PDA

View Full Version : Researching the LNL and 650

DaFadda
03-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Every year or so I start looking at the progressive presses and reading the written reviews. The Hornady people love their LNL, and the Dillon people love their 650's.

So, I start reading... "plastic tip shuts down 650. 5 cent part..." "Don't put a bullet feeder / case feeder on a Hornady"....... "The Dillon is smoother, but doesn't handle ball powder well".... and on and on and on... ad nauseum...

What I DID glean from this trip down the road was that the Dillon 650 is a superb pistol caliber machine, designed to make lots of rounds, with few caliber changes. The Hornady has tighter tolerances, cheaper to operate... and "MAY" not last as long, and /or "MAY" need more tinkering as it ages. BOTH machines seem to have quirks in their construction that can shut the machine down for maintainence and repairs.

So.... Once again, I'm just going to sit back and continue with my LEE 4 hole turret press, which can currently be purchased as a complete kit (without the dies of course) for $129 . I'm just going to continue loading in "batch mode" so that my primers don't jam (RCBS Hand priming tool), I can look in each shell in my loading trays (don't need a powder check die) and can switch to a new caliber in less than 30 seconds (and that includes looking for the right shell holder).

Maybe one day someone will make the PERFECT Progressive machine. But for now... I'll use the extra cash to buy more bullets and shoot more. Six months to a year from now... I'll still be having the same conversation in my head... and probably come to the same decision.

But... maybe not.

DaFadda

sdmc530
03-10-2017, 02:25 PM
If you or anyone needs any info on the famous "big blue" just ask. Love my Dillon and its a great machine. NO its not perfect it has its issues but its still a darn fine set up. Wouldn't change now for anything.

Only down size to any press like the 650 or the LNL is the upfront cost. My set up all done with case feeder and all the bells whistles is $1100.

pitor
03-10-2017, 02:43 PM
I want to get into reloading so bad but it's confusing and at times cost-prohibitive. I definitely want a progressive, Dillon 650 seems the right choice, but as Phil mentioned, $1,100 for the whole setup, yikes!

DaFadda
03-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the offer Phil! If I EVER go progressive, it will probably be a Dillon.

Pitor, You don't have to spend a lot to get into reloading. I'm not kidding... my Lee 4 hole turret press costs $129 for the entire kit, and is the one that I would recommend to anyone who is getting into the hobby. Why? #1, you may not enjoy reloading. Some do some don't. #2... it is incredibly important that you learn and understand the individual processes of reloading before you deal with a progressive press.

The best way to do that is on a single stage press. Most single stages have one threaded hole so you install and remove your dies based on the task you are doing. a. depriming and straigtening the case, b. flaring the case mouth, c. Priming, d. powder charging, e. bullet seating. The Lee 4 hole turret allows you to set up all three dies in one die turret, set their specifications, and then load in either auto index mode, or my preference... which is batch mode.

So you spend $130 or so... and you outgrow it in two years. Well... for me... and I do shoot a lot... I haven't outgrown mine in 5 years, and may never outgrow it. But if I do, I can sell it for what I can get, or I can leave it set up for rifle cartridges....

skosh69
03-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Nothing in this world is perfect! Anything is prone to failure, humans and mechanics alike.

I want to get into reloading so bad but it's confusing and at times cost-prohibitive. I definitely want a progressive, Dillon 650 seems the right choice, but as Phil mentioned, $1,100 for the whole setup, yikes!

Pedro, I dropped over $600 (I don't have the receipts) a complete RCBS Rock Chucker single stage reloading setup. I bought everything that one would need, the carbide dies, electronic scale, powder thrower w/stand (lucking I bought that one used from ColMike), etc. I went with the single stage because it was suggested that I get a single stage to begin with and that the cost of a Dillon set up freaked me out also.

In the beginning it was great. Woo hoo, making my own ammo, this is great. Saving money, ya buddy.

Guess what, years later that same set up sits idle and unused. I haven't used it in at least 2-3 yrs. Why? Because loading on a single stage sucks. It takes 5 separate steps to make 1 bullet. I timed it once, nearly an hour to make 100 rds from start to finish.

