PDA

View Full Version : Coatings for cast lead bullets

Gatorade
11-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Ok I have been doing some research about coatings for cast lead bullets, I want to be able to cast for some calibers that cast bullets may not work well. Specifically 300 BLK but also my auto loading pistols.

I don't want to go traditional powder coating. Too much equipment to buy. So I have been checking out the epoxy paint route.

So I have heard that the shake and bake process works pretty good. I could see trying it out but don't know if there is anything specific to look for as far as paint or technique. Paint and thinner in a bucket shaken like applying the alox. Dumped onto a metal screen and either re-coated or baked.

I was thinking if they are flat nosed to stand them on the nose and spray the bottom and sides. Then bake the paint on. As long as the sections of the bullet that contact the barrel are coated then I should be good to go. Similar to a jacketed soft point.

If anyone has any thoughts or input on coating cast bullets I would love to hear about it.

AFJuvat
11-26-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm assuming that you are wanting to coat them to reduce/eliminate lead fouling.

Any coating that you apply will have to be flexible enough to stay put on the bullet while it is getting squeezed down the barrel, up to 0.004" of compression for a 30 caliber round.

It would also have to resist the temperature of the burning powder and the friction between the bullet and the barrel.

All of your suggestions cover one or two of the issues, but not all of them.

The cheapest and easiest coating would be electroplating the bullets with copper. All you need is a tank, a wire basket to hold the copper, a wire basket to hold the bullets, a conductive liquid (vinegar), and a low voltage power supply - a 6 volt battery or a 6 volt low amperage battery charger.

Copper plate, size, gas check, and lube.

Lonestar grips.
11-26-2016, 12:55 PM
I just casted and powder coated a couple hundred boolits yesterday.

all you need is,

#1 a toaster oven. I got mine at Walmart for $20 but you can find them at goodwill for less.

#2 powder coating powder. a lot of folks use Harbor freight red cause it's cheap and works really well compared to other harbor freight colors. I ended up buying a pound of John deere green and a pound of dark blue from a guy on the cast boolits forum. I think it was $20 a pound and one pound will coat like 7000 boolits.

#3 a case tumbler or a cool whip bowl with airsoft bbs. I use a lyman case tumbler for mine. I just fill it with boolits, add a spoonful of powder coat and let it run for 20 minutes. dump the boolits in a colander and sift out the unused powder and save it for further coatings.

after that just put the boolits on a baking sheet covered in non stick foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. size the boolits, load and shoot.

it's not hard and you can get into it for less than $50.

skosh69
11-26-2016, 01:34 PM
Bacon grease???

I'm guessing Phil would use powdered sugar

AFJuvat
11-26-2016, 01:39 PM
I just casted and powder coated a couple hundred boolits yesterday.

all you need is,

#1 a toaster oven. I got mine at Walmart for $20 but you can find them at goodwill for less.

#2 powder coating powder. a lot of folks use Harbor freight red cause it's cheap and works really well compared to other harbor freight colors. I ended up buying a pound of John deere green and a pound of dark blue from a guy on the cast boolits forum. I think it was $20 a pound and one pound will coat like 7000 boolits.

#3 a case tumbler or a cool whip bowl with airsoft bbs. I use a lyman case tumbler for mine. I just fill it with boolits, add a spoonful of powder coat and let it run for 20 minutes. dump the boolits in a colander and sift out the unused powder and save it for further coatings.

after that just put the boolits on a baking sheet covered in non stick foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. size the boolits, load and shoot.

it's not hard and you can get into it for less than $50.

Interesting.... the Airsoft BBs generate enough static to get the powder coating to stick?

Lonestar grips.
11-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Interesting.... the Airsoft BBs generate enough static to get the powder coating to stick?

yes it does. while I have not tried the cool whip/BB method a lot a folks tell me it works really well.

some good info here.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/17171/powder-coating-question

http://americanhandgunner.com/homebrewed-bullets-and-ways-to-lube-them/

sdmc530
11-26-2016, 05:24 PM
Bacon grease???

I'm guessing Phil would use powdered sugar

I would hate wasting either on bullets......

Gatorade
11-27-2016, 10:00 PM
I thought I replied the other day but looks like it didn't post.

Thanks AGAIN Zane! You always have the right insight and help for my questions!

I will check out the powder from Harbor Freight. Zane if you could post a little more detail I would appreciate it. Like how you transfer the costed bullets without messing up the coating, and how long and what temp you cook at.

