PDA

View Full Version : I went and did it now.

Big Smoke
03-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Just bought a Ruger 22/45 mkIII. Took it to the range yesterday for the first time, and sighted in my red dot sight. Got it hitting pretty much spot on.
Took it home and started to disassemble it to clean it. This is the first time I've ever taken one of these down, so like I always do with an unfamiliar gun, I bought an AGI video Armorers' course for it. Well, apparently, it just wan't my day. I made sure the hammer was down, like the video said. I started to pull the hammer strut down with a pocket screwdriver, and it was tight/stuck. Then I realized the magazine was still in, and I released it. Then the hammer strut moved freely. But it wouldn't pull down and out of the gun. It wouldn't budge. So I pushed it back up all the way in, and replaced the hammer strut. I attempted to cock the gun and dry fire it, but the bolt was sticking. I pulled a little harder, and it came back, but had to be forced to go into battery. Not too much force, just a nudge from the palm of my hand. But now it won't dry fire. So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't know if the hammer is up or down, why the bolt is sticking, and the video said if you forget to put the hammer down and try to remove the hammer strut, it will stick and you won't get it out, or back in. I have it in, but not sure what's going on, and I'm afraid to mess it up.
So I guess it's off to a qualified gunsmith for this brand new gun. :( Sometimes I feel so stupid. :mad:

Grouse
03-04-2012, 10:35 AM
send me a couple of photos of where you are at. These are rock hard to take a part. I had to use a brass hammer and punch set to drive the pin down and back in. I have put 10k through mine.

sdmc530
03-04-2012, 11:12 AM
they can be a tough one to deal with but after you do it once properly it will be second nature, post a pic, we will get you set up!

Big Smoke
03-04-2012, 12:40 PM
This first pic shows the hammer strut wanting to come out after I pulled the release lever. At this point, it is very tight to come any further.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ujg5/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_0413.JPG

This picture shows the bolt pulled out. It is not locked, but will close with a smack of your hand. Not good.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ujg5/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_0414.JPG

Here is a close up of the open bolt.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ujg5/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_0415.JPG

Another view of the open bolt.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ujg5/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_0416.JPG

And here you see the safety is on, indicating the gun is cocked, and the hammer is up. The Armorer's video warns not to attempt to remove the hammer spring with the hammer up, or you will damage the strut, and not be able to remove it, or put it back. But when I pull the trigger, nothing. So I assume it is not going into full battery, or something is binding at bolt and hammer.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ujg5/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_0417.JPG

Big Smoke
03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Upon closer inspection, I notice the bolt not closing all the way, keeping it from going into battery, and not being able to lower the hammer. These next two pics indicate this.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ujg5/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_0418.JPG

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ujg5/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_0419.JPG

douglas_knott
03-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Sorry I was chuckling within the second sentence. I knew what happened. Xiao I first got mine and done The same thing it took me forever to get it back together. After several hours of messing with and when I finally got it functioning properly I had the pistol sold very quickly.

Big Smoke
03-04-2012, 02:56 PM
How did you fix it?

GoldenVolt
03-04-2012, 03:23 PM
It sounds like your hammer strut missed the opening of the main spring. It takes a couple times to get the hang of it.....

IF YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY REASSEMBLING THE PISTOL,
HERE ARE SOME HELPFUL TIPS!
If the hammer strut does not contact the plunger inside the mainspring
housing as it is swung shut, it will either be impossible to close the housing, or
the housing will close but the bolt cannot be fully opened without binding.
Make sure strut is free, hammer is uncocked, and repeat steps 6-11, above.
If the mainspring housing pulls out of the gun when swung in, the barrel/
receiver assembly is not fully rearward on the frame. Repeat step 3, above.
Remember that it is essential that the hammer must be in its vertical,
uncocked, position as the mainspring housing is swung shut. If the housing is
excessively difficult to close, the hammer is probably cocked. Repeat steps 7-12,
above.
The foregoing may give the impression that reassembly is difficult, but it is
quickly and easily done once properly learned.

I don't have one anymore, but I remember having the same issues. I doubt you hurt anything.

Good luck.

Greg

Grouse
03-04-2012, 03:26 PM
simple fix

pul out the back of the handle,
turn it upside down setting it on a table.

shine a light inside.

the thick wedge shaped thing needs to pull up towards you.

this can be achieved by setting the gun upright and pulling it down with a dental pick.

shine a light into that area. you will see a thin rod / stamped piece of spring steel. That was up into the bolt area. It needs to come down to allow the wedge to go all the way up.

that spring steel will also come down with the dental pick. if not go ahead and drive out the pin till it falls down.

