PDA

View Full Version : Check-Mate Mags

DaFadda
02-15-2012, 07:24 AM
I was looking at prices for some new magazines for the incoming CCO yesterday, and I came across a "interesting aside." Hmmmm...

I own several Kimpro TacMags for my Springer Micro. There is a patent number on the follower. Now... I must be somewhat observant, or somewhat anal... because I noticed the patent number is the same one that is on the Check-Mate magazines. And the mags look identical (which wouldn't be really unusual in the 1911 world).

I'm thinking that Check-Mate is producing the TacMag Pro for K**ber, who upsells it for an additional $10 bucks. Or they are all purchasing the follower from the same company.

Ya think?
DaFadda

AutoMag
02-15-2012, 07:28 AM
I think either would be correct DaFadda!!!:D

Grouse
02-15-2012, 08:48 AM
It would not surprise me at all. Quick side note. Was at the marksman in seattle area a year or so a go. I wanted to pick up p220 factory mags as all i had was the orginal two and a bunch of pro mags. (who makes the factory mag for sig's p220). I had had no end of trouble with 230 Grn JHP out of my Pro mags. Did the full clean and oil etc etc. I decided to do the same with factory mags for shitz and giggles. It is then that i noticed a single difference on the mags. The mag follower has a small metal tab on it. this tab keeps it from causing problems when shooting certain ammo after a lot of rounds.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/426807_232649823492001_100002409569163_481804_7655 34205_n.jpg

you can see the tab resting on the shelf of the plastic follower. I argued that the tab was an integral part of the magazine and that promags would not function as well with certain JHP ammo's. the guy behind the counter carries a p220 and had used promags for years but carried 185grn +P's He gets a box of 230's to prove me wrong and prove his point that the 20 dollar savings was worth it in the pro mag. 5 min later i walked out with all five of their factory p220 mags and the 1 ten rounder they had. He was pissed. It was a 4week wait to get the factory mags from sig.

While they may be the same manufacture, often there are slight specific differences that one should take close note of. Test with all types of ammo, and then use it in your daily carry.

Riverpigusmc
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I heard a lot of folks say Check Mate makes Kimbers mags now..I dunno..the one mag that came with mine was immediately dumped in the range bag and a Wilson 47D inserted. Didn't even look to see who made it..but that was in 03

Horse'nround
02-16-2012, 02:28 PM
I was looking at prices for some new magazines for the incoming CCO yesterday, and I came across a "interesting aside." Hmmmm...

I own several Kimpro TacMags for my Springer Micro. There is a patent number on the follower. Now... I must be somewhat observant, or somewhat anal... because I noticed the patent number is the same one that is on the Check-Mate magazines. And the mags look identical (which wouldn't be really unusual in the 1911 world).

I'm thinking that Check-Mate is producing the TacMag Pro for K**ber, who upsells it for an additional $10 bucks. Or they are all purchasing the follower from the same company.

Ya think?
DaFadda

That is in fact correct. Check Mate is the magazine OEM for quite a few gun makers and aftermarket suppliers as well. My Cbob had issues with the factory mags I called CM a couple of times trying to figure the problem out. I finally got connected with the production QA manager. Long story short- I returned my CM's for them to look at. He called the day after they arrived and said they were defective and that new ones were in the mail to me, with a couple of KP tac mags as a sorry for the inconvience. He said the KPT's are a smidge tighter in the lip angle than the CM's made for DW and the my bob would probably run much happier with them. He was right!

They build the whole thing. It's the same ole markup game... Why make a few of your own and have to support the production infastructure when an OME who makes millions of'em can produce what you want and for less.;)
The sad part... $10, try more like 50%!!:mad::mad:

SemperFi1977m
02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
would it be this patent number by chance?
(these are Ruger 7 & 8rd mags)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/408964_3037111178912_1596977715_2578163_1400399458 _n.jpg

DaFadda
02-16-2012, 07:58 PM
ehhh yep. that would be the same patent number on the follower.

GoldenVolt
02-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Any Manufacturer can use a patented part as long as they pay royalties.

Most Gun manufacturers will outsource their magazines and sights.
They can spec out different options like bumper pads or folowers...

As with any corporation, if they can turn a profit making it in house they would...

Greg