PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Nines

CalWhit33
02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
I have been intrigued lately by the pocket 9mm. I have seen a few hands on but have not fired any. I would like to get my hands on a Kahr CM9, Sig P290, and the Beretta Nano.

I like the hammer with the sig, would like it better if it set flush when cocked. I like the reviews for the kahr. I would like a true double action where the fire mechanism isn't under spring tension and double strike capability. Does such a pistol exsist in the size class.

Does anyone have any experience with any type and is there another type you would recommend?

douglas_knott
02-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Not I, sorry Calvin

AutoMag
02-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Cannot help you either Calvin!!:)

Lane
02-17-2012, 11:04 AM
I have carried Kel Tec P11 and PF9's on occasion. They are great little guns, but have very looong and heavy triggers - that's their only safety mechanism. I carry my PF9 with a Crimson Trace Laserguard and an extra mag: http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae312/NormanXDm/LASCO/holster5.jpg

I prefer carrying one of my 1911's usually the Colt Commander or DW CBOB, but there are times when I need a bit more concealment.

Lane

DirtyPipes
02-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm looking for the same type of gun. I have not shot any of the three you mentioned, but this is what I've heard and read :

Kahr PM9 and CM9(being the smaller) are both excellent and reliable shooters.

Sig P290 is having some issues that need to be worked out ... light primer strikes caused by the hammer. Google it and you will find some answers.

Beretta Nano I know nothing about yet.

That is all I currently know but I hope it helps in some way ...

Matt

Grouse
02-28-2012, 05:02 PM
I will never own another Khar.

i sent it back 3 times in the mid nineties to have them say nothing was wrong with it.

It would not feed, eject and the night sights went dead in under a year.

That mk9 was a worthless piece of shit.

Snipersnest
02-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I do the qual for the LEOSA course. This past fall one of the guys had a Kahr, and it was nothing but malfunctions. He was headed for Africa to teach the police there under the U.N. program and I asked him if he was gonna depend on that to defend his life. He said yeah, why not? Are you kidding me? My buddy sent his Thompson for some re-work and Kahr butchered it.

wxl
02-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Sig is coming out w/ a 9 similar to size of the P238 called the 938 (0.4" longer, same width/height) but pricy...MSRP ~$800

AutoMag
02-28-2012, 06:01 PM
RIA has a new 1911 Compact Tactical chambered in 9MM, should be at dealers next week!! 3.5" barrel.

DirtyPipes
02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Grouse ... I personally have no experience with Kahr, only what I have read/heard. Do you think Kahr has made any improvements since the nineties when you had your bad experience ?

Just curious as I was considering a handgun from them ...

Grouse
02-28-2012, 09:01 PM
to be honest,

I have not looked. that is how upset i was over the issue. I will not pick up another one to piss on it.

That being said, you have at least 5-6 other guns under that price point right now that will have companies with better reps.

If you have not looked. the Kimber solo is very appealing.

rugers 9mm, taurus, dw gaurdian, springfield emp, walther, keltec,smith 642 revolver, Hell I would take my cz 82 over the any khar any day. holds 13, has a 5lb da/sa trigger, safetey and makes a 50c piece group at 15yds. top it off that it eats steal cased ammo for breakfast lunch and dinner.

DirtyPipes
02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Yeah ... I've looked at some of the guns you've mentioned and there are some possibilties in that list. Kahr just seemed to have one of the smaller 9's.

I do not have a tall or large frame, sit most of the day, and need a more concealable/more comfortable EDC for summer other than my large bore choices. I hesitate to go smaller than 9mm but some of the .380 options suit my concealment needs quite well.

I would welcome any other considerations you might have ...

zenfly
03-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Rohrbaugh 9mm are the smallest I know of but are very pricey..I have shot the 9 and .380 and liked them but I'll take my PPS-9 in a Crossbreed IWB when it's not my CBOB.. I've become a real fan of PPS especially after looking farther into some of the 9mm ammo available today..