Now reloading is not about speed, but I'm a firm believer in working smart, not hard. And if you are shooting a lot or want to make a decent amount of ammo, a single stage is not the way to go.

That old saying "buy once, cry once" comes into play here.

You do not have to drop the whole $1100 on a Dillon set up at first. You buy the press, strong mount, tool head, dies, etc just to get you started. You can buy the case feeder, bullet feeder, roller handle, etc later. You can scour the forum sales areas for the press, parts and pieces also.

The padre's turret set up is similar to a single stage except there's no changing dies, they're all loaded on a turret, but you still do each step one by one. It works for him and my neighbor who has the same set up.
So my advice is to save your money and buy 1 press, 1 time. And since you are shooting IDPA and if you get into USPSA, you're going to want to reload with efficiency.

I've never heard ANYONE that bought a Dillon say, "damn I wish I would've saved money and bought a RCBS Rock Chucker". :facepalm2:

After my son's wedding late this year, that green iron lump of crap that's attached to my work bench will find a new home and a blue ammo making powerhouse will take it's place. Oh yes, I can't wait.

This is just my 0.02

sdmc530
03-10-2017, 05:06 PM
sorry, I should have been more clear. The basic 650 is around $600-650. Then you add:
Case feeder
feeder plate for different size cases
Strong mount
Roller handle
second die plate
bullet tray mount
extra primer tubes

you get the idea....you can use the basic step without dropping the extra $500 however you will want to after you get the basic set up....I did. now I can reload so dang fast is silly.

Started on a single stage Lee press that worked awesome but the speed was killing me. Took me all winter to load up my 45 alone, now a weekend and I am done.

sdmc530
03-10-2017, 05:08 PM
I've never heard ANYONE that bought a Dillon say, "damn I wish I would've saved money and bought a RCBS Rock Chucker". :facepalm2:

This is just my 0.02

THIS.....and one more thing their warranty is the BEST..no BS warranty to them is NO BS. No questions asked and the CS is so good.

pitor
03-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Thank you guys, and thank you Padre for trying to steer me into a cost-saving direction . But I know that I'll want efficiency over control of the process. Understanding reloading is not as complicated nowadays. You can watch a couple of YouTube videos and have a pretty good idea of everything involved and the steps. I want to be able to spend an hour reloading and have all my reloads done for the month. So a progressive reloading system is what I need. Hence I'll be saving my money and waiting for when the time is right for a Dillon Progressive. Is Dillon the only brand that makes Progressive reloading presses?

AFJuvat
03-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Another happy Lee Classic Turret Press user here.

No, it isn't the fastest, but it was inexpensive, and caliber changes cost about $50 for a new turret, shellholder, and dies.

Rick McC.
03-10-2017, 05:57 PM
I bought a Dillon RL 550 B over 20 years ago, and I'm still using it now.

Back then, I think it was a little under $300.00. Now, I think it's a little over $400.00.

I bought most of my die sets used, and none of them have worn out yet, either.

DrHenley
03-10-2017, 05:59 PM
For pistol, I'm still using my Lyman Spar-T 6-hole turret that I bought somewhere around 1971.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=888

skosh69
03-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Is Dillon the only brand that makes Progressive reloading presses?

No, just about everyone now offers a progressive, Hornady, RCBS, Lee.

Yes Pedro, save your money and wait, just like you did for your S/A 1911. You wanted a 1911, but you didn't just go out an buy whichever one you had the money for at the time. You waited and made an educated choice based on your needs.

Good luck.

pitor
03-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Thank you guys. I plan to reload only for 45 ACP, and possibly 9 millimeter. My only rifle is a Ruger 10/22 Takedown so no reloading there.

MajO
03-10-2017, 07:45 PM
:eek:I have read the above posts and in a sacrificing frame of mind I offer the following solution to the high coast of a progressive set up. :rolleyes:

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/10-body-parts-you-can-legally-sell-for-big-bucks/

Good luck and let the bidding begin.

Grizzman
03-10-2017, 08:04 PM
I bought a Rock Chucker about 18 years ago, and it still works well. It seems I'm always doing load development, so I use the Rock Chucker to load the 20 or 25 round batches. For this purpose, speed doesn't matter.

