PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Pistols with 3.90” barrels

DevilDawg
11-19-2017, 09:17 AM
I am learning towards the STI Gaurdian 2011 in 9mm as a new addition for my CCW, but have so far been unable to find anyone reviewing these pistols. Anyone have any experience with these shorter pistols in 9mm?

It’s a bit of money to put into one which I plan to put into the CCW position without benefit of being able to fire them first. Thanks in advance. For the responses.

Riverpigusmc
11-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Might look at the STI subforum on 1911forum. Phil runs STI, I think

Caleb
11-19-2017, 02:11 PM
I experience with the 2011s but, both STI 1911s I own served me well for ccw. They are 3.5” and 4” versions. No issues at all in functionality.

I believe all the 2011s are double stacked so, the grip will be pretty thick. Might have issues printing, or you might not.

DevilDawg
11-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Thanks RiverPig and will check into it.

Thanks CALEB, and I will take one of my holsters with me to a LGS that sells them and see how they fit. It shouldn’t be any worse than my XD-45.

sdmc530
11-19-2017, 04:45 PM
First STI is flawless guns so if you want one you better get one in 1911 anyway before they are gone. Second I have an officers but nothing as short as your looking but I have never heard of anyone complaining among the sti guys. You should be fine.

2011 versions are double stack and will run great but probably not a best option for carry but that is just my opinion. They are more designed for play and comp and not geared toward carry doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t. I would not hesitate to buy a sti if you want one.

DevilDawg
11-20-2017, 08:26 PM
First STI is flawless guns so if you want one you better get one in 1911 anyway before they are gone. Second I have an officers but nothing as short as your looking but I have never heard of anyone complaining among the sti guys. You should be fine.

2011 versions are double stack and will run great but probably not a best option for carry but that is just my opinion. They are more designed for play and comp and not geared toward carry doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t. I would not hesitate to buy a sti if you want one.

Thanks sdmc530 and we got my son one of their 1911 Trojans for his college graduation. It’s a sweet shooter which has started my “Want” for one of these. However I know from holding the DVC line that the double stack is barely thicker by feel, and some YouTube videos confirm my grip-o-meter.

My concern now is that the safety isn’t as positive as it is on the 1911 models. Not sure if this is inherent in the 2011 models or if just with the one I held, however I am getting similar concerns voiced on another board. Of course those guys are saying get the Wilson EDC X9 for another grand. I can get a LOT of safety tuned for far less that that and ammo. :cool:

sdmc530
11-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Wilson’s are super nice but just so much when I can get two nice for that money. I have heard rumors of the safety issue but the 2011 is made for competitors so most want it touchy anyways. I think sti going to all double stacks is probably a good move for them and I really want one!

Caleb
11-20-2017, 09:14 PM
The safety on my Guardian is easily switched off and on (main reason I don’t edc it anymore) but, the one on the 3.5” “officer” is very positive and tactile. I guess it all depends on that particular pistol you end up with. Like you said tho, you can have it tuned for way less than a grand.

DevilDawg
10-01-2020, 08:33 PM
Reviving your own necro thread... Nice

Long time and glad to say it was worth the wait. I should get my Staccato C2 right at 3yrs after starting this thread. I ordered it through the Staccato page to take advantage of the Veteran discount, down side is a 90 day wait.

This will give me time to find a decent holster, I want to stick with kydex, and there only seems to be a couple options for these so far. QVO and LAS. If anyone has any other options I’d be happy to look into them.

Additionally having to wait until after the election means I won’t be tempted to buy any of the ammo (if I could actually find any) at the current insane prices. Shame on me for changing calibers in the middle of a Trade War/Petro Crash/COVID/Election cycle

DrHenley
10-01-2020, 10:10 PM
Congrats and sorry you have to wait for so long. That would kill me!

Yeah, changing calibers...