DaFadda
03-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Dirtypipes...
are you set on double action? Or would you consider single action IWB for concealment? I can hide my Colt Mustang Plus II (380) very easily in a IWB carry. My best friend swears by his SIG P238. I have carried the Mustang in pocket inside a Nemesis type holster with no printing either. Most people don't like cocked and locked in their pocket though. I understand their angst.

Of the DAO's you mentioned, my best friend owns a Kahr 9. Small, difficult to shoot, the mags fell out of the gun while he was firing it!! If I remember, the extractor also broke. In short... he hates it. Its now his first 'Safe Queen."

I've fired another friend's Ruger LCP. Would hurt my hand if I shot 100 rounds through it, but handled well for a short range "get off me" firearm.

All this said, If you can... stay with an IWB holster and consider a slightly larger weapon. Grouse's suggestion of the Kimber Solo in DAO (2.7" barrel) or the Springer EMP (3") in SA might be more gun, more reliable, and more fun.

My daily carry is a DW CCO in a IWB holster under a sweater vest. In summer, I wear a tuckable holster, or shirts outside the pants. Haven't been printed yet.

Just my 2 cents,
DaFadda

Roverron
03-01-2012, 07:51 AM
what about the new ECO from DW? better than EMP!

DaFadda
03-01-2012, 08:07 AM
+1 on the ECO, although I haven't shot one. Its undoubtedly built "right". Its really a matter of size, concealability on Dirtypipe, does he want single or DAO, and does he really want it in his pocket? the ECO and Springer are not fitting in my hip pocket, no matter how hard I try! lol
Dafadda

Grizzman
03-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I've been using a Sig P238 for the last year or so, and have been very impressed with it. I would rather it be a 9mm, but as already mentioned, Sig is taking care of that with their P938. I have no problem with cocked and locked in a pocket, as long as it's in a proper holster. I currently use an RBKA and Desantis Nemesis.

If the P938 feels and shoots like my P238 (with .380 auto +P handloads), I'll be picking one up for sure. I paid under $500 out the door for my P238, so I hope to be able to do nearly as well for the 9mm version.

Grizz

Sheepdog
03-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Sig now has three 9mm subcompacts, P938, P224 and P290.

DirtyPipes
03-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks to all of you for your opinions/advice.

I do own the CCO and LOVE IT ! but I should clarify that I was looking for the most concealable pocket nine(possibly .380), which some of you suggested. I do not mind SA cocked and locked in a pocket with the proper holster.

I will do some research on the above suggestions. I'm familiar with most of them but without actually having the opportunity to fire them.

Thanks again !

Matt

DaFadda
03-01-2012, 05:45 PM
where do you live DirtyPipes? Maybe theres a COTEPer in your neck of the woods with samples of what you're looking for?

Thedragonslayer
03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
The itty bitty committee is moving to guns now.... I'm not sure smaller will actually be better after the "standing the test of time."

Grizzman
03-01-2012, 11:10 PM
As a back up or pocket piece, the little ones can do enough.

Obviously we're all fans of the .45.

Grizz

JimF4M1s
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Xxxxx

CalWhit33
03-03-2012, 01:15 AM
I wear scrubs almost every day, and my cco is just to heavy for me and a nice light weight option that I can toss in a pocket is ideal. Still doing a ton of reading, since my funds are tied up now a days.

Snipersnest
03-03-2012, 07:53 AM
The Ruger LC9 is under $400. You can get one with a laser for more.

Not mentioned yet. It is not liked?

My buddy in New Hampshire has one and he really likes it.

girphoto
03-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Down here in South east Florida, When it get warm & Humid (hay, wait a minute, it is always H&H):), anyway, I sometime like to carry my KAHR PM9, It is small and light and can be carried IWB or Pocket (now use a DeSantis pocket).
And for a BUG, I carry an LCP (always in some pocket) Right the trigger is not for a lot of range work, but up front and personal it will do the job with SD ammo.

I had a Sig 238, but after I change the grips and put on Amerglo Big Orange front sights, my wife said that it fit perfect in her cell phone holder in her bag (oh, well, I do het to shoot and clean it though ever now and than.

