PDA

View Full Version : The new AR Report

Arley
10-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Third shot and the bolt stuck hard with a live round in battery . So much for sighting it in . Took the rubber hammer to it when I got home . Bolt came loose as did the round . Hmm ? WTF . Tried a case ( not hot ) and it stuck also . Placed one in the chamber and it would not go into battery .

Called PSA and the guy asked if I had their lower . I replied NO . He said well there is the problem and we can't guarantee it if not . Told him this was not my first rodeo and that makes no difference . In a stern voice I might add . He said just a minute and came back with send it back on their dime . So I won't see the range again for at least a month now . %#@! *&%# .

So we shall see what they come up with .

jmlutz
10-27-2016, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear that, hope it works out well.

skosh69
10-27-2016, 08:03 PM
That sucks. Hope it all it works. Keep us posted.

Riverpigusmc
10-27-2016, 08:28 PM
chamber needs reamed. That stinks

sdmc530
10-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Eya ouch sorry brother

DrHenley
10-27-2016, 10:16 PM
A little too late to be asking, but...

Are these reloads or factory ammo?

If factory ammo chambers, but the reloads don't, all you needed was "Small Base Dies" which size the brass back down to factory dimensions.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/621875/rcbs-ar-series-small-base-2-die-set-with-taper-crimp-223-remington

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=1046

That Purple Guy
10-28-2016, 11:31 AM
That sucks. Which psa line did you get? I've had good success with the premiums and I heard the chf line is good to go as well

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Gatorade
10-28-2016, 01:48 PM
That sucks. Which psa line did you get? I've had good success with the premiums and I heard the chf line is good to go as well

The chf or cold hammer forged are made by FN. PSA also makes some barrels as well.

Pirate
10-28-2016, 04:00 PM
That is no good. Hope it works out in the end.

Arley
10-30-2016, 08:24 PM
A little too late to be asking, but...

If factory ammo chambers, but the reloads don't, all you needed was "Small Base Dies" which size the brass back down to factory dimensions.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/621875/rcbs-ar-series-small-base-2-die-set-with-taper-crimp-223-remington

Tried a factory case from my last AR and it would not go either . ??

DrHenley
10-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Tried a factory case from my last AR and it would not go either . ??

I don't understand what you mean by a "factory case from my last AR."

Was it a new factory loaded round? How did it come from your last AR? :confused:

Caleb
10-30-2016, 10:19 PM
That sucks, keep us posted.

Arley
10-31-2016, 09:37 AM
I don't understand what you mean by a "factory case from my last AR."

Was it a new factory loaded round? How did it come from your last AR? :confused:

I had an AR before this one . I also had some once shot cases from factory loads on hand so I tried one in these and it hard locked the bolt just as my recent Reload cases and cartridges.

Make sense now ? Now I am confused as usual .

DrHenley
10-31-2016, 10:52 AM
Back to my original question:

Answer: Reloads, Not factory loads. (fired brass is no longer factory ammo)

So let's try again:

Did you try any factory loads in it? If so, did they work?

This is one of the reasons why gun manufacturers usually have a disclaimer that reloads void the warranty.

IF FACTORY AMMO WORKS, which you haven't answered yet, then:

If you tried an unsized case, then that just means your last AR had a large chamber.

If you tried a sized, but untrimmed case, that means your case length was too long.

If you tried a sized and trimmed case, it means that your chamber is tight (a match chamber, for example) and the die is not sizing the case down enough and you need small base dies. OR you didn't set up the sizing die correctly and the case length is too long.

IF FACTORY AMMO WORKS, All of the above are the fault of the reloader, NOT the manufacturer.

AFJuvat
10-31-2016, 01:49 PM
^^^this^^^

Small base dies will correct the problem if you have a very tight chamber.

The upside to a tight chamber is they tend to be more accurate, figure out your leade (freebore), modify your seating length as appropriate, and you have a tackdriver.

The downside is small base sizing tends to reduce the life of your brass.

If I were you, I would pick up a few boxes of factory ammo from different manufacturers and try them one box at a time. Note any brands that do not chamber.

If all factory ammo will not chamber, contact PSA, you have an undersized chamber per SAAMI specifications.

DrHenley
10-31-2016, 03:53 PM
Too late - He already sent it back. Apparently without ever trying factory loads in it.

flphotog
11-01-2016, 07:22 AM
Third shot and the bolt stuck hard with a live round in battery . So much for sighting it in . Took the rubber hammer to it when I got home . Bolt came loose as did the round . Hmm ? WTF . Tried a case ( not hot ) and it stuck also . Placed one in the chamber and it would not go into battery .

Called PSA and the guy asked if I had their lower . I replied NO . He said well there is the problem and we can't guarantee it if not . Told him this was not my first rodeo and that makes no difference . In a stern voice I might add . He said just a minute and came back with send it back on their dime . So I won't see the range again for at least a month now . %#@! *&%# .

So we shall see what they come up with .

I had the same problem with an Armalite AR15 not very long ago Arley. Could not seat a single round, putting one in by hand it would go about 3/4 of the way and stop. The LGS sent mine back to the distributor as defective and I bought an Adams Arms instead.
The Armalite was a .223 Wylde was yours by any chance?

Arley
11-01-2016, 08:34 AM
I had the same problem with an Armalite AR15 not very long ago Arley. Could not seat a single round, putting one in by hand it would go about 3/4 of the way and stop. The LGS sent mine back to the distributor as defective and I bought an Adams Arms instead.
The Armalite was a .223 Wylde was yours by any chance?

Mine is from PSA I discovered a broken off neck from the 3rd round shot . It was a reload . Not sure if they will honor a guaranty . Called a local Smith and he is going to look at it today . The barrel was only a $100 . so it may not payoff to fix it . We will see . Hopefully that is all that is wrong . I have heard that some of PSA s barrels have problems . Had I known that I would not have bought it .

That Purple Guy
11-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Mine is from PSA I discovered a broken off neck from the 3rd round shot . It was a reload . Not sure if they will honor a guaranty . Called a local Smith and he is going to look at it today . The barrel was only a $100 . so it may not payoff to fix it . We will see . Hopefully that is all that is wrong . I have heard that some of PSA s barrels have problems . Had I known that I would not have bought it .
Not all of them are crap. FN makes their premium and chf barrels. I haven't heard of any issues with those lines

BigAm
11-01-2016, 03:54 PM
So I had the exact same issue with a PSA ar when I first got it...round was all the way in battery but I couldnt get it to come back out...probably a bad idea but I opened up the upper off the lower re cocked the hammer and fired the case out...never had an issue ever again.

I did notice that I had a wear mark on the upper where the cam pin rotates over, and Ive seen a lot of PSA uppers so that. My guess is the cam pin was resting against the inside of the upper and caused the issue till it made just enough clearance to fit.