PDA

View Full Version : EDC vs SD knives

Gatorade
08-24-2017, 08:35 PM
After receiving my Kershaw folder from Michael I have found myself in a little Selina. Previous to this I had a couple cheap folders that I used for everything from package opening, to screw driver, to pry bar. This Kershaw is way too good for that. Now I find myself carrying the Kershaw more places but putting it to use less often due to wanting to keep it in the best shape for self defense.

This got me thinking about what factors y'all think of when looking for a daily utility knife, and what differences you look at when looking for a self defense knife. Also which would you on have in your pocket on a daily basis.

edgehill
08-24-2017, 08:48 PM
For me, a daily knife has to be easy to sharpen and sturdy. I wouldn't spend too much on it. Usually I swap between the Kershaw Blur and a Spyderco Tenacious.

For SD, I prefer fixed blades. I carry either a 10-inch custom Bowie or a Sypderco Street Bowie in a Panther Sheath.

I usually carry both. I also have a small neck knife that I will carry as well.

Riverpigusmc
08-24-2017, 08:49 PM
left pocket....Sodbuster Jr for utility work. Right pocket, Spyderco Endura plain edge. If it looks like Bowel Movements matter is gonna kick up it's heels on campus, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie in a Panther sheath under my shirt

Caleb
08-24-2017, 09:09 PM
As previously stated, SD knife would be a fixed blade. I personally don't carry one but, been thinking about it. My pocket folders are not cheap but, definitely not considered expensive. It's usually the Kershaw Piston ($60ish) in my pocket for edc

sdmc530
08-24-2017, 09:20 PM
i only carry folders. my favorite is my flash II. i like the pocket clip kind personally.

TLE2
08-24-2017, 10:44 PM
I only carry one knife for all. I sharpen it several times a week. I probably should use another knife for utility work.

DaFadda
08-25-2017, 03:48 PM
First off... thanks for the compliment on the Kershaw. It is one of my favorites. To answer the question tho... I carry a zero tolerance 350, which uses the same Kershaw single finger opening system. Love the knife. it IS a bit heavier than my Kershaw, but I really do like the single flick opening. I actually like it better than a switchblade, since it's not really mechanical. Less to break. The most fun is when some liberal says "does anyone have a knife" and two seconds later I've got an open ZT in front of them saying "what do you need this for?".... The look on their face is "pricesless".

Michael

pitor
08-26-2017, 06:47 AM
First off... thanks for the compliment on the Kershaw. It is one of my favorites. To answer the question tho... I carry a zero tolerance 350, which uses the same Kershaw single finger opening system. Love the knife. it IS a bit heavier than my Kershaw, but I really do like the single flick opening. I actually like it better than a switchblade, since it's not really mechanical. Less to break. The most fun is when some liberal says "does anyone have a knife" and two seconds later I've got an open ZT in front of them saying "what do you need this for?".... The look on their face is "pricesless".

MichaelThis, I carry the ZT 350 I won here, best defensive folder I currently own. I like the Kershaw Blur but I feel it needs a better finger choil so hand doesn't slip over edge.

But seriously, how many here are trained to use blades defensively? And if you did use it defensively how is that going to look to a prosecutor? Knife wounds (slashes and puncture wounds) are normally associated with criminal elements. If you can stab someone like that, especially with a 10 inch Bowie (really?) then you ought to shoot the bastard.

A good solid kubaton fits my need better, you can easily crack a sternum and kill if thrusted into neck areas or the temple. Also consider I work at a school so carrying a fixed blade for defensive use is a no-go. But my zero tolerance is stout when deployed to the point I don't feel feel under knifed if I have to put it into action.

edgehill
08-26-2017, 07:11 AM
This, I carry the ZT 350 I won here, best defensive folder I currently own. I like the Kershaw Blur but I feel it needs a better finger choil so hand doesn't slip over edge.

But seriously, how many here are trained to use blades defensively? And if you did use it defensively how is that going to look to a prosecutor? Knife wounds (slashes and puncture wounds) are normally associated with criminal elements. If you can stab someone like that, especially with a 10 inch Bowie (really?) then you ought to shoot the bastard.

A good solid kubaton fits my need better, you can easily crack a sternum and kill if thrusted into neck areas or the temple. Also consider I work at a school so carrying a fixed blade for defensive use is a no-go. But my zero tolerance is stout when deployed to the point I don't feel feel under knifed if I have to put it into action.

I treat the Bowie like most people would treat a BUG. But the tool I would use when attacked would be based on the situation. If my primary gun went fubar the knife would be there. Or if I was attacked on my strong side where I could not draw the gun, I could draw the knife from the left side.

And as you know, yup I've had a number of knife classes, including a class on long knives.

pitor
08-26-2017, 08:21 AM
I treat the Bowie like most people would treat a BUG. But the tool I would use when attacked would be based on the situation. If my primary gun went fubar the knife would be there. Or if I was attacked on my strong side where I could not draw the gun, I could draw the knife from the left side.