I anticipated maybe carrying a 9mm at some point, and after what happened during the Obama shortages I started stocking up on it once it became available. Actually, now that I recall...I actually started stocking up on it during the Obama shortages because I was trading 223 brass for 9mm ammo.

Horse'nround
10-02-2020, 12:16 AM
I actually started looking for a short 1911 in 9mm for the boss to carry (she's no a fan of my 938... My BIL came across a Kimber CDP ultra at a competition a while back, a friend of his was having to pair down a little. So he shot a practice round with it and was surprised at how well it ran. When they broke it down for cleaning he was shocked to find there was no Schwartz in it. He thought it was an older model but his friend said he had purchased new from his LGS a year ago. Well he liked enough to take it home, where my sister got a hold of it. Long story short, he doesn't get to see the little CDP no more. This peaked my interest so I contacted Kimber and spoke with the custom shop, and by golly they are making the series 70 straight CDP in 9mm again, in all 3 sizes. Bad news is... only through the custom shop. I asked how and where to get one, he said get on the list at the custom shop, and wait... the wait 9 - 12 months. That was last year, with that and $1200 bucks, I didn't get on the list... I'm beginning to think that might have been a mistake.

Boats
10-02-2020, 08:44 AM
Until recently, I didn't carry 9mm, but started about 4 months ago. Since I made up my mind to get a carry 9mm almost 6 months ago, I've been collecting brass at the range and compulsively reloading range 9mm. I have about 1500 rounds now.

I only carry commercial self defense loads.

Boats

Congrats and sorry you have to wait for so long. That would kill me!

Yeah, changing calibers...

I anticipated maybe carrying a 9mm at some point, and after what happened during the Obama shortages I started stocking up on it once it became available. Actually, now that I recall...I actually started stocking up on it during the Obama shortages because I was trading 223 brass for 9mm ammo.

DrHenley
10-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Until recently, I didn't carry 9mm, but started about 4 months ago. Since I made up my mind to get a carry 9mm almost 6 months ago, I've been collecting brass at the range and compulsively reloading range 9mm. I have about 1500 rounds now.

I only carry commercial self defense loads.

Boats

With 9 mil, I would carry commercial too (and I already have PLENTY of them). The reloads are to practice with (and for the zombie apocalypse, LOL) Over half my reloads are using plated bullets. They aren't as reliable for some reason as jacketed, and even though they are hollow point, they don't really expand much. But for practice that doesn't really matter (and I get to practice clearing jams)

I've been meaning to trade my CZ-75 (which I would not carry) for a CZ-P07 (which I might), but kept putting it off, I wonder if I can even find one now...

Boats
10-02-2020, 09:29 AM
For a while there, the plated ones (Berrys) were easier to get, and maybe still are - I've got enough to last a while and haven't looked.

Zombie apocalypes, heh heh. Or riots in the neighborhood. At my age, I doubt I'd get off more than 50 rounds in any sort of fight before I was gone.

But somehow it makes me feel more comfortable having a large collection.

And I just flat out like the entire process of reloading them. Especially, for some reason, the slower, more focused .308 ammo, which I do single station vs on the turret.

Boats

The reloads are to practice with (and for the zombie apocalypse, LOL) Over half my reloads are using plated bullets. They aren't as reliable for some reason as jacketed, and even though they are hollow point, they don't really expand much. But for practice that doesn't really matter (and I get to practice clearing jams)

Sheepdog
10-02-2020, 04:26 PM
I have a 3.9 inch STI VIP 2011 in 45 ACP. It like my other STI's (5) run flawlessly. I'm not sure what is going on with STI they get a new CEO about every six months and can't seem to figure out what they are going to do as far as marketing and which direction the company is going to go. Also they are no longer STI they are Staccato.

sdmc530
10-03-2020, 10:55 AM
I have a 3.9 inch STI VIP 2011 in 45 ACP. It like my other STI's (5) run flawlessly. I'm not sure what is going on with STI they get a new CEO about every six months and can't seem to figure out what they are going to do as far as marketing and which direction the company is going to go. Also they are no longer STI they are Staccato.