I upgraded to a RL550 a few years ago, and my ammo doesn't seem to be any better than it is from the RCBS....it just takes a LOT less time.

People complain about having to manually index the 550, but it allows me to easily use it in the same manner as a turret press.

I've had absolutely no desire to upgrade to a 650.

pitor
03-10-2017, 08:09 PM
After doing some very quick research, I was watching videos of the Lee turret press that has Auto indexing. It seems like a very nice beginner set-up, the kit comes with a lot of goodies necessary to reload, and only a set of appropriate dies will be needed to get started. About 250 rds per hour once familiar with it. Of course I need a tumbler and other tools are not part of the press kit but that's fine. What you all think?

sdmc530
03-10-2017, 08:18 PM
I was tempted to get the 550 but thought the manual index would have sucked.

Remember, what ever you buy will probably last decades so if you are going to go high end do your research. Like already stated Dr. got his in 1971, that has paid for itself how many times?!!

That is why I went all out because I will have it forever and didn't want to repeat the process.

sdmc530
03-10-2017, 08:23 PM
After doing some very quick research, I was watching videos of the Lee turret press that has Auto indexing. It seems like a very nice beginner set-up, the kit comes with a lot of goodies necessary to reload, and only a set of appropriate dies will be needed to get started. About 250 rds per hour once familiar with it. Of course I need a tumbler and other tools are not part of the press kit but that's fine. What you all think?

That sounds good really. 250 per hour is good. Does that including checking powder on every 50-100 rounds?

Just for comparison:

On my 650 I can do about 500-600 rounds an hour with all the refilling stuff in the middle (primers, powder). I check powder ever 100 rounds. I used to check more often but the Dillon dispenser is super good and I don't load to max on the 45 so I have wiggle room. I have never had an issue with the powder getting out of whack on my loads.

On the 10mm I check every 50 because I make them hotter. But I only load about 20% as much at my 45.

pitor
03-10-2017, 08:28 PM
That sounds good really. 250 per hour is good. Does that including checking powder on every 50-100 rounds?

Just for comparison:

On my 650 I can do about 500-600 rounds an hour with all the refilling stuff in the middle (primers, powder). I check powder ever 100 rounds. I used to check more often but the Dillon dispenser is super good and I don't load to max on the 45 so I have wiggle room. I have never had an issue with the powder getting out of whack on my loads.

On the 10mm I check every 50 because I make them hotter. But I only load about 20% as much at my 45.
I'm going to be very honest Phil, I have no clue what "checking powder" means. LOL. I'm very new to reloading and have a very basic understanding of the steps involved and the language used. That's why I'm not jumping into reloading right now, I'll do my homework research and get acquainted with the tools and the language and the different options before committing to any setup.

pitor
03-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Okay, I watched some more videos and I know what checking powder means. My understanding is you put powder into a primed case and then dump the powder out into a scale to make sure that you have a consistent measurement. You do this about 5 to 10 times and measure the grains. If there is consistency in the measurements you proceeded to load, or continue loading . Am I correct?

sdmc530
03-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Okay, I watched some more videos and I know what checking powder means. My understanding is you put powder into a primed case and then dump the powder out into a scale to make sure that you have a consistent measurement. You do this about 5 to 10 times and measure the grains. If there is consistency in the measurements you proceeded to load, or continue loading . Am I correct?

Correct.

Everyone does a different number based on experience and faith in the system. for 45 I am 1 per 100 round checker. Depending on the type of scale you use you just put on measure tray to make sure its in check.
I started with a beam scale and it was slower, but more accurate but drove me kind of crazy waiting for the balancing act. So I purchased a really nice digital scale.

When I am loading I just pull a case off the plate every 100ish check the weight. If its good pour the powder back in put it back on the plate and carry on. If its off I check the next few and maybe have to adjust. Don't have to tweak very often I am lucky mine is so good.