And as you know, yup I've had a number of knife classes, including a class on long knives.In your case I'm not questioning the training I know you've had, I'm questioning the practice of carrying a 10 inch blade that was appropriate for the old Wild West. You would have a really hard time explaining yourself if somebody was found slashed and stabbed with a 10 inch knife. A lot more scrutiny that if you just shot someone. If you use the 10-inch bowie knife as a bug why not just carry a bug?

I believe when it comes to knife fighting and long blades (bowies and such) there is a lot fantasizing an era we're big blades were called for. Unless you're hiking up in high mountain or the Plains, in an urban setting a 10 inch Bowie really has no practical purposes in my opinion. A short fixed blade as a last ditch effort, or gun retention tool is one thing, a 10 inch Bowie is a complete different story.

Gatorade
08-26-2017, 08:40 AM
So when buying a folding knife do any of you look at a utility knife different than a self defense knife? Would you use a knife chosen for self defense as a utility knife on a daily basis?

edgehill
08-26-2017, 08:59 AM
So when buying a folding knife do any of you look at a utility knife different than a self defense knife? Would you use a knife chosen for self defense as a utility knife on a daily basis?

I don't. My utility knife is used for just about anything whereas my SD knife is only there for self defense.

Pedro, I guess it's an each there own thing with the Bowie. I've always liked long knives. I also see a Bowie like most consider a shotgun. The distinctive sound of racking a shotgun scares some people. The Bowie being pulled could do the same.

pitor
08-26-2017, 12:07 PM

I use my ZT 350 knife to process food at work and although it looks like a hunk of Steel slicing little tomatoes, it's pretty effective at that. And of course it can be put to use in a defensive role in no time. I also carry a Victorinox Pioneer SAK with multi-tool purposes in mind.

Pedro, I guess it's an each there own thing with the Bowie. I've always liked long knives. I also see a Bowie like most consider a shotgun. The distinctive sound of racking a shotgun scares some people. The Bowie being pulled could do the same.

Absolutely right Andy, I never meant to disparage you for carrying your Bowie knife. I (ME) just simply don't understand the practice of doing so in an urban set up. And although I've heard to the contrary, I can't possibly imagine it's comfortable to have a 10-inch blade stuff down the side of your pants. I know it comes down to the sheath and I know Panther does a terrific job and this area.

That being said, I've seen your Covington's and Bagwell's and they are stunning, sharp as a scalpel, and truly masterpieces in their own right.

BlackKnight
08-26-2017, 02:47 PM
My folder is for utility only. For self defense all my blades are fixed blades. I carry two in addition to the folder. I also carry a Swiss Army in my pocket.
Now, I'll address below.

Very good thought process! And everyone must put themselves through this thought especially more so depending what state you live in.
Now on that note, my knives are defensive and I can articulate if I had to use them. For example, I carry a straight blade on my support side. If someone grabs my gun and is trying to disarm me I can draw and cut, stab, and defend the attempt. I also carry another one in strong side appendix carry.
I've learned through training and experience that sometimes a fight ensues before it becomes a deadly force situation and if I'm in the thick of it and grabbed there are times when it's nearly impossible to draw. The knives are to get to my gun. If it stops the threat, even better.
I guess it helps that I've written and testified in this state in the use of force and know what prosecutors like and don't like and what they look for.

edgehill
08-26-2017, 06:18 PM
I use my ZT 350 knife to process food at work and although it looks like a hunk of Steel slicing little tomatoes, it's pretty effective at that. And of course it can be put to use in a defensive role in no time. I also carry a Victorinox Pioneer SAK with multi-tool purposes in mind.

Absolutely right Andy, I never meant to disparage you for carrying your Bowie knife. I (ME) just simply don't understand the practice of doing so in an urban set up. And although I've heard to the contrary, I can't possibly imagine it's comfortable to have a 10-inch blade stuff down the side of your pants. I know it comes down to the sheath and I know Panther does a terrific job and this area.

That being said, I've seen your Covington's and Bagwell's and they are stunning, sharp as a scalpel, and truly masterpieces in their own right.

I know, Pedro. I didn't take your comments as disparagement. Next time I'm up, I'll let you carry the Covington and show you the difference. The Commodore sheath allows the knife to float so it moves with your body. Once you learn the draw, you can have the knife deployed as fast as a gun (you saw Brownie draw the Bagwell).

I would agree with you. If you are going to carry a knife for self defense, get training. Using a knife for defense is much different than using a gun. It requires a different mindset.

Barbie
09-11-2017, 03:05 AM
Two folders, both Spiderco Endura... 3 inches for utility and 4 for SD. A fix blade for SD on weak side, usually a spiderco street bowie...or something bigger. Days like these were utility can be needed for the fixed, leave the spiderco perrin home and take a more chunky knife.

Explanations? Pitor, isn't the same as explaning why you prefer 45 to 9 or 9 to 22 or an AR to a black powder one shot thingy... I carry a straight because it is more reliable in a fight than a folder. And a long one is better than a short blade. Don't believe that krap that size don't matter. :D

...from phone