PDA

View Full Version : Best first reloading manual/handbook?

pitor
03-11-2017, 04:29 PM
In my quest for reloading knowledge I'm looking to buy my first reloading handbook / manual.

The mischievious monkey suggested I start a thread to ask for input and advice from the fine members in here. Thank you in advance for all the help.

AFJuvat
03-11-2017, 04:34 PM
The Lyman manual is the best all around manual IMO.

sdmc530
03-11-2017, 04:38 PM
well this a very good question that will give you many answers!

Here are some more popular manuals in no particular order:
1. Hornady
2. Sierra
3. Speer
4. Lyman 49
5. Barnes

I also use loaddata.com as well

When you get them dialed in you can then use a chronograph and get speeds and really dial them in. That is where some real fun starts!

You will get more ideas but the Lyman manual is a really good one for a start.

pitor
03-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Thanks, so far these suggestions are on par with what some "Internet experts" suggest as the 5 best reloading handbooks. I'll start with the hornady since they're running a special on Amazon, $13.99

ETA: I cancelled the order because I found the Lyman for $21 on Amazon as well. I'll start with the Lyman, seems to have raving reviews

TLE2
03-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Are you looking for a "how to" or just reloading data?

pitor
03-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Are you looking for a "how to" or just reloading data?
Good question. Both

AFJuvat
03-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Good question. Both

In that case, I am doubling down with the Lyman manual.

A couple of hints about reloading manuals.

The ones put out by reloading companies feature their equipment, but bullets and powders from several manufacturers.

Those put out by bullet companies only feature their bullets

Those put out by powder companies only use their powders.

skosh69
03-11-2017, 08:04 PM
In that case, I am doubling down with the Lyman manual.

A couple of hints about reloading manuals.

The ones put out by reloading companies feature their equipment, but bullets and powders from several manufacturers.

Those put out by bullet companies only feature their bullets

Those put out by powder companies only use their powders.

That's pretty much what I said in my text to you.

For $14, that Hornady 9th edition would be a good starting point. Get it, read it and if you don't like it, Amazon has a great return policy.

sdmc530
03-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Or be dishonest and copy the pages for your cartridges and send it back. Don't ask

DaFadda
03-11-2017, 08:18 PM
The Mischievous monkey should have told you to ask for a free copy of our favorite reloading manual. Hmmmm... Ask... and you may receive.

skosh69
03-11-2017, 09:07 PM
The Mischievous monkey should have told you to ask for a free copy of our favorite reloading manual. Hmmmm... Ask... and you may receive.

I didn't know we had one? I want one. Puuuuuhhhhleeeeeeasssssse. nanner

pitor
03-11-2017, 10:19 PM
Then I'm politely asking, may I have a copy? :grin
I didn't know we had one? I want one. Puuuuuhhhhleeeeeeasssssse. nanner
Get in line monkey!

skosh69
03-11-2017, 10:24 PM
Get in line monkey!

The monkey does not wait beyond anyone.......:cool:

DaFadda
03-12-2017, 09:57 AM
The monkey does not wait beyond anyone.......:cool:

And I'm pretty sure that no one wants the monkey behind them..... just sayin'

sdmc530
03-12-2017, 01:52 PM
sent you a PM Pitor

pitor
03-12-2017, 06:58 PM
sent you a PM Pitor
Thanks, I truly appreciate all the help and guidance. You guys are golden, a true class act. I wish we were all a bit closer to each other... kumbaya and a group hug anyone?

sdmc530
03-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Thanks, I truly appreciate all the help and guidance. You guys are golden, a true class act. I wish we were all a bit closer to each other... kumbaya and a group hug anyone?

glad I can help out.

Heck yeah, I will give a hug to anyone. Well except Ben Rothlesburger fans :eek:

DrHenley
03-12-2017, 09:10 PM
kumbaya and a group hug anyone?

https://img.clipartfest.com/76a0c52baaa15d2b5c193b290a87a3c3_group-hug-clipart-group-hug_553-415.jpeg

Rick McC.
03-12-2017, 11:50 PM
Yes, the Lyman is a great resource!

AFJuvat
03-13-2017, 05:48 AM
Give me a shout if you get up to Jax, I can give you a walk through on reloading and have you bang some out on my press.

pitor
03-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Give me a shout if you get up to Jax, I can give you a walk through on reloading and have you bang some out on my press.
Excelente idea, I may be heading that way in the near future since my wife needs to have her checkup up at the proton therapy center.

AFJuvat
03-13-2017, 07:42 AM
Excelente idea, I may be heading that way in the near future since my wife needs to have her checkup up at the proton therapy center.

Kust let me know, I'll try to get my hands on some Kunstmann and maybe some Pisco. :D

Horse'nround
03-13-2017, 10:22 AM
The Lyman manual is the best all around manual IMO.

DITTO,

Been using the Lyman book for decades. They have always appeared to be impartial to Mfg's slant and post a pretty broad spread of powders and projectiles. I've always found more than enough info to establish or extrapolate a good starting point and safe load limits.