Agreed! they are all over the map these days. The new STI the "Staccato" are nice as always but don't understand the direction they are taking.

I have been a LONG time STI fan. I have the Ranger officers size, the Trojan full size and the baby 1911 Spartan. All are great shooters. I can't even imagine how many rounds I have through my Trojan. Probably my favorite 1911 to shoot.

Caleb
10-03-2020, 12:37 PM
I love my two STI 1911s. I hate the finish tho but, it’s a small price to pay for such an incredible piece of hardware. Not hating the 2011 line even though it’s not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdmc530
10-04-2020, 05:09 PM
I love my two STI 1911s. I hate the finish tho but, it’s a small price to pay for such an incredible piece of hardware. Not hating the 2011 line even though it’s not my cup of tea.

the finish was always there one down fall, such a shame. My Trojan has some slight holster wear but when its bad enough I will get it re-done. I had a little issue with it right out of the box and they were more than happy to take it back and re-finish it but I though why would I let them refinish it the same way I got it to begin with and just figured someday I would have it blued when it was too far gone and bothered me enough.

so far its been fine actually but yeah, their "bluing" wasn't the best. They just need more finish care than a typical 1911 IMO....

Caleb
10-04-2020, 05:18 PM
the finish was always there one down fall, such a shame. My Trojan has some slight holster wear but when its bad enough I will get it re-done. I had a little issue with it right out of the box and they were more than happy to take it back and re-finish it but I though why would I let them refinish it the same way I got it to begin with and just figured someday I would have it blued when it was too far gone and bothered me enough.

so far its been fine actually but yeah, their "bluing" wasn't the best. They just need more finish care than a typical 1911 IMO....

I know a guy for bluing.

Sheepdog
10-08-2020, 05:47 PM
Rangers are cool they are actually smaller(thinner) than the Officers. They are built on the Combatmaster frame. Hang on to it, there are not many out there. Lots of Ranger ll.

sdmc530
10-08-2020, 07:40 PM
Rangers are cool they are actually smaller(thinner) than the Officers. They are built on the Combatmaster frame. Hang on to it, there are not many out there. Lots of Ranger ll.

well shoot....now I actually not sure if its a Ranger or a Ranger II. I have to look to be sure now.

Sheepdog
10-14-2020, 09:51 PM
My daughter took my Ranger.:(

sdmc530
10-15-2020, 11:44 AM
shoot I forgot to look!!?!

Caleb
10-15-2020, 07:14 PM
shoot I forgot to look!!?!

CRS.

Shark1007
10-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Devil Dawg

You will love the C2. I have the P model in 9 mm and then 45 and cannot be happier. JM Kydex is probably your best bet for IWB carry. Both my P models carry at about 430 with an appropriate forward cant and seem very secure.

As a matter fact, I was going to order the C2. I found it with the appropriate holster, I was good to go with the larger pistol.

DevilDawg
11-22-2020, 11:06 PM
Devil Dawg

You will love the C2. I have the P model in 9 mm and then 45 and cannot be happier. JM Kydex is probably your best bet for IWB carry. Both my P models carry at about 430 with an appropriate forward cant and seem very secure.

As a matter fact, I was going to order the C2. I found it with the appropriate holster, I was good to go with the larger pistol.

Thanks, I ended up ordering an LAS Concealment Shogun for it.

DevilDawg
12-10-2020, 01:25 PM
Well here we are (+70) days since I ordered, and it has finally shipped. It should be at my LGS today sometime and available for pickup tomorrow.

Fortunately my LAS Concealment Shogun should be here today after the USPS played round-robin with it for the past two weeks.

Now I just need to locate some SD ammo in 9mm, because the reloads will be for punching paper only. I am also getting the Mantis-X2 for dry firing at home in the near term.

Caleb
12-10-2020, 04:08 PM
Finally!