On my KAHR, I replace the sight with BIG DOTS!
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/th_PM9RIG.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/?action=view&current=PM9RIG.jpg)

DirtyPipes
03-05-2012, 09:34 PM
DaFadda ... pm me when you can.

DaFadda
03-06-2012, 07:50 AM
PM sent
DaFadda

DirtyPipes
03-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Sniper ... that LC9 is on the list to take a look at. I'm not sure that it can be a pocket carry for me though.

RevM
03-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I have the Keltec PF-9 as my summertime, shorts pocket gun. I wear cargo shorts just about all summer long here in Myrtle Beach and with the somewhat larger than normal pockets that you will find in cargo shorts it works just fine. I can also carry it in a simple kydex IWB holster (grandfatheroak.com) and it just about disappears ... no problem under a tee shirt.

Sheepdog
03-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Say no to SOLO. Not bashing Kimbers but my friend has one that is on it's third and final trip to the factory. It will be sold upon return. Colt Defender works pretty good. I'll use it until the 938's come out.

fireduc
04-03-2012, 01:09 AM
bought a Sig P290 a couple months ago. I have about 300 rounds with complete reliability. My last trip to the range I put 50 rounds of mixed target and +P HP's through non-stop (2-second per shot rule at the range).

Surprising how easy this little pistol shoots! +P is a bit vigorous, but much easier than I thought they might be. There is almost no bite in the web and minimal torquing with +P. The trigger is long and smooth, and breaks cleanly (Don't worry if it seems stiff in the store--lots of dry-firing and a good cleaning and it smooths right out). After the 50-round session I went right into my DW-CCO .45 and my Caspian with no discomfort at all.

Also, the P290 is incredibly accurate! Standing at 15-yards I was able to keep everything in a palm-sized group (and I aint that good-a-shot).

For carry I use a simple Uncle Mikes sleeve IWB-appendix. Comfortable and drops right out of sight. The setup also drops into my coat pocket with ease.

For me the extra weight over the Kahr and Ruger is a non-issue. The Sig is built to shoot.

Dave Bob
04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Keltec PF9 its reliable, fairly accurate ( I can shoot a 2" or so group at 15 yrds ) and price wise its a winner. Here in Louisiana its easy to stick it in a pocket holster in my shorts when its 105 and 80% humidity. Even if I carry my CBOB the Keltec is on me somewhere.

Dave

MajO
04-03-2012, 11:42 AM
I do have a bid pending on a heckler&koch gmbh hk p7 9mm. I don't think that my Beretta 92FS would fit in my pocket. :D:D

DirtyPipes
04-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Fireduc ... good to hear on that P290. I almost bought one but some research came up with light primer strikes and returns to Sig on several occasions, so I bought the P238 instead.

I haven't shot it yet, but already love it !

A P938 could be on the horizon :p if my wife doesn't beat me first :eek:

MajO
04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
On a fairly big list of guns that I want to have is the Kahr K9, from Cylinder & Slide. Kahr's reputation might be up and down, but C & S's seems to be consistently high. I have spoken with Bill Laughridge, and found him to be very courteous and helpful.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=Kahr047

This was a fun topic. cowboy

onegun
04-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Having owned or shot almost all of them I carry this as a pocket piece.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/IkenI_photo/442_1.jpg
The best of the bunch mentioned, from my experience, is the Kahr PM9 (forget the P380.) Reliability has been my problem with the "pocket" nines. I jumped on the Beretta Nano (barely pocketable) and after 1,000 rounds and trips to the factory it still was unreliable. Anything larger than a true "pocket" nine requiring belt carry can easily be trumped by any number of larger and more reliable firearms. YMMV.

DirtyPipes
04-04-2012, 05:03 PM
For summer carry, penetrating light clothing, I can deal with the .380 cartridge. Any other time of the year is big bore time of the year !

And yes this has been an interesting topic. I like to hear opinions and experiences from other people ...