PDA

View Full Version : Range Report - Ares Firearms Training

FfNJGTFO
11-05-2016, 11:11 PM
I was invited to attend an NFA shoot at Ares Firearms training in Leesburg, FL (http://www.gunstockandbarrel.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Gun-flyer-Fall-Machine-Gun-2016-1-001-1.jpeg). The shoot was sponsored by the GunStock & Barrel store (http://www.gunstockandbarrel.com/) in Inverness. I was able to meet and greet a number of my fellow "Florida Shooters network" forum mates. A rather nice bunch of folks!

For a $30.00 admission, you can shoot your own weapons, semi's, shoties, etc., or you are welcome to shoot the weapons on display there by the sponsors, as long as you feed 'em your own ammo. This includes, primarily, their NFA collection (a few M16s, an AK-47 full auto, a MAC10 equivalent (9mm) and a MAC11 converted to .22 The range is a 65 yard with a slot extending to 300 yards. There are several steel and other targets set up, or you can bring your own target. They call the range cold several times so that you can change targets, etc. They had a BBQ pit there for lunch. Your admission ticket also included a raffle entry.

I did a little more work with my LE6920 and, without any mods (still haven't reseated the scope), I was hitting the steel targets regularly at 65 yards. I also got to break in my Mossberg 930 "JM Pro" shottie. The "shooting" highlight of the day was shooting my first NFA item - a MAC-10 9mm full auto. I fed it 100 rounds. It went by quickly, but I learned I need to adopt a new stance when shooting it. Although the kick was minimal for single shots or short bursts, a full "empty the mag" burst will push you back a little. Need to lean more into it. But very much fun! I just need a speed loader for those 50 rnd mags.

After lunch and the afternoon "hot" session, I was done shooting for the day. I was packing up to go home, and the main sponsor asked if I could wait a little longer, as they'd do the raffle drawing in an hour. OK, I'll wait, but I usually don't win anything.

There were a few grab bag prizes, where you picked a bag out of their collection and won what was in it (maybe a T-shrirt or something like that). There were 4 big prizes including a stripped lower, and the grand prize was a GSG 1911 .22 pistol. That would be drawn last. So I'm listening to all these little grab bag prizes being given away first. Ah, I never win anything. And then the red dot laser was given away. Nothing,... Aggghhh. Then the lower.... Well, at least my port neighbor got to win that... He's a really nice guy. I may invite him to join us, but we'll see.

So, now the grand prize - A GSG 1911 .22 pistol. Yeah, fat chance I'll win that... so I'l get into my car and...... Wait WHAT? Did you say #2003???

Wouldn't you know.... I happened to win the grand prize! WOW! nanner :party:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/595861000/595861388/pix507857942.jpg

This, without the Can.... but mine has the barrel connector for a can.

All in all, a really nice afternoon! If anyone in FL wants to go to the next one, I'll pass on the info.

Riverpigusmc
11-05-2016, 11:21 PM
good deal Arnold

AFJuvat
11-05-2016, 11:25 PM
Nice score. What kind of pistol is it?

FfNJGTFO
11-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Nice score. What kind of pistol is it?

German Sport Guns Model GERG2210M1911 1911 .22LR pistol. OD Green. 5" bbl.

Not exactly NIB (some of the box contents were missing... the instructions, the lock, perhaps one of the mags (one was inside the pistol)), but I can replace all of that.

pitor
11-05-2016, 11:59 PM
Nice win Arnold, now you can quit your whining that you never win anything. The truth is I NEVER WIN ANYTHING!😭 LOL

RKP
11-06-2016, 08:09 AM
:cool: Congrats on the win ... very nice !

skosh69
11-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Congrats

Xbonz
11-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Congrats FfNJGTFO

Nice win Arnold, now you can quit your whining that you never win anything. The truth is I NEVER WIN ANYTHING!�� LOL

Uh, should we tell that to your wife?

jmlutz
11-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Congratulations!

pitor
11-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Congrats FfNJGTFO

Uh, should we tell that to your wife?
Hahaha good one

Sheepdog
11-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Congrats! GSG makes some pretty good stuff.