PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Newbie 1st time report

RevM
03-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Hey all,

Picked up my first 1911 ... a DW Guardian .45

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/G-Bob.jpg

Took her to the range early last week and put 99 rounds of Federal Champion 230gr round nose through her. Yes, 99 rounds ... one of the rounds had come apart in the box like it was never crimped.

This gun shoots like a dream ... I can't believe I never really even looked twice at 1911's in the past.

I sure need more trigger time (and to not be at an indoor range right next to someone shooting a big caliber handgun :insane:) before I'm going to post any targets!

I did have a problem that showed up though. It didn't happen on every mag, and it happened with both of the factory (Checkmate) mags. 5 out of the 99 rounds showed a failure to feed when they were the last round out of the magazine.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/GBOB_FTF_on_first_outing.jpg

Took this photo with my cell phone at the range. When I got home I placed an order with Brownells for two Wilson Combat ETM's. Hopefully that will solve the problem ... I'f so I'm going to give DW and Checkmate a call about these OEM mags.

Mark

AutoMag
03-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Sounds like you had a good day at the range Mark!!:)

douglas_knott
03-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the range report. I haven't had any issues with my mags but some people do. Hope you get it worked out.

NAMVET72
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the Range Report Mark.........

Clyde

JBT
03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the range report, Mark. I think the CM magazines are a hit or miss. Mine have been fine, but just in case, I have a few Tripp Cobra 7rd magazines handy.

Sunderbrew
03-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I have a problem with my slide locking back on my guardian using CM mags I'm going to exchange them for new ones but if that doesn't solve the issue I may buy a couple of Wilson mags. Mind shoots like dream as well. Truly a joy to shoot.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.332540,-85.704398

Thedragonslayer
03-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Call DW for sure! They will get it fixed.

RevM
03-08-2012, 11:52 PM
I called them this morning after a 2nd range session gave similar results to the first session above.

I used the OEM CM mags and the new standard base Wilson Combat RTM's. I shot both Federal Champions and Federal HST +P's. No issues with the +P's were noted (though I only shot two mags full). I did have 3 FTF's (out of 100) of the Champions in the OEM mags ... none in the WC mags.

It looks like the last round in the mag is actually popping out of the mag rather than feeding ... I even had the slide lock back in one case with the last round just resting on top of the mag, partially in the chamber.

When I called I got their voice mail and a message that said they would call back after 2 ... no return call today.

I'll let them have a go at fixing these mags, but I'm thinking I'll just get a couple low profile base mags from WC and be good with it.

herefordman1
03-09-2012, 05:23 AM
I had a bit of a problem with my mags. Solved it by squeezing the lips together a little bit and problem was solved.

Jim

DaFadda
03-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Mark, I'm just going to parrot the same advice given to me by the 1911 wizards from here when I got my new DW. "The slide frame fit on these are so tight that you need to run the gun very wet during its break in period." Lot's of oil while shooting for the first several hundred rounds.

If you are doing that, and your still failing to go to battery, then it might be the mag. But it could be just running a bit dry.

Hope this is helpful.
DaFadda

RevM
03-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Mark, I'm just going to parrot the same advice given to me by the 1911 wizards from here when I got my new DW. "The slide frame fit on these are so tight that you need to run the gun very wet during its break in period." Lot's of oil while shooting for the first several hundred rounds.

If you are doing that, and your still failing to go to battery, then it might be the mag. But it could be just running a bit dry.

Hope this is helpful.
DaFadda

I actually read that same advise ... I'm running this gun almost dripping wet for the first several hundred rounds. Everything is running very smoothly ... just the more than occasional last round seemingly popping out of the mag and not going into battery.

It seems that the pushing together of the feed lips may be the ticket ... but not a long term one ... the CM's have a very smooth transition between the back of the lips and the front where the WC's have a very clear step.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/1911_Mag_Lips.jpg

CM on the left, WC on the right.