PDA

View Full Version : Ambi safety / break in. New Vbob on the way.

BBP
02-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi, just joined today. I have a Vbob arriving Thursday. Can't wait.

Interested in finding out about the break in period and if there is anything special needed?

I'm a lefty so will need an ambi safety. Do you guys recommend one in particular?

Thanks from a 1911 newbie
Bbp

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Grouse
02-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Hi, just joined today. I have a Vbob arriving Thursday. Can't wait.

Interested in finding out about the break in period and if there is anything special needed?

I'm a lefty so will need an ambi safety. Do you guys recommend one in particular?

Thanks from a 1911 newbie
Bbp

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I am not a lefty, but i can speak to the break in. A good cleaning and very good lubing helps a lot. Rack the slide a few million times. These are tight guns. soo keep it lubed up with good lube every 100 rounds or so for the first 1000. Wipe the excess off. I have been lucky in that both my DW have been perfect out of the box. I have not fired my valor you saw online yet. I am waiting for the new range to come into play. Though i may have to go out and shoot a bit.. I have an itch.

herefordman1
02-15-2012, 04:40 AM
Welcome and congrats. Keep'er lubed well!

Jim

GoldenVolt
02-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Clean it, lube it, shoot it and repeat.:)

It would be best to oil the rails every 100 round until 500 round count.

When I get a new one I wont go over 150 rounds in one session. Cleaning it after every range trip, until 1000 rounds through the pipe.

Is Kimber the only one doing this style?????.....

http://store.kimberamerica.com/DesktopModules/Store/Thumbnail.aspx?IP=/Portals/9/4100061.jpg&IW=150&BC=FFF&CD=2&portalID=9 (http://store.kimberamerica.com/Products/tabid/67/CategoryID/3/ProductID/1677/SearchID/5/SearchValue/safety/Default.aspx)

Greg

Mike45
02-16-2012, 08:25 AM
I was going to recommend a Kimber also as they seam to be the easiest to disassemble and do not come loose, at least mine don't.

I see that Wilson has a new ambi (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ambidextrous-Thumb-Safety-Tactical-Levers-Bullet-Proof-Stainless/productinfo/192SBP/) I have seen that some have had some problems installing it, probably working out some of the bugs and it seams a bit complicated.

Keep grease on the rails and keep the gun well oiled. nanner

Dave Waits
02-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Just to add to the posts already made, I would suggest, not saying you have to do it, running a couple boxes of WWB 230FMJs through it with the gun well-lubed. As was stated, most modern 1911s are pretty tight from the factory. I always do that to help smooth the gun out and remove any tight spots.Before any of you purists attack, I know it's one of the annointed DWs but, seeing as how my oldest son just purchased an Ed Brown that went through the 'New,tight-gun' syndrome, it just shows that any new firearm can have these problems.

As for an Ambi Thumb-Safety, I'm a lefty myself. I've had a Cylinder&Slide 'High-Grip' Ambi on my Rock for over 14,000 rounds, still tight,still positive. As with many things, the devil is in the details, it has to be fitted correctly. That said, Kimbers' Ambi with the extended Hammer-pin is probably the best
Ambi out there. It's based pretty closely on the old Kings' Gunworks design and won't come apart, very positive. I had one on my Pro Carry II and it worked very well.

Ambi's, or even one-sided Thumb-Safeties that break or come loose, were not installed correctly to begin with. If you go to the Dremel Room you'll find some photos I posted of both how a Thumb-Safety works and what needs to be fitted. Just remember to go slow and file a little bit at a time lightly, especially on the ledge (Sear Engagement area).
Here's a link to the photos; http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=646

BBP
02-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Just to add to the posts already made, I would suggest, not saying you have to do it, running a couple boxes of WWB 230FMJs through it with the gun well-lubed. As was stated, most modern 1911s are pretty tight from the factory. I always do that to help smooth the gun out and remove any tight spots.Before any of you purists attack, I know it's one of the annointed DWs but, seeing as how my oldest son just purchased an Ed Brown that went through the 'New,tight-gun' syndrome, it just shows that any new firearm can have these problems.

As for an Ambi Thumb-Safety, I'm a lefty myself. I've had a Cylinder&Slide 'High-Grip' Ambi on my Rock for over 14,000 rounds, still tight,still positive. As with many things, the devil is in the details, it has to be fitted correctly. That said, Kimbers' Ambi with the extended Hammer-pin is probably the best
Ambi out there. It's based pretty closely on the old Kings' Gunworks design and won't come apart, very positive. I had one on my Pro Carry II and it worked very well.

Ambi's, or even one-sided Thumb-Safeties that break or come loose, were not installed correctly to begin with. If you go to the Dremel Room you'll find some photos I posted of both how a Thumb-Safety works and what needs to be fitted. Just remember to go slow and file a little bit at a time lightly, especially on the ledge (Sear Engagement area).
Here's a link to the photos; http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=646

Thanks for the info. Looks complicated and having to file. I think it will just go to our local gunsmith. Going to order the safety and take it to him. Do you know if the Kimber color matches the duty black vbob?

Thanks