Being able to easily coat cast bullets so that I won't have lead building up in the gas port of my AR would be very helpful! Then also loading magnum ammo with no gas checks or barrel leadding and smooth feeding from auto loaders is going to be great!

Lonestar grips.
11-28-2016, 01:37 AM
happy to help when I can.

how I do it is as follows.

#1 I first take say 250 .44 or .45 caliber unsized boolits and put them in my Lyman tumbler. (you can probably do around 300-350 of a smaller boolit)

#2 I then add a spoonful or two of powder coat and let it run for 20 minutes. powder coat sticks better when it's not humid so that may effect how long it will take you.

#3 I pick the boolits out one at a time by holding the nose and the base and place them standing up on a baking sheet covered in non stick foil.

a quicker/easier way to do it is to dump the boolits in a colander or fish fry basket and sift out the unused powder and then dump the boolits onto the baking tray. they can be laying over and touching one another but they shouldn't be double stacked. as they're cooling you can break up any that are slightly stuck together.

#4 I then bake the boolits for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees in a toaster oven. do not use an oven that is used for food. you will probably poison yourself or your family.

the baking process anneals the lead making it softer so you can water quench the boolits once the baking process is finished to slightly raise the BHN. I have not seen the need to do so.

#5 now you have to determine if you need to size the boolits.

my Ruger security six 357 has .358 cylinder throats and my NOE 360-180 WFN mold throws .360 boolits before powder coating. after powder coating they're probably .361-.362 so for the sake of accuracy, not blowing up my gun due to a pressure spike and getting them to chamber, I size them with a Lee push through sizer.

my Lyman 429421 and Lee C452-300 RF throw boolits that when powder coated fit perfectly in the cylinders of my 44's and 45 Colt so they don't need to be sized at all.

the next step is to load and shoot.

on a side note you mention not having to use gas checks?

that is something you're going to have to test in your guns to see what happens. powder coating isn't a replacement for a gas check and you probably won't get the same results as you would with a gas check boolit. some people have had great luck not using them but a lot of the time it's just not as accurate.

also, if you wind up still needing to use gas checks, put them on before you powder coat. once the boolit it powder coated it's much harder to add the check.

Gatorade
12-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Well I cast some .356 158gr FN and .401 180gr FN as test bullets, I got the Harbor Freight Red powder. No luck on the first trip to Goodwill for a toaster oven. Still need the metal fabric and airsoft BBs.

I want to use the .356 for .357 Magnum and .38 so I will be happy if it works out.

Gatorade
02-08-2017, 09:40 PM
Picked up a toaster oven today so I am going to try cooking bullets to morrow!

Lonestar grips.
02-09-2017, 12:25 AM
good deal.

make sure you do your cooking outside. poisonous fumes no Bueno. and make sure you pre heat your toaster oven so it's good and hot.

also, at first i'd start out with a small batch of say 50 or so. some of the first batches I did were on the large side and they didn't turn out good because I was still fine tuning my technique. (my oven was too cold and I didn't use enough powder to coat the bullets good enough)

keep us posted.

Gatorade
02-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Posting while they cook, I will update as I go.

Lead cast bullets in a plastic container and red powder. Hand shaken to coat.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/AR/2927CCEE-89DE-4027-8E5A-C63679DD6439_zps2ndc92ma.jpg

Dumped from plastic tub to metal tray. Some are coated better than others. Picking the best ones to cook first.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/AR/AE3F6BCF-84F7-42CC-A02B-62302A5AB7E4_zps1efods06.jpg

Used needle nose players to pick them and put them on an aluminum foil covered tray. Flat nose down.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/AR/4934961C-97F2-4711-A8CC-7DD64E195DDF_zpszqshtuia.jpg

First batched done cooking, ready to cool.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/AR/486E9317-DF16-4330-B2FA-5A8EB9859C87_zpsswsckjyy.jpg

First batch is off and cool. Not 100% coated but I can re powder and bake again if I feel I need to.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/AR/FA9ECBC7-42A3-4BD5-ABC3-FD4600A49EE9_zpswphx9ld4.jpg

Crush tested one. The powder stuck with zero flaking. Crushed it flat with tree blows from a hammer. The silver on the top is stuck aluminum foil.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/AR/A4A01E0C-4541-45A8-93FA-B5014D68EDFB_zpsej0lhr93.jpg

I see what you mean about non stick foil!
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/AR/56DD6625-A622-493A-9495-05CC2E19E747_zpsw0dinbcd.jpg

DrHenley
02-09-2017, 05:10 PM
I use parchment paper when baking bullets.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=888

Gatorade
02-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Only thing left is to size them but I want to clean my sizing dies. They are caked with dried alox. These are .356 158gr that I can use for .38 or .357, and .401 180gr that I want to use for .40 S&W. Now that I have seen the results I also want to get a 9mm round nose and a 300 BLK die and start casting for those as well! I am going to be a very happy guy if I can get jacked performance bullets from cast wheel weights! Time to hit up the tire shops!

