PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for .308

GD2A
10-31-2016, 03:07 PM
Hey everybody!

I've been very busy with a new baby and haven't been here or really anwhere for the past six months. I hope everyone is doing well!

I've never reloaded but want to get myself setup to do so next year. I want to start for my 20" HB 700.

Presses and dies aren't my priority right now, a week out from the election. What I do want to buy are bullets, primes and powder. I'm beginning to understand that the world of reloading and tweaking loads is damn near infinite.

That said, what do y'all suggest I buy to put up that will get me started? I'm thinking Hornady for bullets in the 168 gr range but haven't a clue about what brands/types of powder and primers.

I'm all ears at this point - thank you kindly!

Lonestar grips.
10-31-2016, 04:07 PM
hi Matt,

well it really depends on what you're going to use the loads for. hunting? or everything else? e.g. paper punching, self defense, fighting WW3 or a government takeover, and so on.

first thing i'd suggest is once you find a load your rifle likes then buy as much powder and primers as you can afford. it might be hard to come by someday and you could always use it to trade should you need to.

for primers I use Winchester large rifle.

on powder I suggest you try two or three at first and see what your rifle likes. Varget, IMR 4895, Reloader 15, IMR 3031 and H380 all do well in the 308. I myself use Varget.

for hunting bullets i'd go with something like a Nosler Ballistic tip or partition.

for general plinking any cheap sp or fmj would probably be just fine. for accurate work the Sierra Matchking or Berger VLD are good choices.

I myself and fixing to delve into powder coated cast bullets for my 308's. cheap to shoot and depending on the load, very accurate.

AFJuvat
10-31-2016, 04:17 PM
Hornady makes good bullets, Speer, Sierra, and Prvi Partizan also make fine bullets.

IMO Prvi gives you the best deals on bullets and brass. Federal sells unprinted brass for a good price too.

I order most of my stuff through Graf and Sons. Hint, they tend to ship orders at the end of the week.

When selecting bullets, general rule of thumb is faster the twist, the heavier the bullet. I wrote a small program that figures it out for you. It is a sticky.

Primers: CCI or Winchester Large Rifle have always worked for me. Never bothered with the benchrest or mil-spec primers.

Powder: I like Hodgdon powders. Varget, BL-C(2), H335, CFE223

That said, if another panic starts, it becomes a "get what you can that works" scenario. Go to any powder manufacturers website, they post reloading data with their brand of recommended powder.

GD2A
10-31-2016, 05:55 PM
I appreciate the feedback, gents. Thank you kindly!

DrHenley
10-31-2016, 06:26 PM
#1: What kind of rifle will you be using?

#2: Do you plan to hunt, punch paper, or is this a tactical rifle? Or some combination of the above?

#3: If you are going to hunt, what game?

#4: If you are going to punch paper, is it just for fun or will you be shooting serious matches, and at what distance?

It makes a differnce...

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=1046

Gatorade
10-31-2016, 09:59 PM
Matt and I have been txting and talking about this. I reload but not for .308 so I can teach him how but not the what. He has been trying to find a powder that delivers good performance for 150-180gr bullets out of a 20" Remington 700. I mentioned versitle powders like H335 if he also decides to load for .223 but I know versatility doesn't always translate to accuracy.

Also one other thing is he hasnt had a chance to shoot a lot of different ammo in the rifle yet. So a general good powder is what he is looking for. I have heard a lot about Varget for the .308. Is that a good all round .308 powder?

Like all of us trying to stock on components he just doesn't know what specific powder to stock up on. I am still trying to source a couple thousand small rife primers and some H110 here in Miami but not having much luck and too busy. I may just put another store pick up at Bass Pro to save the hazmat charge.

Lonestar grips.
10-31-2016, 11:00 PM
I have heard a lot about Varget for the .308. Is that a good all round .308 powder?

yes, as I mentioned above Varget is a great powder for the 308. I also use it in my 222rem, 22-250 and 25-06 and get great accuracy. it will also work for many other calibers such as the 223.

while I prefer simplifying and having one or two powders for all my rifles it is best at first to try several kinds. that way you can see what your rifle/rifles like and then stock up on that powder.

buying #8 of powder that your rifle doesn't like isn't a great idea.

AFJuvat
10-31-2016, 11:10 PM
Varget is a great all around powder, it works from 5.56 - 30-06 (just not for M1 Garands).

H335 and BL-C(2) were the original powders for the 5.56 and 7.62x51.

Grizzman
11-01-2016, 12:09 AM
I also use Varget for .308, 30-06 (it is suitable for the M1) and 5.56 with great results. It seems more available in 8 pound containers than others, at least in Kansas. They haven't been mentioned yet, but in addition to the above, IMR 4064 and 4350 have been used for the .308 for decades.

I use CCI primers, but would have no reservations with using Winchesters instead.

My primary bullet choice is the Hornady 168 grain A-Max. It has a good BC, flies like a match bullet (because it is) and expands reliably enough for use on big game (and 2 legged vermin). This gives me one load that will do pretty much anything besides dispatch extra tough big game, but I've got other calibers for that.

The SMK is the gold standard, but it's sorta a one trick pony. The Swift Scirocco, Nosler Ballistic Tip (though a bit fragile for Elk/Moose), Accubond, and Partition, as well as the various Hornady Interlocks all have great reputations for hunting use.

DrHenley
11-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Varget is an excellent powder for a number of applications. It is my go-to powder in 223 and 7mm-08. It was good in 308, but Reloder-15 was great with 150 grain bullets.

The one thing Varget has over Reloder-15 is that it is less temperature sensitive.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=1046