PDA

View Full Version : New Dan Wesson .357 Magnum's for Sale!

dw1911
02-19-2012, 12:43 AM
I just saw that Cove Creek is selling NEW Dan Wesson Revolvers!!!!
.357 Magnum, 6" Stainless Steel
http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/gun-room/dan-wesson-model-715-357-mag-revolver
Anyone here know about this?
I KNOW that DW used to make the Finest Large Frame Revolvers!

Steve CT
02-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Dan Wesson/CZ announced about a year ago that the Model 715 Stainless .357 Magnum would be re-introduced. They are now in gunshops in the 6" VH (Vent Heavy) configuration only, there are not yet any Pistol Packs or other barrel configurations. I am a longtime DW revolver shooter, and I own several of the original Monson 715's.

I recently handled one of the new ones, it has an outstanding stainless finish, fit and function seems very good, it is a very faithful re-introduction of the classic DW revolver. It's also EXPENSIVE, the one I saw was $1068, and that was about $200 below MSRP. Dan Wesson/CZ has maintained parts and service for the original DW design, and this new one appears to be a very refined, classy continuation of the design.

The 715 is (and always has been) their Small Frame. The .41 and .44 were Large Frame, and the SuperMags were a stretched Large Frame. DW revolver accuracy has always been due largely to the tensioned barrel design and the cylinder latch housed on the crane, no reason to think that the accuracy has changed since none of the design changed.

dw1911
02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Dan Wesson/CZ announced about a year ago that the Model 715 Stainless .357 Magnum would be re-introduced. They are now in gunshops in the 6" VH (Vent Heavy) configuration only, there are not yet any Pistol Packs or other barrel configurations. I am a longtime DW revolver shooter, and I own several of the original Monson 715's.

I recently handled one of the new ones, it has an outstanding stainless finish, fit and function seems very good, it is a very faithful re-introduction of the classic DW revolver. It's also EXPENSIVE, the one I saw was $1068, and that was about $200 below MSRP. Dan Wesson/CZ has maintained parts and service for the original DW design, and this new one appears to be a very refined, classy continuation of the design.

The 715 is (and always has been) their Small Frame. The .41 and .44 were Large Frame, and the SuperMags were a stretched Large Frame. DW revolver accuracy has always been due largely to the tensioned barrel design and the cylinder latch housed on the crane, no reason to think that the accuracy has changed since none of the design changed.

This is a good thing! :hail:

markenki
02-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Will there be a four-inch version?

AutoMag
02-20-2012, 09:09 AM
That is good to know!!:)

I still have an original DW 715 and it is dead on. They are probably the most accurate revolver due to the fact that the barrel is under tension at both ends!!!

herefordman1
02-20-2012, 09:38 AM
I like 'em. Just a bit pricey IMHO.

Jim

titanse05
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm about 45 minutes away from that shop and my shooting buddy just bought a DW Valor (black) from there last month. As nice as the new DW revolvers look, they just don't seem that special to command the asking price IMHO.

Zilmo
02-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Far out! My very first gun purchase was a DW revolver about 35 years ago.

Riverpigusmc
02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm sure they are quality revolvers, but that's more than I'm gonna spend on a wheelgun

Steve CT
02-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Yes, it is too much money,on the other hand, MSRP on a Taurus Tracker is $665. The real value in all of this is that they might just get back into the SuperMag business at some point in time. These come out of Norwich, NY, same as the 1911's.

Grizzman
02-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I handled one briefly a couple weeks ago. Considering what S&W is asking for theirs, a little over a grand for a DW sounds quite reasonable.

Grizz

dw1911
02-23-2012, 09:19 PM
I handled one briefly a couple weeks ago. Considering what S&W is asking for theirs, a little over a grand for a DW sounds quite reasonable.

Grizz

Hey Grizz, you handled one. What did you think Buddy? Pictures are one thing, handling one is another.
Your Honest Opinion of it?
I ask because I am seriously considering one!