Example: You are loading 45acp 230gr....you are using Win231 (great for target rounds) You are set for 5gr. You measure a load and its 4.9...your good. You measure a round at 5.1 your good, I like to stay within .2 of my desired set gr. But you could be a bit looser for target loads.
If you are loading HOT with same round I think the max is someplace around 5.8-6.0 depending on what book you read then you might have a tighter tolerance for play. maybe .1ish. I hope you get the idea.

You will love reloading!

Riverpigusmc
03-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Thank you guys. I plan to reload only for 45 ACP, and possibly 9 millimeter. My only rifle is a Ruger 10/22 Takedown so no reloading there.

Then look at the Dillon Square Deal. Perfect for pistol. Only downside is you have to use the special dies

pitor
03-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Is the factory crimp die a must?

Riverpigusmc
03-10-2017, 09:50 PM

No. I use it on my Lee 4 hole turret, but I seat and crimp in separate steps

sdmc530
03-10-2017, 10:06 PM

for straight walled cartridges no, but its a good idea. I do crimp...I would bet most guys do?

But not necessary although some guys might not agree with that opinion.

sdmc530
03-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Then look at the Dillon Square Deal. Perfect for pistol. Only downside is you have to use the special dies

Yep, the only downside. This was the last factor on me passing on this one and going up to the 650. Dillon dies are really nice too,but the SD dies are not usable in anything else, but all other dies work in most every press out there with the 7/8"set.

AFJuvat
03-10-2017, 10:58 PM

The only suggestion I would make, and this is purely my opinion, is to invest in a decent digital scale. Frankford Arsenal makes a decent one for about $70 that is very accurate and has a quick response time.

pitor
03-10-2017, 11:09 PM
The only suggestion I would make, and this is purely my opinion, is to invest in a decent digital scale. Frankford Arsenal makes a decent one for about $70 that is very accurate and has a quick response time.
Thanks Mike [emoji106]

Horse'nround
03-10-2017, 11:35 PM
OOoo, Oooo! I've got 2 cents!

So here goes... I have an RCBS Rock Chucker and a Dillon RL550B and love them both. I retired my old Pacific Precision a few years back due to enough post wear to cause repeated decapping pin breakage. Oh yeah and a MEC 650 for shotgun 12GA.

The RCBS does the long stuff and high accuracy rounds. The 550 does all the handgun (9mm, 38/357, 45acp) and 556. Has it been flawless no, but dillon service ABSOLUTELY. I bought it used and had some issues with it. I called Dillon service and they talked through troubleshooting. I ended up needing a couple of small parts totaling maybe $20-$25 bucks. A shoe cup, spring arm pin little crap and yes the nasty little plastic primer boot. While troubleshooting I broke the primer catch cup. In my parts shipment was a new catch cup and 2 sets of primer boots and a complete tune up kit for free.nanner
The tech said Dillon feels that they make the finest reloading systems on the market. That being said, they are mechanical devices. If your service and customer support doesn't match your product then what good are you. Something to think about.
I've been eyeing the 650 for a while now, I ran into these guys in Reno a few years back. Haven't been able to beat their prices yet.

http://www.scheels.com/shop/scheels-catalog/reloading#facet:-100268105108108111110&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:5&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&pageTop:0&

To be honest I have heard good and bad about all of them, in the end ya gotta find what works for you.:D

skosh69
03-11-2017, 12:40 AM
:eek:I have read the above posts and in a sacrificing frame of mind I offer the following solution to the high coast of a progressive set up. :rolleyes:

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/10-body-parts-you-can-legally-sell-for-big-bucks/

Good luck and let the bidding begin.

funny funny funny

Thanks to Grizz and Chris, they made excellent points about the advantages of a single stage press for long cartridges (rifle) and or accuracy. They are perfect for just that.

Lonestar grips.
03-11-2017, 01:19 PM
I have my dad's square deal B. for years it had been sitting in an old truck getting sun baked and slightly rusty. I called Dillon and they said send it in. they completely re-built it for me and didn't charge me a dime. when it comes to progressive reloaders they will always get my business.

as others have said the only bad thing about the square deal is it takes it's own kind of dies. but if you only want to reload pistol calibers and only have a few calibers to reload for then the square deal is hard to beat. I have 45acp and 44 mag/spl dies for mine and over time I plan on getting 38super, 357mag/38spl, 45 colt and 32H&R dies for it.

as for rifles I have 4 or 5 single stage presses. if you have the room for it you can set several of these up and use a different die for each press. that makes things a little quicker.

