PDA

View Full Version : Reloading again

ColMike
03-13-2012, 06:47 AM
I started reloading when I was about 16 and did so for many years. Loaded rifle, pistol and shotgun. However, I got out of reloading about 2001, gave my gear to a good friend and have been out of it since. I only hunted and never shot more than a box of ammo in a season. Now we have started a shooting group in our neighborhood and I am burning .45 acp ammo regularly. I want to start reloading again. Probably only pistol in .45 and 9mmKurz.

I used to have a JR press, but am interested in a progressive setup. Would appreciate your thoughts on the rcbs pro 2000, Lee, hornady locknload, or any other rig you recommend yea or nay. I see some are sold in kits. Not wanting to buy incrementally, would I be better off buying a kit or would I be better off buying single components and assembling my setup myself.

Thanks in advance.

NAMVET72
03-13-2012, 06:59 AM
It actually depends on your Budget I have used the RCBS Progreesive and the Dillon Progressive Presses and I like the Dillon the Best............. Pretty Expensive but Quality and Warranty is what made me buy it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Clyde

ColMike
03-13-2012, 07:37 AM
It actually depends on your Budget I have used the RCBS Progreesive and the Dillon Progressive Presses and I like the Dillon the Best............. Pretty Expensive but Quality and Warranty is what made me buy it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Clyde

Target of about $750 complete. Less is ok, more is ok but not too much more.

AutoMag
03-13-2012, 09:26 AM
This is kind of like the Chevy vs Ford debate!! Of course we all know that Chevy is better..................:D:D

I started out with a Lee Hand Loader many many years ago for 357 Magnum only. I went from there to an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme which I still have and from there to a Dillon RL550B which has been a fantastic press.

ColMike
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Well, I do have a Silverado?..

AutoMag
03-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Well, I do have a Silverado?..

So do I!!!

I opened up a can of whoop ass on this one!!!:D:D

Dave Bob
03-13-2012, 10:53 AM
A Dillon SDB will do pistol rounds if thats all you will want, but the dies are proprietary. A 550 is probably the way to go. Go to http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.html His prices are the same as Dillon but he ships free if you order over $400. The 550 is a great press but if you think you need more go with the 650.

Dave

DaFadda
03-13-2012, 09:52 PM
My turn? I would humbly suggest the path that I have chosen. I started on a RCBS Rock Chucker KIT.... bought it as a "return" from RCBS direct. Got a good deal. Loaded on it for a couple years. (45ACP and .38/357)

About 2 years ago, I got the itch to go progressive. But I didn't. I actually like the "batch process" that is required in Single Stage reloading, but I didn't like having to reset my dies for each process.

Soooo I went with a Lee Classic Turrret 4 hole press. I have four turrets, one for each: 38, 357,45 and .40 cal. Once set and locked into position, I very seldom have to make an adjustment. To change calibers, I just replace the turret and move on. I turned off the auto advance option, so I now will deprime 100 (or 500)... the bell the same 500, then charge/seat them.

For me, this set up provides the optimum combination between progressive and single stage. I can QC the rounds much better this way.

I'm guessing if your shooting 1000 or more rounds per month, progressive is the way to go. But I DO shoot 150 or so rounds every week, so thats in the 600 per month range and I never seem to run out of boolits!

"Just sayin"
DaFadda

Neil Casper
03-14-2012, 12:03 AM
I drive Fords and a Honda and use a Dillon Square Deal 'B' and a Dillon 550B.

I'm very happy with all of the above. :D

I think the Square Deal 'B' is what you may be looking for, or some other QUALITY progressive from one of the major manufacturers.

I use the SDB to crank out my .45s. It doesn't take up very much bench space either.

This may help.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/customize-reloader.html

ColMike
03-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. We'll see what happens.

AutoMag
03-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. We'll see what happens.

Good deal Mike!!

This is really a subject you need to research as what works for me might not be exactly what you are looking for!!:)

RandallZ
03-14-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm now using a Hornady L&L, and I love it. My old Rock Chucker is only used for primer pocket swaging, when necessary--which isn't very often. On the cost side of things, the L&L can be found for about $369 but you still need shell plates, quick change collets, and dies (about $100 per caliber). To help with the pain, Hornady sends your choice of 500 boolits when you send in the UPC and refund form from the press, so that's like a free $100 or so.

Other than the press, I use a hand primer, powder scale, and digital caliper. None of those are especially expensive.

Randall