PDA

View Full Version : 38 spl reload ?

Arley
05-03-2017, 10:05 AM
OK finally got some bullets X-treme bullets . Never loades up ant 38 spl before . Reloading on a Dillon 550 Book says 3.3 grains with 125 gr. JHP .

Thro a case and look inside the case , only about a 4th of the case filled with Bullseye powder . Weighs at 3.3 gr.

So with 2 3rds empty of powder even with the bullet seated ? Seems a lot of space with air only

Can this be right :confused: :confused: :o :o :( :(

Arley

AFJuvat
05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
I just looked on the Alliant website, and it shows 4.5 grains of Bullseye for a 125gr Speer GDHP

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=125&shellid=26&bulletid=28

RKP
05-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Lyman 49th edition says:
38 Special
125 gr. Jacketed HP
1.470” OAL

Bullseye powder:
------------------------
Suggested Starting Grains = 3.2
Velocity fps = 568
Pressure C.U.P. = 10,200
---------------------------------------
Max Load Grains = 4.4
Velocity fps = 860
Pressure C.U.P. = 16,500
---------------------------------------

sdmc530
05-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Yeah its crazy all that space. 10mm has a lot or empty space too.

BUT nobody's rounds has as much empty dpace as Ellison do funny

Arley
05-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Thanks for your info. Guess it is right . Just never saw so much dead air , other than my Ex .

Gatorade
05-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Just be careful of double charges. Maybe look for a powder that fills the case better? Trailboss is pretty good at filling up a case.

I have never used fillers but have heard they can be useful in these situations.

sdmc530
05-03-2017, 06:57 PM
I have never used fillers but have heard they can be useful in these situations.

I will not use fillers. I have read that people using:
Corn meal, cream of wheat, kapok, Dacron pillow filling, paper wads, saw dust. I have looked into this and don't think its a great idea.

Here is my concern or issues:

1. Moisture, if you use something that attracts or holds moisture you in for issues without even getting to shoot the load.

2. Compaction, if you use a material that might compact the powder and say it does get some condensation and it compacts or hardens now you have a "plug" between the powder and the projectile and might have a possible pressure issue or even a catastrophic failure?

I don't know if there has been any definitive studies on this buy anybody but my opinion on this would be its not worth the trouble. I would say use a powder that has more mass or just do what you should do every time you load bullets no matter what powder you use...pay attention?!

Just my very humble opinion.

DrHenley
05-04-2017, 12:05 AM
Don't know about other fillers, but cream of wheat is a tried and true filler that has been used for a long time.

You don't want to compress it much, but you do have to compress it slightly to keep it from mixing with the powder.

Yes, it will get compacted. I know because I had to dig some out of cases that I pulled down. But even compacted, as long as it is dry, it turns into a fine powder when fired...wheat flour I guess...

Moisture could be a problem. I don't leave cases filled with cream of wheat sitting around a long time. And my ammo crates have desiccant.

I even use it with Trail Boss in some "bunny fart" loads.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=888