlackKnight
09-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Please take pick of the bag and contents. Most of the bags I have seen are either too large or too expensive for a stash bag that may never get used. I have first aid kits but need to add some items like Quickclot and tourniquet. Also I don't have much room to stash a bag out of sight. I don't have an enclosed trunk and the area near the spare is kinda tight.
Sure. I'm still working on the contents. Just ordered extra mags. Waiting for the delivery.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/aburena/IMG_20160926_200105676_zps5rvimmgx.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/aburena/IMG_20160926_200126700_zps6yrw1epb.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/aburena/IMG_20160926_200145662_zpsztepdpm3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/aburena/IMG_20160926_200155668_zpsojxkzd4s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/aburena/IMG_20160926_200213899_zpsb98m33ci.jpg

Pirate
09-26-2016, 08:35 PM

Don't you worry about the ammo getting cool then hot and then cool again, possibly retaining moisture?