PDA

View Full Version : Hey Skosh69!

Dave Waits
04-18-2011, 04:06 PM
You still shoot Handgun Silhouette? Noticed your long-barrel 29 with the long-range sights. I used to shoot myself, don't have a Smith, I use this. 10.5" barrel, non-Fluted cylinder,44magnum Super Blackhawk. I managed to clean them all twice with it.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/retmsgt123/IMG_0010.jpg

Oh, the one in the foreground is my Blackhawk in 45Colt.

skosh69
04-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Very nice Dave! To tell you the truth, I had no idea what "silohette" was until I researched last night, hahaha. No, I just scored the gun from my big brother as a hand-me-down. He had it new since the early 80's and one conversation led to another and it ended up at my house just this last Sat.

He can't remember the last time he fired it. I last used it around 1988! I oiled the barrel, the swatches were clean and I'm planning a day at the range as a birthday present to myself on the 30th. I know I don't need a reason to go to the range, but I figure since it's my b-day, my CFO ( wifey ) will have some latitude and allow for some extra bullets, hahaha

Thanks for your interest Dave, I'll keep ya posted on it's performance. Which I'm sure will be better than mine!

Ellison

PS, I like the look of your grips, are they stock, comfortable?

Dave Waits
04-19-2011, 06:46 PM
The grips are Hogues. With the loads I use it's too painful to shoot with the standard wood peacemakers. I still shoot Silhouettes once in a while, mainly I hunt Deer and Wild boar with it now. I use a real heavy load of Lilgun(22.5 grains,it's a Ruger/Contender only load) with 200 grain Speer JHPs, averages 1575fps. With loads like this you need something to spread the recoil out.

I'm still jealous! That Smith is Sweet!

skosh69
04-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Thats's really cool Dave! I would love to hunt something with this beast. A guy over on the S&W forum site helped decode the serial # and it turns out it was one of the first 200 made during it's intital run in 1983. It's too bad my brother didn't keep all the original paperwork, box and other goodies. Oh well, it's a family keeper and I'll pass it down to my son or daughter, which ever one gets the bug!