PDA

View Full Version : I need

NAMVET72
07-23-2017, 03:16 PM
Some input about muzzle brakes for Long Range Shooting with pics please. My fiancée bought me a TC Compass 204 Ruger, will post pics when I get the optics and get rid of the Tupperware stock.

It has a standard threaded barrel and guarantees 1" MOA at 100 yds.

Clyde

sdmc530
07-23-2017, 03:25 PM
sorry I am not any help on this matter...

Caleb
07-23-2017, 03:57 PM
What are you trying to accomplish? There's a reason why I ask, not being a smartass this time.

NAMVET72
07-23-2017, 04:49 PM
What are you trying to accomplish? There's a reason why I ask, not being a smartass this time.

Which is Freaking Remarkable. Have used them on ARs but never bolt action rifle, from what I heard it helps with accuracy for LD shooting,

Clyde

Lonestar grips.
07-23-2017, 05:55 PM
I thought muzzle brakes helped reduce recoil. something that is handy if you're shooing something like a .338 Lapua or 50bmg but I would think pointless for a soft kicking .204.

I believe they also make the rifle louder.

Caleb
07-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Which is Freaking Remarkable. Have used them on ARs but never bolt action rifle, from what I heard it helps with accuracy for LD shooting,

Clyde

I thought muzzle brakes helped reduce recoil. something that is handy if you're shooing something like a .338 Lapua or 50bmg but I would think pointless for a soft kicking .204.

I believe they also make the rifle louder.

This is why I asked. But, they can give you a little more accuracy if you have the right one on there. Which one....I don't know? My precision bolt gun is not threaded.

Clyde... what is the thread and pitch of your barrel?

pony up
07-23-2017, 09:59 PM
I am tech stupid on them, and most else, but have one on my Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon in 26 Nosler. Standard build from Browning on the end of the 26" Bbl. This cartridge steps out at over 4100' per second. The muzzle lift is amazingly small, the felt recoil is supposed to be up to 40% reduced and the felt noise by the shooter is at the WEAR HEARING PROTECTION level. There was some concern for barrel wear with this cartridge but ears will heal over first. :D So to me reduced felt recoil, reduced muzzle lift- fairly meaningless in a bolt action, and reduced noise down range but remarkably increased noise to the operator. One note if you expect to be doing prone position shooting be sure the vents are not on the bottom of the brake unless you think dust baths keep insects at bay or are an elephant. On the subject or accuracy the cartridge is amazing, whether that has anything to do with the brake I have no idea. I have put some rounds down with the brake removed and either way the gun shoots way better than me any more.