DaFadda
03-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Hard to believe that such a benign post has generated four pages of discussion. Let me add.... Whatever platform you choose...single stage, turret or progressive Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Forsner, Redding... you will invest in that platform. The longer you own that platform, and build upon it, the more invested you are in THAT platform.

IF IF IF... the PERFECT progressive press was invented... there are likely a bunch of Dillon, Hornady or RCBS owners that would choose not to buy, but only because they are so heavily invested in the product they own. And that investment is both financial and emotional. Read threads on reloading and people are flat out "passionate" about their reloaders.

pitor
03-11-2017, 03:34 PM
It has undoubtedly been a very enlightening thread. I appreciate all the education and advise. In the meantime I'll keep researching and learning more and more about reloading. I'm collecting all the 45 ACP brass I can find and getting ready. I gotta be honest the more YouTube videos I watch about reloading the more the Lee turret makes sense to what I'm trying to reload.

One last question for Padre. You said you like to use your Lee turret in batch mode. What does that mean exactly?

DaFadda
03-11-2017, 07:21 PM
When I have enough... 500 or so... .45acp.... I spend an hour or so depriming and straigtening the cases. That's batch one. A night or so later, while watching tv, I hand prime those 500 cases using a RCBS hand primer. I don't like the desktop primer thingy they sell. A couple nights later, when I have some free time.... I spend an evening sitting in front of the tv, or talking to my Mrs.... while I prime. All of these are "batch" exercises. Then I spend an hour flaring the cases.... and put them in a plastic coffee can ... ready to powder charge and finish. Each process is a "batch"... The logical stopping point is once they have been flared and primed. Currently I have about 1000 in that condition. When I am going shooting, I'll take 100-200 and powder charge and seat bullets. That final process will take about a half hour or so. And I'm off to the range.

Rick McC.
03-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Do yourself a BIG favor; save a little more, and wait for a 550 instead of anything Lee makes. As you gain more experience; you'll be glad you did.

I visually check the headstamp on every case (for caliber and to ensure it isn't Berdan primed), and visually check the powder level in each case as it's moved from station two to station three, and still manage to load 100 rounds every 20 minutes.

My 550 is "stock;" no case or bullet feeders.

I keep a swaging die set up in my Rockchucker for when I run across military brass in my range pick up stuff.

skosh69
03-11-2017, 09:30 PM
When I have enough... 500 or so... .45acp.... I spend an hour or so depriming and straigtening the cases. That's batch one. A night or so later, while watching tv, I hand prime those 500 cases using a RCBS hand primer. I don't like the desktop primer thingy they sell. A couple nights later, when I have some free time.... I spend an evening sitting in front of the tv, or talking to my Mrs.... while I prime. All of these are "batch" exercises. Then I spend an hour flaring the cases.... and put them in a plastic coffee can ... ready to powder charge and finish. Each process is a "batch"... The logical stopping point is once they have been flared and primed. Currently I have about 1000 in that condition. When I am going shooting, I'll take 100-200 and powder charge and seat bullets. That final process will take about a half hour or so. And I'm off to the range.

See, that was my point in my earlier post. Working on a single stage or a turret, you have to do EVERYTHING manually, 1 step at a time. HOURS, HOURS I say.

Where as with a progressive, 1 pull, 1 bullet. Instead of hours to complete a simple task, it's done in minutes.

Call it the youngster in me, but I just don't have the time nor the patience to do it that way. That's why I'm all for a progressive.

Now if I were making small test batches or going for accuracy, yes, a single stage is what I would want to use.

Riverpigusmc
03-11-2017, 09:34 PM

I'll argue that a little bit. I have that scale, and while nice, I don't set my powder thrower with it. I have an RCBS 502 I got from the Colonel, a set of Lyman check weights, and the digital scale. I set up the 502, check it with the check weights, set the Little Dandy with that, check the digital scale with the check weights to make sure it coincides with the beam, then use the digital to spot check every so many rounds. Always trust gravity over electronics

Lonestar grips.
03-11-2017, 09:37 PM
yeah I wouldn't trust a electric scale.