If needed re insert the pin, making sure to hold that spring steel piece from going up.

push wedge upward into the bolt area

reinsert the back of handle making sure the spring steel piece fits into the springed detent on the back of handle lever.

if needed use leather mallet to drive pin all the way up. then insert back of handle

close back of handle latch.

belive it or not mkII was so much easier. this mkiii is a pain in the boooot

Grouse
03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
It sounds like your hammer strut missed the opening of the main spring. It takes a couple times to get the hang of it.....

IF YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY REASSEMBLING THE PISTOL,
HERE ARE SOME HELPFUL TIPS!
If the hammer strut does not contact the plunger inside the mainspring
housing as it is swung shut, it will either be impossible to close the housing, or
the housing will close but the bolt cannot be fully opened without binding.
Make sure strut is free, hammer is uncocked, and repeat steps 6-11, above.
If the mainspring housing pulls out of the gun when swung in, the barrel/
receiver assembly is not fully rearward on the frame. Repeat step 3, above.
Remember that it is essential that the hammer must be in its vertical,
uncocked, position as the mainspring housing is swung shut. If the housing is
excessively difficult to close, the hammer is probably cocked. Repeat steps 7-12,
above.
The foregoing may give the impression that reassembly is difficult, but it is
quickly and easily done once properly learned.

I don't have one anymore, but I remember having the same issues. I doubt you hurt anything.

Good luck.

Greg

exactly it sounds like he has it caught up in the slide.

GoldenVolt
03-04-2012, 03:40 PM
exactly it sounds like he has it caught up in the slide.

I forgot about the magazine disconnecter on the MkIII.:eek:

Big Smoke
03-04-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't think I'm fully grasping this. I see a little coil spring inside the lever to remove the hammer strut. Is that the spring I need to remove? I can't move anything, but I do know that with the strut in place, the bolt sticks, but when I pull the lever out, the bolt releases. I don't see a wedge.

Grouse
03-04-2012, 07:34 PM
give me a call, i will try to explain it over the phone

425 301 0790

douglas_knott
03-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Here is my thread.

http://forums.1911forum.com/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=654

I just watched the youtube videos its been a while and I don't remember which one it was. It took some fighting to fix it but I think I just got lucky.

Big Smoke
03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
give me a call, i will try to explain it over the phone

425 301 0790

Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated. I'll work on the rest tomorrow eveing, and see where it goes from there. nanner

Big Smoke
03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
I just fixed it. I wasn't sure about some of the alignements, and that spring at the hammer strut gave me a fit, but I got it. It works proper now. Anybody want to buy a 22/45? :D Naw, now that I can figure it out, I think I'll keep it. But it isn't going to get cleaned as often as my 1911, that's for sure. Run a patch down the barrel, some Ballistol, and I'm done. I'm not going to break it down for a thorough cleaning except for every several hundred rounds. What a PIA!

douglas_knott
03-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I just fixed it. I wasn't sure about some of the alignements, and that spring at the hammer strut gave me a fit, but I got it. It works proper now. Anybody want to buy a 22/45? :D Naw, now that I can figure it out, I think I'll keep it. But it isn't going to get cleaned as often as my 1911, that's for sure. Run a patch down the barrel, some Ballistol, and I'm done. I'm not going to break it down for a thorough cleaning except for every several hundred rounds. What a PIA!

Yeah major PITA. glad you got it working though.

deldago
03-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Been there done that.When I bought mine my local funstore owner repeatedly told me not to take it apart as they are a real bitch to get back together and it is the # 1 gun that comes back to him in a paper bag in pieces.I figured I would just pull the bolt out to clean it and that's when the panic set in.My wife laughed as I repeatedly tried to get it back together after watching every youtube video I could find.I refused to be one of those guys walking in with it in pieces.Since then I use an Otis cleaning system to keep from taking it apart.Glad you got everything working.

Big Smoke
03-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I was pretty much determined not to be "That Guy" either. I was a little worried from the AGI armorer's course, and some of their warnings sounded dire. Grouse talked me through it (thanks again, Grouse), and once I got the lever in the back to work again, I just tapped out the lever through the top, pulled the bolt out, tapped the barrel off, cleaned it, then the fun started again during reassembly tonight. There's just too much hold it upside down with the trigger pulled, and magaine in, then take out the magazine, then release the trigger, etc, etc. Felt like I was playing Simon Says. "Take out the magazine and remove the bolt, ah ah ah, I didn't say Simon Says". Try it again.
But like everyone has said, once you do it, you understand what needs to be done.

Grouse
03-06-2012, 06:57 AM
ruger mkiiis vary in PIA. I picked up a new one and dropped out the bold with moderate effort requiring no tools, it went back in the same way. Mine is a pia, I can not even get the levers out of the back of the grip with out a pry bar, oxy acc, and 10000 virgins praying to holy buddha.

Thedragonslayer
03-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Everything i have read on these pistols is they are VERY HARD to break down and fully clean. It seems you need to watch and read a lot of stuff before you get it down.

I hope it goes well the second time you break her down.

Noel