PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Basics for the Novice

DaFadda
12-13-2016, 09:28 AM
There were some recent questions on the forum about getting into reloading. I found this article on SkilledSurvival.com, and thought I would pass it along.

The article is well written, with a lot of basic information on the concept. Of course... it's written by and for "preppers", so you have to expect the phrases like "When the SHTF, bullets will be the new coin of the realm"... etc.

That said, I found the article informative, and it may be valuable to anyone thinking about reloading as a hobby. Just remember, even though "they" say you will save money by reloading... it's simply not true. IF you start reloading, I promise you... you'll just shoot more. you'll shoot cheaper, but more.

Enjoy the article!
DaFadda

http://www.skilledsurvival.com/how-to-reload-ammo/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bcast20161212&utm_content=aweber

FfNJGTFO
12-13-2016, 09:37 AM
There were some recent questions on the forum about getting into reloading. I found this article on SkilledSurvival.com, and thought I would pass it along.

The article is well written, with a lot of basic information on the concept. Of course... it's written by and for "preppers", so you have to expect the phrases like "When the SHTF, bullets will be the new coin of the realm"... etc.

That said, I found the article informative, and it may be valuable to anyone thinking about reloading as a hobby. Just remember, even though "they" say you will save money by reloading... it's simply not true. IF you start reloading, I promise you... you'll just shoot more. you'll shoot cheaper, but more.

Enjoy the article!
DaFadda

http://www.skilledsurvival.com/how-to-reload-ammo/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bcast20161212&utm_content=aweber

Many Thanks, Padre. For me, it's a matter of how much shooting I do on a regular basis. That's when it would start to get economical for me. I'm not sure if I'll ever get good enough to want to do it for building "custom loads," etc. to my preferences... I have no idea what those preferences might be and/or how to appreciate them.

skosh69
12-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Great article padre, thanks for posting.

Powder goes in the shell right? Is that before or after you seat the primer?

One thing I learned about reloading is do you homework regarding presses. While it's suggested that newcomers learn the process on a single stage, which is what the late Dave Waits and other members here shared with me, but my philosophy is always been "work smart, not hard". And for me, that is just not the case regarding single stages.

It was said that on a single stage, you will go slower and not make as many mistakes. Really? How many squibs did I have my first batch? I know, that was MY FAULT, I FORGOT THE POWDER. Had I been using a progressive press like a Dillon with a low powder alarm set up or another progressive type press with a powder drop, I wouldn't have missed those 3 cases would I?

On a single stage, it takes me roughly 1 hr to make 100 rounds of finished ammo, because you do everything in a "single step", 5 times - Decap or deprime & resize, flare, hand prime, fill with powder, seat & crimp. Even a manually indexing progressive press is faster as there are no die changes and you can set them up to run like a progressive, except you index it manually.

Not counting the cost of components, but only taking into account what my time is worth, for me it's cheaper to go buy 100 rounds of either 9mm or 45 ACP, even at my local sporting goods store or LGS, tax included!

I know reloading is not about speed and can be thought of as therapeutic, but I've seriously lost interest in reloading because I cannot stand the time it takes. Call me young and impatient, whatever. I just feel there's better ways to spend my time.

I dropped a decent amount of coin to get the complete single stage set up and someday, it'll get sold and I'll spend even more money for a progressive that I should've bought in the first place. This is why I say you need to do your homework and think about what your needs are.

If you're a casual shooter that only needs a fair amount for the month or a hunter that needs even less, but wants more accurately loaded ammo, a single stage is just fine.

But if you're into a lot of range time, training or competition, a progressive press is the only way to go.

Remember, this is just my 0.02. YMMV.

Good day.

AFJuvat
12-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Awwww... and I was writing one up for the forum.....

sdmc530
12-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Good read, you will not save money reloading. You WILL shoot more and spend money on stuff to reload with that you don't need so make sure you are well prepared and know what you really need and what is a luxury in the process. Example would be bullet feeder, case feeder maybe, fancy scale when a beam scale will do the job very well. I dropped $100 in a digital caliper, its fancy and is great but a traditional dial will do the job just as well. You get the idea, point it do your home work, Ellison is spot on with this point.

Once you buy your set up it will take maybe years to start getting ahead for reloading if you go all out. But so worth it!

BeerHunter
12-13-2016, 11:44 AM

Enjoy the article!
DaFadda

Some very true words right there!

Gatorade
12-13-2016, 02:14 PM

Post it any way. Articles are good but first hand writings from members are more valuable.

As far as the costs yes for just 9mm or .45 ACP it may take a while to recoup costs but my 38-40 loads cost under $4/50. Midway now sells a box at $40 and when I started loading 38-40 it was $106/50. Then I jumped into 300 BLK when it was $45/20.

Believe me that press paid for itself quickly.

coatessey
12-13-2016, 08:08 PM

Please post one. Those of us on the fence are always looking for additional resources and points of view.

Riverpigusmc
12-13-2016, 08:41 PM
I use a Lee 4 hole turret press. I remove the ratchet so it does not auto advance, and load in batches. I prime off the press, so it's resize 50, then prime on a hand primer, then expand those, then load them with a Little Dandy powder measure, then seat and crimp in separate steps. Once my dies are set in a turret, I don't have to change them unless I go to a different bullet profile. Changing calibers is a snap....just snap the .45 turret out, snap a new turret in...dies are already set

coatessey
12-13-2016, 08:47 PM

Enjoy the article!
DaFadda

Thanks DaFadda that was a really good read.

pitor
12-13-2016, 09:29 PM

Enjoy the article!
DaFadda

Thank you, yes after I get my 1911 I'll start than the path of reloading. Any info is much appreciated.