DaFadda
03-12-2017, 10:06 AM
Do yourself a BIG favor; save a little more, and wait for a 550 instead of anything Lee makes. As you gain more experience; you'll be glad you did.

I visually check the headstamp on every case (for caliber and to ensure it isn't Berdan primed), and visually check the powder level in each case as it's moved from station two to station three, and still manage to load 100 rounds every 20 minutes.

My 550 is "stock;" no case or bullet feeders.

I keep a swaging die set up in my Rockchucker for when I run across military brass in my range pick up stuff.

As I have said, everyone has their preference and is passionate about what they use. And RickMc is surely correct in that you will like the 550. I would too. But I'll still stand by my contention that someone who has never reloaded before is better served by using a single stage or turret press to learn on, especially if they are learning the process on their own. In his last line, Rick mentions that he uses his Rockchucker for swaging. I'm not a betting man, but if I were... the Rockchucker was probably his first press.

Time doesn't mean much to me any longer. Being retired is good.

DaFadda

skosh69
03-12-2017, 10:17 AM
''Tis the beauty of choice...... make the right one that eorks for you Pedro.

Slow and time consuming or quick and productive.

I listened to the old timers and my press now sits idle, no more money or time gets put into it, at all.

DaFadda
03-12-2017, 10:17 AM
In my original post, I said I go through this LNL vs. Big Blue once a year or so... This, from 2016

http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10842&highlight=squib

The thread includes a very good commentary by Phil and others. I'm still not convinced that an extra $1000 is worth either the LNL or the Dillons. Phil, next time I come through SD, I'll buy dinner, and you can show me your reloading setup. That may change my mind!

But I promise, you'll enjoy the read.

DaFadda

sdmc530
03-12-2017, 01:43 PM
In my original post, I said I go through this LNL vs. Big Blue once a year or so... This, from 2016

http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10842&highlight=squib

The thread includes a very good commentary by Phil and others. I'm still not convinced that an extra $1000 is worth either the LNL or the Dillons. Phil, next time I come through SD, I'll buy dinner, and you can show me your reloading setup. That may change my mind!

But I promise, you'll enjoy the read.

DaFadda

Deal buddy!!

Actually all this reloading talk has me missing making boolits so I may run some 45 tomorrow and gopro the process.

pitor
03-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Deal buddy!!

Actually all this reloading talk has me missing making boolits so I may run some 45 tomorrow and gopro the process.
Yes please do so, upload and post link, Pleeeease?

sdmc530
03-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Yes please do so, upload and post link, Pleeeease?

Will see how my week goes:

I have to get a new chain ring on my bicycle, hit the gym, and I am classroom helper this week for Kaden's Kindergarten class. Lisa is at Mayo Clinic with her brother so I will see what I can do.

NAMVET72
03-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Yes Phil we know you have Big Bucks,

Unless you have lots of brass and money just get a single stage to start with, get two or three reloading manuals, read and read again. Then take it slow, do one at a time, measure every single load.....Good luck
Clyde

Gatorade
03-12-2017, 11:33 PM
I am still getting unpacked from vacation but one point I will make is that i have too much OCD to deprime and then load. I have seen some nasty junk in primer pockets and just jamming another primer in there before the pocket gets cleaned doesn't seem like a good practice. So I run the brass through the cleaner, deprive and resize. Then run it through the polish media. Then I can either bag it and pick up later or hand prime and flare. Charging and seating are pretty easy steps after that.

Rick McC.
03-12-2017, 11:47 PM
As I have said, everyone has their preference and is passionate about what they use. And RickMc is surely correct in that you will like the 550. I would too. But I'll still stand by my contention that someone who has never reloaded before is better served by using a single stage or turret press to learn on, especially if they are learning the process on their own. In his last line, Rick mentions that he uses his Rockchucker for swaging. I'm not a betting man, but if I were... the Rockchucker was probably his first press.

