PDA

View Full Version : New Springfield Range Officer

Big Smoke
02-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Took my new Range Officer to the range last Saturday. Mind you, I haven't fired a 1911 in 10 years, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I went to my reloading garage and found some old reloads I had from the past, and brought them out. I Still had a box of "new" Winchester 230gr. FMJ, so I shot that first.
At 20 yards, all 50 shots were on target. I never sighted in the sights, and shot standing, two handed. So I was very impressed. Not a single misfire, misfeed, or failure at all.
Then I started in on the reloads. 200gr. SWC's with 4.3gr. of Clays. It started great, but then I had a failure to feed. It was so close, I didn't even notice it until it didn't fire. Double checked my grip, all the safeties were off, grip safety was depressed, so I couldn't figure it out. Then I looked a little closer and the bolt wasn't close all the way. Only a few thousandths off, but it wasn't locked. So I dropped the magazine, forced the slide open, ejected the round, put the magazine back in and started again. Next several rounds were great. But by then, I didn't want to take a chance on it happening again, so I packed up and left. I KNOW it wasn't the guns fault. The reloads were a little light, as I used to shoot them through my old Gold Cup with a lighter recoil spring.
So came home and changed out the recoil spring for the lighter one I used to use, and am headed back to the range the Saturday, weather permitting. I want to use up the rest of these reloads because they are old, and I want to start a new batch. I think this time, I'm going to use some 200gr. Lead Round Nose Flat points and see how they work. Same bullets I use in my .45 colt SAA's. I just want to see how they shoot, and then I'll probably order some 230gr. lead round nose. I'll probably use some ww231 or Bullseye on that batch.
So here's to a good day at the range! nanner