PDA

View Full Version : Current Commanders

Grizzman
09-21-2019, 09:29 PM
I'm really surprised that Dan Wesson discontinued the Valor series. The other products may have been brought up to Valor specs and fitting, but those aren't the only reasons to choose one.

I'd been considering a Valor Commander before they were discontinued, so I looked for the closest alternate I could find...all steel, Duty Treat, no Bob, and no rail, but it seems to no longer exist.

Without going with a custom, a Vigil Commander seems to be a solid option, since the aluminum frame does offer a solid benefit. There's also the Guardian, which can also be had in 38 Super. I've shot a couple of Bobbed ones, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference in the hand.

What's a fellow to do?

Caleb
09-21-2019, 11:32 PM
How about buy a Valor?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/415005501/Firearms/Handguns/CZ-USA/DAN+WEStainless+SteelON+VALOR+LIMITED+.45+ACP+4.25 +Stainless+Steel+HEARTWOOD

I don’t like the fact they discontinued it either. I hope to own one someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzman
09-22-2019, 12:00 AM
A stainless Valor could be purchased and sent to DW for Duty Treat, or one could be purchased used, but I was thinking more along the lines of, "what current Commander interests us most?

Riverpigusmc
09-22-2019, 07:51 AM
Since DW discontinued the Valor, which is in fact the Wesson I would buy, I've kinda been looking at a Baer commander..but I know me and Les would get in a cussfight

Grizzman
09-22-2019, 11:57 AM
I've also considered a Baer in the past, but not a Commander. I agree that any conversation with Les is unlikely to be pleasant.

My CCW class instructor was praising the STI Stacatto-C heavily. Some research showed it to be a hybrid steel/polymer grip design, with a rail, so hard pass on that option.

Horse'nround
09-23-2019, 12:22 AM
Wish I could tell you what DW is up to, but don't think they know either...:eek:

Out of my 3 commander length guns 2 are bobbed a classic and a guardian, I carry them everywhere because they just don't pattern. I'm considering doing a CCO on my kimber eclipse just to soften the MS housing edge and reduce the snag factor.

DrHenley
09-23-2019, 10:53 AM
I'm really surprised that Dan Wesson discontinued the Valor series.

Same here. I was under the impression that the Valor was like their flagship product.

But then again, when I was looking for one, the only ones I could find were waaaaaay overpriced and I eventually gave up on the idea of buying one. I bought two Sig 1911's for less than what one new Valor would have cost at the time.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=888

Caleb
09-24-2019, 10:59 AM
A stainless Valor could be purchased and sent to DW for Duty Treat, or one could be purchased used, but I was thinking more along the lines of, "what current Commander interests us most?

Ah.... my mistake.

I need to go look at the line up to see if anything catches my eye like the Valor did.

Grizzman
09-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Since it would be primarily carried, a bobbed aluminum frame does make sense, but it would be nice to have the option of a traditional ,steel, full framed commander.

The indoor range I use has a .45 Guardian in the rental pool, so I'll check it out again.

If you've got the stones (and skills) to do it, then rounding the Kimber should be beneficial. The CCO is my primary carry piece, and it disappears very well.

Are any of you 38 Super fans?

Grizzman
02-23-2020, 12:20 PM
Has anyone noticed that the Valor and V-Bob are back? My guess is that a Valor Commander without bob will be introduced also.

DrHenley
02-23-2020, 01:42 PM
Has anyone noticed that the Valor and V-Bob are back? My guess is that a Valor Commander without bob will be introduced also.

Balance has now been restored in The Force :)

RKP
02-23-2020, 10:22 PM
Balance has now been restored in The Force :)

:D ... http://www.cotep.org/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Caleb
02-24-2020, 04:48 PM
Smart move Mr. Wesson.

DaFadda
02-26-2020, 06:11 PM
I'm really surprised that Dan Wesson discontinued the Valor series. The other products may have been brought up to Valor specs and fitting, but those aren't the only reasons to choose one.

I'd been considering a Valor Commander before they were discontinued, so I looked for the closest alternate I could find...all steel, Duty Treat, no Bob, and no rail, but it seems to no longer exist.

Without going with a custom, a Vigil Commander seems to be a solid option, since the aluminum frame does offer a solid benefit. There's also the Guardian, which can also be had in 38 Super. I've shot a couple of Bobbed ones, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference in the hand.

What's a fellow to do?

I own both the guardians in 38 super and in 9mm. In retrospect, I would not have purchased the 38 super, since there is virtually no difference in the two rounds with the current stock of defensive 9mm cartridges available. The reason I bought the 38 super is that my wife absconded (stole) my brand new 9mm. I get to clean it and shoot it, but it is HERS! So I bought the 38 super a few weeks later..... lol

HeavyLead
08-15-2022, 10:05 AM
So i know i'm a little later to this party (thread), but DW has indeed brought back the Valor series. I'm the proud owner of the new style V-Bob, all SS and it's likely the best 1911 I've ever owned. Feels great, looks great, and shoots great. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Highly recommend.

-HL

Caleb
08-21-2022, 03:49 PM
That’s great news as I’ve always wanted one of those. Got any pics?