Time doesn't mean much to me any longer. Being retired is good.

DaFadda

Actually, my first few "presses" were the Lee $9.99 kits, where you supplied your own wood block and hammer. I had a few back in the early '70's.

That Rockchucker was quite a step up!

That said, I used it for only a few months before I bought the Dillon.

DaFadda
06-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Thank you guys, and thank you Padre for trying to steer me into a cost-saving direction . But I know that I'll want efficiency over control of the process. Understanding reloading is not as complicated nowadays. You can watch a couple of YouTube videos and have a pretty good idea of everything involved and the steps. I want to be able to spend an hour reloading and have all my reloads done for the month. So a progressive reloading system is what I need. Hence I'll be saving my money and waiting for when the time is right for a Dillon Progressive. Is Dillon the only brand that makes Progressive reloading presses?

No, Hornady, Lee, and RCBS also make progressive presses. Attached is a very well written article that outlines the pros and cons of Hornady, Lee and Dillon. Might help in your final selection.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

pitor
06-12-2017, 01:57 PM
No, Hornady, Lee, and RCBS also make progressive presses. Attached is a very well written article that outlines the pros and cons of Hornady, Lee and Dillon. Might help in your final selection.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf
Padre, I'm dead set on a Lee turret press. It fits my reloading needs perfectly.

TLE2
06-12-2017, 02:40 PM
My only 1 cent is that unless you shoot A LOT! (5-10,000?) rounds a month, it doesn't make sense (to me). You are relying on your attention for detail.

I tried it, froze, and never finished one round, sold the whole lot.

I have an Ammo Can full of commercial ammo. I'm fine. :)

sdmc530
06-12-2017, 04:36 PM
My only 1 cent is that unless you shoot A LOT! (5-10,000?) rounds a month, it doesn't make sense (to me). You are relying on your attention for detail.

I tried it, froze, and never finished one round, sold the whole lot.

I have an Ammo Can full of commercial ammo. I'm fine. :)

Yep, I get that^^^and there is nothing with buying all your ammo, nothing wrong at all but saying its not worth it isn't completely true.

I shoot about 5-6K of .45 per year give or take. If you do the math on that alone you save enough to make it worth it.

Buying 45 230gr at a local store you pay someplace in the .40 cents range give or take a few cents. When I reload it costs me in the range of .18 cents assuming I didn't buy any new brass ( I never do ). So you save .22 cents(ish) per round fired. Now take that 5,000*$0.22=$1,100. I don't think I save quite this much but you get the idea. It is defiantly worth it. (to me) Now time, I can load about 2,000 rounds a session per day without getting really bored but in a wintery weekend I will do the 5K rounds I shoot in a year and be set. Now when you factor in the 10MM I also load and some other odd stuff for my FIL and stuff for myself its so worth the investment (to me).

I have a Dillon press, the higher end priced press. If you go a bit more conservative and nothing wrong with that at all and spend 30-40% less for your reloading set up you can make your saving pay off in one year. A press lasts decades so the savings is there.

I will say this, I never used to shoot thousands of rounds a year either, I simply couldn't afford it, reloading I can not afford it. I was shooting 1/5 of what I do now before a press, now I can shoot when ever how much I want and not worry so much about the ammo budget.

sorry this got long but reloading is worth the effort and investment.....

carry on

sdmc530
06-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Padre, I'm dead set on a Lee turret press. It fits my reloading needs perfectly.

and it will serve you very well. I started on a Lee single stage and it was great. Just my needs made it difficult to use a single stage. I think Lee stuff is very nice. If I had gotten a Lee turret press to start with I might have kept it and not gone blue.....maybe...

DaFadda
06-12-2017, 04:58 PM
To paraphrase Phil's comments.... reloading doesn't save you money, it only allows you to shoot more with the money you have.

DaFadda

pitor
06-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate all the info and encouragement.

sdmc530
06-12-2017, 05:31 PM
To paraphrase Phil's comments.... reloading doesn't save you money, it only allows you to shoot more with the money you have.

DaFadda

I said that? :D

yeah, that is what I was getting at