PDA

View Full Version : Clean Factory Ammo

Jeeves
03-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I know I may be opening up a whole can of worms here but wanted to get some opinions on new factory ammo. I am just looking for opinions/advice on which is the best/cleanest range ammo, so FMJ.

The reason I ask is I have only been shooting handguns for a few months and it's all been 9mm. In that time I have shot various makes of ammo and I have formed some of my own opinions about which ammo I prefer. After recently getting the DW Valor in .45 I went to the range with some Mag-tech 230gr FMJ. I was a little wary with it not being American but hadn't seen any bad reviews on the stuff. The ammo shot great, every one went bang as expected. What I wasn't prepared for when I stripped down the weapon for cleaning was it looking like I had been digging for coal with it!! Before I go too much further though, as I have no basis of comparison, should I be expecting more build up when shooting a .45 or is it in this case the ammo being dirty?

If you can give me some opinions and maybe suggest 2 or 3 different ones we can see which comes out the winner.

Thedragonslayer
03-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Yea most inexpensive ammo is dirty... kinda like, uh. :D Well you know.......

JBT
03-04-2012, 03:57 AM
I have tried many cheap brands and I have found Federal American Eagle to be one of the cleanest.

DaFadda
03-04-2012, 06:02 AM
I'm at a loss here... What IS "factory ammo?" :D:D:D

Reloading is the way to go!
daFadda

Riverpigusmc
03-04-2012, 09:54 AM
I have many tried many cheap brands and I have found Federal American Eagle to be one of the cleanest.

^this. Buy it online from places like Ammo To Go and such..consistant stuff, too

Free Agent
03-04-2012, 10:01 AM
+1 for American Eagle. If you buy by the case from TargetSportsUSA they do free shipping.

Jdl2
03-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Just ordered a case 45/230 from Target Sports. Free shipping +$4.75 insurance. Good deal!
Jim

Big Smoke
03-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm at a loss here... What IS "factory ammo?" :D:D:D

Reloading is the way to go!
daFadda

I'm with you. I haven't shot factory ammo in 15 years. Even if I change to a caliber I haven't shot or reload for, I just buy the dies, brass, and bullets to accommodate it, and go from there.

DaFadda
03-22-2012, 04:42 PM
What factory ammo I do have is kept under wraps for TEOTWAWKI. Then I'll fire it with confidence and be able to police my own brass for reloading. FINALLY... I won't have anyone else's brass mixed in with mine!
Fadda