PDA

View Full Version : AR Question/Help

sdmc530
03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I have a DPMS flat top AR15. I like shooting it, I know I am a pistol guy the AR is a ton of fun. anyways I purchased a red dot you can follow the link here to see what I got...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/551332/leapers-utg-red-dot-sight-38mm-tube-1x-4-moa-red-and-green-dot-with-low-and-medium-quick-detachable-picatinny-style-mounts-matte?cm_vc=S014

Anyways I was wondering if its smart/dumb to still put on a front sight on the gas block? I know its redundint but it just makes sense to me. Is this a bad idea or is a common practice with AR's?

Thanks!!!

jmlutz
03-02-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't even think about a front sight on an AR. :)Mike

Grizzman
03-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Installing back up irons will somewhat depend on the purpose of the rifle. If you would use it to protect your life, then I definitely recommend a set of BUIS (folding front and rear). I'm not sure how much hard use your optic would tolerate before losing zero or failing entirely.....and if either of those happen, you've got a problem without irons.

If it's strictly a range toy, and you've got other rifles/shotguns for self defense, then there's little reason (besides practice with them) to install irons.

I've been using Troy's irons for years and have been completely satisfied. In a true back up role, Magpul's set should work just fine.

Grizz

sdmc530
03-02-2012, 06:09 PM
so there is no true advantage to using a red dot with the front irons besids for back up purposes?

Oh yea, my AR is really a range toy, no other real use except some pdogs or varmit on the farm....

Grizzman
03-02-2012, 06:42 PM
so there is no true advantage to using a red dot with the front irons besids for back up purposes?

Oh yea, my AR is really a range toy, no other real use except some pdogs or varmit on the farm....

You are correct. A front sight serves no purpose with a red dot optic.

Grizz

sdmc530
03-02-2012, 07:39 PM
thanks for the help Grizz, I won't waist my money on the sights then....

DaFadda
03-02-2012, 08:09 PM
My AR is a flat top, but it DOES have a A2 front sight. I've put an M4 Red dot on it. Funny thing is... the red dot is actually sighted on the front sight... so it's still a point and shoot. And its very accurate. you've heard of the movie "Eyes wide shut"? My take on it is "Both Eyes Open". Woo Hoo!
DaFadda

sdmc530
03-02-2012, 08:34 PM
My AR is a flat top, but it DOES have a A2 front sight. I've put an M4 Red dot on it. Funny thing is... the red dot is actually sighted on the front sight... so it's still a point and shoot. And its very accurate. you've heard of the movie "Eyes wide shut"? My take on it is "Both Eyes Open". Woo Hoo!
DaFadda

Dafadda,
Way to throw a monkey into the works....I thought I had my mind made up...:D

DaFadda
03-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Not a monkey in the works. Go to PrimaryArms.com and take a look at their Red dots (even if you don't buy). I've purchased THREE of their red dots, and they are simply wonders to behold. Keep their zero and run on 1 AA battery.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_MultiReticle_Red_Dot_Sight_p/pam3m.htm

Grizzman
03-02-2012, 09:15 PM
As this type of optic is truly parallax free, the dot moves around as the shooter's head is moved. If the shooter raises his/her head, then the dot will appear at the top of the sighting window. The dot appearing on the top of the front post proves that you've got a proper cheekweld.

I'm a big (though relatively new) fan of red dot sights, and I plan to get another pone for my latest 5.56 build. I used a carry handle and A2 front sight for years, and thought it worked out just fine. The CompML3 is so much quicker and simpler that I was truly amazed.

Grizz

Deleted
03-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Here is another option, If you want BUIS you can go this route, which what i plan on putting on my AR build along with a Aimpoint CompML3.

Food for thought!!!

http://www.surefire.com/DD-RTS-SET

sdmc530
03-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Here is another option, If you want BUIS you can go this route, which what i plan on putting on my AR build along with a Aimpoint CompML3.

Food for thought!!!

http://www.surefire.com/DD-RTS-SET

I like that alot, just don't like the price.

sdmc530
03-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Well, I think for now I will stick with the red dot. I may in the future put on some BUIS sights on but for now this is just a play gun so that is not needed. I will use the red dot for a while and see how it goes!

Thanks All

Deleted
03-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I like that alot, just don't like the price.

I have seen cheaper versions of this, can't remeber who else offers them though.

Ed