PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a micro carry 9mm

Boats
09-27-2020, 03:35 PM
I'm getting interested in something very small for daily carry. Right now I've got both a 1911 Commander and a Beretta 92X Compact and I love them both.

Still, I'm looking for something really small but still with decent firepower and a decent mag size.

I have an acquaintance that carries a Sig P365 for daily carry in a Kydex IWB holster. It's a striker fired, polymer lower, 9mm with 10+1 or 13+1 capacity. And it's really, shockingly, small, considering the specs. He's a professional who knows weapons better than I do, and I was almost ready to go down to the Marine Corps Exchange and special order one.

But before I do, I wanted to see if you guys have any advice regarding this particular pistol or something else that fits the requirements.

Comments?

Boats

Caleb
09-27-2020, 05:54 PM
No experience with the P365, although I do daily Cary the G43X. Why did I choose the Glock over the Sig? Simple answer........ 15+1 in the same sized package as a 365 with the extended 13 round magazine. You might look up said pistol and come back here saying it only holds 10 rounds and you would be correct. But there is a secret weapon...... 15 rounds mags made by Shield Arms that are the exact same footprint as the factory Glock 10 rounders. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackKnight
09-27-2020, 06:04 PM
I’m a Glock guy and agree with Caleb. But, also look at the Sig P365xl.
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p365-xl.html
Try them both and see which one fits your needs.

Riverpigusmc
09-27-2020, 06:36 PM
Only person I heard had a micro gun is Caleb...so I got nothing

Caleb
09-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Only person I heard had a micro gun is Caleb...so I got nothing

At least it doesn’t shoot blanks like yours.

sdmc530
09-27-2020, 09:19 PM
Sigs are good, but spendy. Our officers are given the sig 380 not sure the model as their cover carry gun. They really like them.

DrHenley
09-27-2020, 10:36 PM
Watch this video. It piqued my interest in the P365

Ian: "That (the P365) kind of handles more like a miniature real gun than a small gun"
Joel: "OO! OO we like that! We like that a LOT! We WANT ONE!" (after shooting the P365)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BHRNL8Q9BQ

Boats
09-28-2020, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I had watched a bunch of youtube videos and they were all pretty positive. I really like Hickok45 and he likes these pistols a lot. Just search "hickok45 P365" to check them out. I hadn't seen your example and thanks for sending it.

The XL version seems pretty popular, but it's also larger, and I want something small.

There is also a newer model called the P365 SAS, which has recessed sights and controls. It requires a tool to break down. The positive is that it is ported, reducing recoil. I pretty much forgot that one when I read that you couldn't strip it with just your hands. BTW, I don't particularly like 1911s requiring a bushing wrench, either. My custom requires one, and is very tight as well. A PITA to field strip.

Cheers!

Boats

[QUOTE=DrHenley;172731]Watch this video. It piqued my interest in the P365

Ian: "That (the P365) kind of handles more like a miniature real gun than a small gun"
Joel: "OO! OO we like that! We like that a LOT! We WANT ONE!" (after shooting the P365)

RandallZ
09-28-2020, 09:33 AM
It's a striker fired, polymer lower, 9mm with 10+1 or 13+1 capacity.

I have a P365, bought about two years ago--on sale plus military discount took the sting out of the price. Great gun, terrific ergonomics. BTW, its either 10+1 or 12+1...not 13+1.

Randall

Boats
09-28-2020, 09:54 AM
Right! I knew that but have been looking and thinking about so many pistols...

I don't know how much they'll be asking at the MCX, or even if they'll have it, but hopefully they will and at less than MSRP :)

No tax helps as well.

Boats

I have a P365, bought about two years ago--on sale plus military discount took the sting out of the price. Great gun, terrific ergonomics. BTW, its either 10+1 or 12+1...not 13+1.

Randall

Boats
09-29-2020, 10:29 AM
Well, between what you all have said, and the consensus on youtube, I've decided to pull the trigger on a P365.

I'll be heading on down to the Marince Corps Exchange this afternoon to see it they have one or will order one for me. They have a deal that matches any price they can see, and these things are advertised at $499 lots of places, so I guess that's what I'll end up paying. I'll also order 2x12 round mags to go with.

I bought a holster for it last night and should see it later this week from Concealment Express (https://www.concealmentexpress.com/products/sig-sauer-p365-iwb-kydex-holster?avad=194130_b1d336085).

It turns out there are lots of aftermarket doodads to hang off these things, including a 15 round mag that I will pass on. Too long. Also a flat trigger, lights, sights, and all sorts of stuff. For now, just the pistol, holster, and 12 round mags for me.

Thanks for your comments and advice!

Boats

Randall

Boats
09-29-2020, 06:00 PM
The MCX had them in stock at $499, but I opted for the Tac Pack at $529.

Tac Pack has 2x10 rd mags, 1x12 rd mag, Sig Kydex OWB/IWB holster.

https://i.postimg.cc/MppW08Cp/p365.jpg

The last round in the 12 rd mag is very tight. My poor arthritic hands couldn't manage it, so I used the Uplula.

It's going to feel real strange carrying a weapon in condition 1 without a safety, but I'm informed that is the way to carry these things.

So far very impressed!

Tomorrow is range day.

Boats

sdmc530
09-29-2020, 08:08 PM
congrats...can't wait for the range report!

RandallZ
09-30-2020, 09:45 AM
The last round in the 12 rd mag is very tight. My poor arthritic hands couldn't manage it, so I used the Uplula.

I had to pick up a Glock loading assist thing from my LGS. Works great.

I predict you will be happy with how it shoots. It's amazing, to me, how well they engineered this pistol.

Randall

DaFadda
09-30-2020, 09:47 AM
The MCX had them in stock at $499, but I opted for the Tac Pack at $529.

Tac Pack has 2x10 rd mags, 1x12 rd mag, Sig Kydex OWB/IWB holster.

https://i.postimg.cc/MppW08Cp/p365.jpg

It's going to feel real strange carrying a weapon in condition 1 without a safety, but I'm informed that is the way to carry these things.

So far very impressed!

Tomorrow is range day.

Boats

Shouldn't feel too strange. Revolvers have no safety, and they've been around a long long time. I wish I had seen this post a day ago, I have the sig 365, and yes, it is small and compact, but its trigger hurts my hand after a dozen or so rounds. IMHO, it definitely is not a "range gun". If you can get a few hundred rounds through it, you can consider it a reliable carry gun. Good luck and congratulations on the purchase!!

Caleb
09-30-2020, 10:27 AM
Congratulations on the new pistol! May it serve you well.