Grizzman
02-23-2012, 11:46 PM
It was indeed nice. Without writing a review, I'd say that S&W is likely more than a little worried. I didn't evaluate deeply, as I wasn't seriously interested. It was a blem, but it wasn't identifiable.

A different cartridge would definitely increase my interest.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's not still there. I'll check it out.

Grizz

arentol
02-24-2012, 12:48 AM
I would love to get my hands on one of these with all 7 barrels. There is one such set on Gunbroker right now, but I can't afford the probably 3k it will take to meet the reserve right now.... Plus hopefully with these new ones coming out the full set will eventually be available in a new gun for less than that.

dw1911
02-24-2012, 08:37 AM
"It was indeed nice. Without writing a review, I'd say that S&W is likely more than a little worried. I didn't evaluate deeply, as I wasn't seriously interested. It was a blem, but it wasn't identifiable.

A different cartridge would definitely increase my interest.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's not still there. I'll check it out".

Yep, Like .44 Magnum! That would "Make My Day"! :)

Grizzman
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Or 454 Casull.

That would definitely get my attention.

Grizz

Big Smoke
03-08-2012, 06:11 PM
They look a lot like a Smith and ... oh yeah... Wesson. :D

Dave Waits
03-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Steve, They need to start building these again!
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/retmsgt123/IMG_0237.jpg

This my Monson M44-6HV. For all you doubters, fire a DW revolver if you dare. You will see the value. Most accurate Wheelguns ever built.

BTW Steve, mine has a 'Special' S/N( Check out the last four digits);

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/retmsgt123/IMG_0195.jpg
This one was taken before I cleaned it up(Had some scratches, you can see some on the Cylinder) and Hot-Blued it.

MajO
03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
They certainly look nice, but at 10 pounds, might make a better boat anchor or paperweight. :mob:

Dave Waits
03-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Major;
Sir, My M44, which is larger than a M15 or M715, only weighs 56 ounces or, 3.5 pounds. Not 10. Remember also that these aren't meant to be everyday carryguns, they're for hunting and long-range shooting. When I Deerhunt(Which I do with a handgun) I carry my DW in a crossdraw holster. After the first fifteen or twenty minutes I don't even notice it anymore. It's a lot easier and more comfortable to carry all day hunting than any shotgun or rifle.

MajO
03-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Major;
Sir, My M44, which is larger than a M15 or M715, only weighs 56 ounces or, 3.5 pounds. Not 10. Remember also that these aren't meant to be everyday carryguns, they're for hunting and long-range shooting. When I Deerhunt(Which I do with a handgun) I carry my DW in a crossdraw holster. After the first fifteen or twenty minutes I don't even notice it anymore. It's a lot easier and more comfortable to carry all day hunting than any shotgun or rifle.

Thanks, Dave.

The weight listed on Cove Creek's add says 10 pounds. Must be all that packing. :D

Dan Wesson Model 715 357 Mag Revolver
Price: $1,099.99 Brand:Dan Wesson
Shipping Weight: 10.00 LBS
SKU: 01932 Condition: New Shipping: Free Shipping

I have a Python and my wife has a S&W 686, so I know that revolvers can be heavy, but ten pounds seems like a bit much for a pistol and a plastic box.

Dave Waits
03-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks, Dave.

The weight listed on Cove Creek's add says 10 pounds. Must be all that packing. :D

Dan Wesson Model 715 357 Mag Revolver
Price: $1,099.99 Brand:Dan Wesson
Shipping Weight: 10.00 LBS
SKU: 01932 Condition: New Shipping: Free Shipping

I have a Python and my wife has a S&W 686, so I know that revolvers can be heavy, but ten pounds seems like a bit much for a pistol and a plastic box.

Okay, Sir that includes a Guncase, usually made of Aluminum, the wrench, a belt buckle, and a different pair of grips, all included.
Dave

MajO
03-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Okay, Sir that includes a Guncase, usually made of Aluminum, the wrench, a belt buckle, and a different pair of grips, all included.
Dave

OK. I stand corrected. Thanks, Dave. ;)