Gatorade
02-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Ran these through the sizer. Needed a little Rem oil spray in the die but they sized pretty good. I am thinking I could give these a second coat and then a final size and they should stay coated. All in all I think those were a pretty good first run.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/AR/047FC118-FC72-42B6-AB46-FA28F0E12C9C_zpspcp4msfz.jpg

I have not been to worried about the flat nose or the cone because those won't contact the barrel. I may need to adjust when I start coating round nose bullets.

Lonestar grips.
02-09-2017, 06:57 PM
you're off to a good start.

if you have any bare spots on the bearing surfaces then i'd recoat. otherwise I wouldn't bother.

question,

what are you using to shake them in? and are you using the airsoft bb's?

Gatorade
02-09-2017, 07:09 PM
you're off to a good start.

if you have any bare spots on the bearing surfaces then i'd recoat. otherwise I wouldn't bother.

question,

what are you using to shake them in? and are you using the airsoft bb's?

Ok I'll re-coat if there are bare spots on the area of contact.

No BBs just a plastic container I haven't had time to get to the store to get some. I was thinking the static from the plastic container may make due for now. I also would need to clean my tumbler because it has walnut media caked in it that would need to be cleaned out first.

Lonestar grips.
02-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Ok I'll re-coat if there are bare spots on the area of contact.

No BBs just a plastic container I haven't had time to get to the store to get some. I was thinking the static from the plastic container may make due for now. I also would need to clean my tumbler because it has walnut media caked in it that would need to be cleaned out first.

judging from your second picture the powder isn't sticking as good as it should. make sure your plastic container is a number 5 (bottom of container, triangle with "5" inside it) this kind of plastic generates better static electricity. and when you get the BB's get the black colored ones. they're supposed to work the best.

how long are you shaking them? sometimes it can take more than 2 or 3 minutes. when you're boolits have a nice, even coat then you should be good to go.

Gatorade
02-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Second batch started much better with the airsoft bbs. All they had was the red ones. Gave a much improved coating. The parchment paper didn't work out so well. I think the thermostat on my cheap oven got a little too high. Melted a couple bullets and the parchment burnt up. Next trip to Publix will get non stick foil. Had to pull them out a couple minutes early but the ones that didn't melt look better.

Lonestar grips.
02-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Second batch started much better with the airsoft bbs. All they had was the red ones. Gave a much improved coating. The parchment paper didn't work out so well. I think the thermostat on my cheap oven got a little too high. Melted a couple bullets and the parchment burnt up. Next trip to Publix will get non stick foil. Had to pull them out a couple minutes early but the ones that didn't melt look better.

yeah, cheap to mid priced toaster ovens are notorious for never being accurate temperature wise. it was suggest to me that I either spend even more coin on a convection oven or buy a cheap oven thermometer. I opted for the thermometer.

before I got non stick foil i'd just stand the boolits on their bases. after they were done cooking but before they were fully cooled I could usually break them from the foil before it was fully stuck. on the ones where the foil did stick I figured it would act like a mini gas check lol.

Gatorade
02-11-2017, 10:15 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/AR/C299E01E-5BD5-45C0-9EFA-F1872379D19C_zpso3eo904b.jpg

These were coated twice and sized but the second coat with the air soft bb's was so thick that I probably won't need to do two coats next time. Some of the ones that got too hot in the last batch had some deformity at the base that when pushed through the sizing due were not usable at all. Chucked those into the melting pot. I read up on the gas check issue. I was thinking the gas check was to necessary to keep the end of the bullet from melting under hotter loads and powder coating would eliminate the need for the gas check. Wrong. The gas check essentially seals the gaps around the bullet that gas could escape from. So powder coating wouldn't matter if the load was hot enough to require a gas check. For now I won't have any loads that would require a gas check so no need to mess with it. I am happy that powder coated bullets will act like jacketed bullets in the large majority of my loads.

Thanks again Zane for your insight and experience!

Lonestar grips.
02-12-2017, 11:20 AM
your boolits look good! glad I could help!

now it's time to go shooting. let us know how they do.