Gatorade
03-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Da Fadda, please hear my confession. I own no reloading manuals. I learned by reading instructions that came with each set of dies and a couple single caliber load phamplets. Later I found info online and load data from magazines. A few issues of Reloader but no manuals. No thick bound books. Once I emailed a powder manufacturer. Almost any load data I need has been found online. I load for over a dozen different calibers and only very early with .300 BLK and .41 SPC have I not found what I needed within a few online searches.

Every time I think about buying a manual I look at the thousands of loads I will never use. I could go through a whole manual and need maybe 15-20 pages of it and even then all the same info is online.

Call me a sinner but I just don't see the need for thick dusty manuals. Unless there is the loss of the internet and even then I have notes about all my load data. I think I'm good.

sdmc530
03-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Wow you're a sinner for sure. I think purchasing a manual is a good buy or two but I don't agree with buying a newer version every few years. Data rarely changes and powder companies know this. But pump out a new versions they will make lots of money on old info. They might tweak numbers to create the illusion of updates but its a ploy I believe. Online is a great source if you use trusted places. But at least have one manual

AFJuvat
03-14-2017, 08:22 AM
Wow you're a sinner for sure. I think purchasing a manual is a good buy or two but I don't agree with buying a newer version every few years. Data rarely changes and powder companies know this. But pump out a new versions they will make lots of money on old info. They might tweak numbers to create the illusion of updates but its a ploy I believe. Online is a great source if you use trusted places. But at least have one manual

I agree.

I got the Lyman 49 when I first started reloading again, mainly for the diversity of load data, plus it has one of the best "how to reload" sections.

I picked up the Hornady 9th edition because it had some load data that the Lyman didn't have.

Since I generally stick to Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester powders, I get the annual Hodgdon magazine for $6.00.

coatessey
03-17-2017, 06:09 AM
If you are looking for load data for pistols there is the reloading guide for pistols on Amazon. I picked one up for $14. It has 554 loads for 45 acp, 92 loads for 45 +p, 564 loads for 9mm luger, 125 loads for 9mm luger +p.

DaFadda
03-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Da Fadda, please hear my confession. I own no reloading manuals. I learned by reading instructions that came with each set of dies and a couple single caliber load phamplets. Later I found info online and load data from magazines. A few issues of Reloader but no manuals. No thick bound books. Once I emailed a powder manufacturer. Almost any load data I need has been found online. I load for over a dozen different calibers and only very early with .300 BLK and .41 SPC have I not found what I needed within a few online searches.

Every time I think about buying a manual I look at the thousands of loads I will never use. I could go through a whole manual and need maybe 15-20 pages of it and even then all the same info is online.

Call me a sinner but I just don't see the need for thick dusty manuals. Unless there is the loss of the internet and even then I have notes about all my load data. I think I'm good.

Wow... I've heard confessions before, (try sitting in an Airport terminal for two or three hours while wearing a collar and suit, I only did it once. Won't ever do it again. There are a whole bunch of men and women cheating on each other out there in the real world!) but I have never had to absolve someone of the sin of not owning a reloading manual.

I have the one that came with my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit (Speer #14). It has served me well. I can certainly attest to the fact that I don't need the other 400 or so pages, but hey... I got it as part of the kit.

But we're not here to talk about me. You have asked for confession/absolution, so before I give absolution, there must be penance. For your penance, I require that you write a short note on this thread singing the praises of Ellison. Doesn't have to be long, but it should be heartfelt.

Good luck!
DaFadda Michael

sdmc530
03-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Dillon also has an app with a "good" data collection.

Gatorade
03-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Oh Ellison is solid gold in my book. He has a funny since of humor that I share most of the time but above and beyond that he is a stand up husband and father. He served our country with honor and his son has followed in his footsteps. El is good people fighting the good fight in beautiful but nutty Cali.

DaFadda
03-17-2017, 09:59 AM
Oh Ellison is solid gold in my book. He has a funny since of humor that I share most of the time but above and beyond that he is a stand up husband and father. He served our country with honor and his son has followed in his footsteps. El is good people fighting the good fight in beautiful but nutty Cali.

In retrospect.... I should have required a poem. However, you have been absolved of the sin of not owning a reloading book. Go, and sin no more!

DaFadda

sdmc530
03-17-2017, 11:11 AM

Not to thread jack this but this statement couldn't be more true. AND we have many amazing people who are just as "classy" on here, this class of people on COTEP is a full house!!

sense.....btw since you couldn't spell sense correctly! LOL funny (just had to jab you)

Gatorade
03-17-2017, 02:45 PM
In retrospect.... I should have required a poem. However, you have been absolved of the sin of not owning a reloading book. Go, and sin no more!

DaFadda

Oh a poem, like a limerick for St. Pat!

There once was a Chimp from Cali
He had a....

Never mind.

DaFadda
03-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Not to thread jack this but this statement couldn't be more true. AND we have many amazing people who are just as "classy" on here, this class of people on COTEP is a full house!!

sense.....btw since you couldn't spell sense correctly! LOL funny (just had to jab you)

I have to echo what Phil just said. We have some of the greatest people who are members here. Hearts of gold. Yes, even Ellison!
Michael

pitor
03-17-2017, 04:12 PM

This is true. Poo-flinging monkey is solid gold in my book, a good friend, and a great COTEPIAN! So are the rest of you, this place rocks!